Chris Duderstadt (Shawnee Dispatch sports reporter)
I was born and raised in Overland Park as the only child of Glen and Hilary Duderstadt. After graduating from Shawnee Mission West High School in 2009, I attended Baker University. I ran cross country and track for four years at Baker, and joined Delta Tau Delta fraternity. While running and joining a fraternity required a lot of time commitment, the bulk of my schedule revolved around my work with the Baker Orange newspaper. I was the sports editor of the Baker Orange for my sophomore and junior years before becoming the editor-in-chief as a senior. I reported on every sport Baker had to offer with the exception of cross country and track since I competed in them. I graduated from Baker in May of 2013 with a degree in mass media, and moved to Orlando the day after to begin an internship with the Sanford River Rats of Florida Collegiate Summer Baseball League. At the conclusion of the Florida League season in August, I was named the FCSL Journalist of the Year at Tropicana Field, home of Major League Baseball’s Tampa Bay Rays. I have stayed true to my Kansas City roots as a fan of the Royals, Chiefs and Sporting KC. Although Sporting KC has been the only one of the three to have any postseason success during my 23 years of life, my fingers are crossed for the Royals to finally earn a playoff berth and for the Chiefs to pull out their first postseason win since I was 2. Along with working as a part-time copy editor at the sports desk, I also help out with reporting assignments as needed. I am also the house director at Delta Tau Delta at Baker and plan to help out with the BU cross country and track teams as my time allows it this year.
- Rock Chalk Park draws rave reviews after Junior Olympics
- July 30, 2017
- After hosting events such as the NCAA West Preliminaries in 2016 and the Big 12 Championships in May, Kansas track and field coach Stanley Redwine was looking forward to see how Rock Chalk Park would be able to accommodate the USATF National Junior Olympics. By Chris Duderstadt
- Local trio eager to learn from Junior Olympics
- July 28, 2017
- Corpus Christi’s Jack Keathley-Helms and Lawrence High’s Evann Seratte and Ella Stewart all wrapped up their respective experiences at the Junior Olympics on Friday, and will look to take what they learned to improve on a few things going into next school year.
- Free State’s Childress, 1500 duo highlight area action at Junior Olympics
- July 28, 2017
- Free State sophomore Auna Childress (triple jump), Baldwin High freshman Ambrynn Stewart (1,500 meters) and Corpus Christi eighth grader Jack Keathley-Helms (1,500 meters) highlighted Day Four of the USATF National Junior Olympics for the Lawrence area athletes on Thursday at Rock Chalk Park.
- Venters caps FSHS career with another title; area athletes conclude state track meet
- May 27, 2017
- After winning the girls Class 6A section of the 3,200 meters on Friday night at Wichita State’s Cessna Stadium, Free State senior Emily Venters added one more state title to her resume with a first-place finish in the 1,600 meters on Saturday to round out her tenure with the Firebirds.
- Firebirds’ Venters coasts to 3,200 championship on first day of state track meet
- May 26, 2017
- Free State senior Emily Venters found herself in an old, but familiar position in the Class 6A girls 3,200-meter run of the state track and field meet on Friday at Wichita State’s Cessna Stadium.
- Free State softball falls to Gardner-Edgerton in regional semifinals
- May 17, 2017
- Free State’s softball team had no answers for Gardner-Edgerton senior pitcher Abby Cox, and couldn’t contain the Trailblazers high-powered offense in a 10-0 run-rule loss on Tuesday in the Class 6A regional semifinals.
- Champions cap second-place finish for KU men’s track and field at Big 12 meet
- May 14, 2017
- Mitch Cooper (discus), Strymar Livingston (800 meters) and Hussain Al Hizam (pole vault) won their respective events on Sunday at Rock Chalk Park to help the Kansas men’s track and field team to a second-place finish at the Big 12 Championships. Sharon Lokedi won the 5,000-meter run to cap a fifth-place finish for the KU women’
- Conley wins long jump title to pace KU track on Day Two of Big 12 meet
- May 13, 2017
- Kansas senior Sydney Conley won her second Big 12 title in the women’s long jump to lead the Jayhawks on Day Two of the Big 12 track and field championships on Saturday at Rock Chalk Park.
- FSHS girls swimming 2nd, LHS 3rd at league meet
- May 6, 2017
- Free State junior Claire Campbell broke the Sunflower League meet record in the 200-yard freestyle, and added another victory in the 100-yard freestyle to lead the Firebirds to a second-place finish. Lawrence High followed in third after winning three events. The Lions’ 200-medley relay team of Maddie Dean, Marian Frick, Emily Guo and Megan Drumm set the school record en route to a first-place finish. Guo (200-yard IM) and Frick (100-yard breaststroke) also claimed individual event titles.