Cody Howard (News Director)
I've been News Director at 6News since December 2000. I oversee a staff of 17 and work closely with print and on-line staffers and editors to facilitate daily convergence and long-range, cross-media projects.
I love the fact that news in Lawrence and our surrounding towns is not all gloom and doom. We tell stories that truly impact our viewer's lives -- and hopefully leave our audience smiling from time to time. It's nice not to be in an "if it bleeds it leads" atmosphere.
It's also great working in a community where the audience is so well-informed and engaged.
In my spare time, I enjoy playing softball and spending time with my two nieces. I came to Channel 6 in March 2000 after 3 years as a reporter for KLWN/KLZR radio in Lawrence. I'm a native Kansan and 1997 graduate of Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas.
You can follow me on Twitter, where I provide instant updates on news and what's going on in Lawrence.
- Lawrence police officer involved in early morning scuffle at west Lawrence grocery store
- December 2, 2009
- Man pointed what turned out to be a toy pistol at officer’s car. He was eventually taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a mental evaluation.
- Suspect in Kansas City, Kan., home invasion taken into custody in North Lawrence
- October 23, 2009
- A person wanted in connection with a home invasion in Kansas City, Kan., during which two of the suspects were shot, was apprehended Friday morning in North Lawrence.
- Two Lawrence residents injured in collision on Highway 24-40 near Lawrence
- 10:12 a.m., August 25, 2009 Updated 05:42 p.m.
- Crews shutting down portions of the road to deal with the accident
- 6News bringing live broadcasts to area communities
- August 19, 2009
- 6News is taking its 6 p.m. show on the road in September — and we want you to be there see it live.
- Hobbs Park siren is not working
- March 23, 2009
- Douglas County Emergency Management officials said Monday afternoon that construction at Hobbs Park has a storm warning siren at 11th and Delaware out of service, so they are advising residents in the area to have an alternate method of receiving a tornado warning.
- City batting cages now open
- March 6, 2009
- The batting cages at the Clinton Lake Softball Complex, 5101 Speicher Rd., are now open.
- DNA tests confirm conviction in 30-year-old rape cases
- March 3, 2009
- New DNA tests performed on 30-year-old rape cases in Lawrence confirm the man convicted in the crimes committed them.
- Area residents invited to tape messages to U.S. troops
- November 19, 2008
- Area residents wanting to send a message to troops fighting overseas this holiday season have a chance this weekend to do just that.
- Journalism academy invites applicants
- August 10, 2008
- Are you interested in today’s changing media? Would you be willing to share your insights and experiences with our journalists and the public about an issue that concerns all of us?