Andrew Hartsock (Associate sports editor)
Andrew was born and reared in Overland Park, but he has lived most of his life in Lawrence.
Andrew put himself through Kansas University by sacrificing nights and weekends to a part-time job as a sports writer at the Journal-World. After five years of KU toil, he was offered a full-time gig at the J-W, and it proved to be an offer he couldn't refuse.
In his two-plus decades of Journal-World servitude, Andrew has covered everything from preps to pros, from archery to wrestling.
He currently is associate sports editor, a fancy title meaning he can sacrifice his nights and weekends to help produce the Journal-World sports section. He also regularly writes a blog on the joys and challenges of commuting by bike called Rolling Along.
Andrew and his wife, Janice, have two children, Carlyn and Brooks.
- Jump for joy: KU’s Andrea Geubelle relishes Indoor titles
- March 12, 2013
- The last time Andrea Geubelle was at an NCAA Track and Field Championships, she thought she had won another individual title but later learned she hadn’t. Friday, she thought she hadn’t won and later learned she had. By Andrew Hartsock
- Veritas volleyball cruises to state crown
- October 28, 2012
- Veritas Christian avenged its most recent loss in the semifinals, then rolled over the Wichita Warriors in the championship match to win its second Kansas Christian Athletic Association state title in three years. By Andrew Hartsock
- Ex-KU star McCray staying busy in WNBA
- August 14, 2012
- Danielle McCray is flip-flopping on the merits of the Olympics-necessitated break in the WNBA season.
- Queen of Pain: Extreme cyclist Rebecca Rusch chases racing’s thrills to Kansas
- May 31, 2012
- They call her the Queen of Pain, but don’t be misled.
- KU softball gets ‘complete’ rout of ISU
- April 22, 2012
- The first two games of Kansas University’s Big 12 weekend softball series with Iowa State weren’t much to look at.
- FSHS softball falters in season opener
- April 4, 2012
- One of Free State High softball coach Lee Ice’s biggest concerns heading into the Firebirds’ season opener was how his two sophomore pitchers would react.
- Firebirds baseball finally grabs first win, in extras against SM South
- April 4, 2012
- Free State High’s baseball scoreboard looked like something only a computer could love.
- KU softball loses finale of OSU series
- March 26, 2012
- Given all that Kansas University’s softball team accomplished during its weekend series with Oklahoma State, KU coach Megan Smith wasn’t about to let a little thing like a loss in the finale dampen her spirits.
- Free State shuts out Topeka High, 2-0, will face LHS in regionals rematch
- October 26, 2011
- For the first 30 or so minutes, an observer with a halfway-decent sense of recent Free State High soccer history had to wonder if the Firebirds’ first game in the Class 6A state playoffs might be their last.
- A new beginning: Darius Willis thrilled to be at QB, er, LB for KU
- August 15, 2011
- It didn’t raise so much as an eyebrow when Darius Willis reported to Kansas University’s preseason football drills sporting a new number.