Audrey Lintner is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World and lawrence.com. She writes the Bite Sighs column.
- Bite Sighs: Homemade shortbread cookies couldn’t be simpler
- June 15, 2016
- Greetings, kitchen cronies! There are some things in life that are meant to go together. Peanut butter and jelly, cookies and cream, me and anything chocolate. Another great pairing is summer and shortbread.
- Bite Sighs: Sweeten your brownies with … plums and cinnamon?
- May 18, 2016
- Hey, there! Did you ever have one of those days when you really, really needed a serious dose of chocolate? I have ‘em a lot, so I’m always on the lookout for the next great brownie recipe. Chewy, fudgy or cake style, brownies deliver a much-needed cocoa blast that can perk up a rough day with just one bite.
- Bite Sighs: Semi-gluten-free cookies to help you kick the wheat
- April 20, 2016
- If you, like a lot of people these days, are making the switch to a gluten-free diet, you’ve probably made two discoveries already.
- Bite Sighs: Homemade cream puffs are a piece of cake
- March 16, 2016
- It happens to all of us sooner or later. We discover that we have a friend who (gasp) doesn’t like chocolate. I know, it truly boggles the mind. Don’t worry. There’s no need to get new friends. Simply expand your culinary horizons with the super-versatile cream puff!
- Bite Sighs: Raspberry tea cake smothered in chocolate
- February 17, 2016
- Since our local theater group went into rehearsals for “The Importance of Being Earnest,” I’ve heard a lot of talk about tea cups and tea carts and, most importantly, tea cake.
- Bite Sighs: A decadent S’more Cheesecake to ruin your New Year’s resolution
- January 20, 2016
- Happy New Year! Are you ready to scoff at your resolution to eat only healthy things? Me too! Put down the grilled celery and pick up your fork; it’s time for S’more Cheesecake!
- Bite Sighs: Cranberry spice loaf a not-too-sweet treat
- December 16, 2015
- December is typically one big sugarfest, with cakes and cookies and candy of all descriptions.
- Bite Sighs: Spiced apple sandwich a sophisticated way to satisfy a sugar craving
- October 21, 2015
- On those rare occasions when you look at a selection of snacks and think, “Nah, too sweet,” coffee cakes can be a nice change of pace.
- Bite Sighs: Soda bread perfect complement to fall
- September 16, 2015
- When it’s a million degrees in the shade, cold weather is both longed-for and seemingly out of reach. In spite of what the thermometer has been saying, fall weather isn’t too far off; it’s almost time to break out recipes that don’t include shaved ice as a main ingredient.