Evan Riggs (Sports intern)
Evan is a sports intern for the Lawrence Journal-World.
- ‘I refuse to lose’: Assistant Tony Hull’s personality makes him a hit for KU football
- June 27, 2017
- Once Tony Hull pursued jobs coaching high school football, he knew he ultimately wanted to be a college coach. Now that he’s accomplished that at age 35, Hull is doing something even more remarkable: he’s turning Kansas into a legitimate factor on the recruiting trail by plucking top tier-talent from Louisiana. By Evan Riggs
- Lions sweep City Showdown with late rally
- May 10, 2017
- Through five innings, Lawrence High sophomore Kampbell Kilburn’s sacrifice fly was only run of the softball City Showdown. With one out and a runner on first in the top of the sixth, Free State had a chance to change that.
- Big inning sparks LHS softball in City Showdown victory
- May 8, 2017
- The Lawrence High softball team did exactly what coach Nicole Riley wanted: it got off to quick start, and played “aggressive, excited and intense.”
- KU baseball completes series sweep
- May 7, 2017
- Just over a month ago, the Kansas baseball team was five games under .500, and a lack of plate discipline was one of the biggest culprits. Fast-forward to Sunday, and the Jayhawks are now five games over .500 (27-22) and have turned that weakness into a strength.
- Kansas baseball sweeps twinbill
- May 6, 2017
- Early in Saturday’s doubleheader, Kansas baseball looked like a team playing its sixth game in seven days, as well as its second doubleheader in that time frame. Coach Ritch Price noted the velocity of a lot of his pitchers was down from earlier in the week, and freshman James Cosentino admitted the team was worn out.
- Firebirds’ Nickel, Czapinski take third place at regional tennis
- May 5, 2017
- Moments after the second set in the third-place match Friday, Free State High sophomore Sawyer Nickel smacked a tennis ball straight above his head before yelling out in frustration.
- Hill, FSHS baseball program notch 300th win
- April 28, 2017
- Moments after the Free State baseball team’s 4-1 victory over Blue Valley North on Friday evening, coach Mike Hill received a standing ovation from players, parents, and other fans that still remained at the team’s home field.
- Free State’s Czapinski, Nickel capture league doubles titles
- April 27, 2017
- As the deficit grew for the Free State doubles team of Erik Czapinski and Sawyer Nickel, so did their frustration. With the championship match of the Sunflower League Tournament slowly slipping away, Czapinski received an important reminder from his grandmother.
- Lawrence High’s Krom 3rd in javelin
- April 23, 2017
- It was an ideal setup for Hunter Krom at Saturday’s Kansas Relays. The Lawrence High junior entered the javelin throw as the top seed with the wind at his back, and most importantly, throwing with his teammate, junior Harrison King.