Bruce Chladny is horticulture agent at K-State Research and Extension-Douglas County.
- Homemade wreaths make simple projects
- November 25, 2007
- The holiday season is full of life as festive decorations spread holiday cheer. And nothing says “Happy Holidays” like a homemade evergreen wreath. With a little time, a few supplies and some imagination, you can create a holiday centerpiece like no other.
- For termite control, call a professional
- May 3, 2007
- As warm days heat the ground and rain increases soil moisture, termites are spreading their wings and taking flight to find a new home. Oftentimes, the winged reproductives are the only evidence of the attacking colony.
- When ants invade, follow them home
- April 19, 2007
- Most of our homes are safe, warm and just perfect for raising a family. And with the rainy cold weather of recent days, many insect pests have come to realize this as well. As we move into the nicer days of spring, ants are becoming a problem.
- Damage to plants still unpredictable
- April 12, 2007
- For years, meteorologists have reported the average high and low temperatures, normal rainfall amounts and other statistics for any given day. But, just once, I would like to experience a “normal” season in Kansas.
- Spring’s colorful weeds are beautiful to view but difficult to control
- April 5, 2007
- Purple, pink, yellow, and white … this is not a reference to the lilac, crabapple, forsythia or ornamental pear tree blossoms. Rather, it is a description of the color display seen right now in yards, gardens and flower beds.
- Grub control should start in July
- March 22, 2007
- Many gardeners do not realize that sub-soil, there is a world teeming with life. Bacteria, fungi, insects and animals call the cool organic earth home. One such highly recognizable - yet misunderstood - insect is the grub.
- Mixing tall fescue species still best bet
- March 15, 2007
- At some point in our lives, we have all been warned: “If it is too good to be true, then it probably is.” As discerning shoppers, we heed this warning when looking for a used car, dialing the phone to order from a late-night infomercial, or buying investment property in some other part of the country.
- Warm up your body before tackling garden
- March 8, 2007
- With warming weather and brighter days, gardeners already are starting those early-season cleaning tasks - raking leaves, cleaning flower beds, moving stones and flower pots, and cleaning out the garden shed or garage.
- Further pruning solves tree woes
- March 1, 2007
- Last week I wrote about the perils of topping trees. I discussed how it stresses the tree, causes decay, encourages long-term hazardous growth, can sunburn the fragile vascular system and creates an all-around ugly tree.