Andrew Hartsock (Managing sports editor)
Andrew was born and reared in Overland Park, but he has lived most of his life in Lawrence.
Andrew put himself through Kansas University by sacrificing nights and weekends to a part-time job as a sports writer at the Journal-World. After five years of KU toil, he was offered a full-time gig at the J-W, and it proved to be an offer he couldn't refuse.
In his two-plus decades of Journal-World servitude, Andrew has covered everything from preps to pros, from archery to wrestling.
He currently is associate sports editor, a fancy title meaning he can sacrifice his nights and weekends to help produce the Journal-World sports section. He also regularly writes a blog on the joys and challenges of commuting by bike called Rolling Along.
Andrew and his wife, Janice, have two children, Carlyn and Brooks.
- FSHS volleyball finally home, but loses
- October 4, 2013
- Few could blame Free State High’s volleyball players if they had started to think somebody, somewhere had it in for them. The Firebirds lost their home opener — scheduled a full month into the season — to Sunflower League co-leaders Olathe East and Olathe South. By Andrew Hartsock
- Dream team: Ex-Jayhawk Hull-Tietz relishes pro softball job
- August 10, 2013
- Since Maggie Hull-Tietz played her last softball game for KU a couple of months back, she joined the elite ranks of professional softball players, added a husband and a hyphen, took a quick two-week honeymoon, then reported back to her Bandits team, where she and her teammates found themselves title-hunting in National Professional Fastpitch. By Andrew Hartsock
- Ex-KU star Angel Goodrich finding way in WNBA
- June 25, 2013
- Former Kansas University guard Angel Goodrich says she’s adapting well to the more physical brand of basketball in the WNBA. By Andrew Hartsock
- Jump for joy: KU’s Andrea Geubelle relishes Indoor titles
- March 12, 2013
- The last time Andrea Geubelle was at an NCAA Track and Field Championships, she thought she had won another individual title but later learned she hadn’t. Friday, she thought she hadn’t won and later learned she had. By Andrew Hartsock
- Veritas volleyball cruises to state crown
- October 28, 2012
- Veritas Christian avenged its most recent loss in the semifinals, then rolled over the Wichita Warriors in the championship match to win its second Kansas Christian Athletic Association state title in three years. By Andrew Hartsock
- Ex-KU star McCray staying busy in WNBA
- August 14, 2012
- Danielle McCray is flip-flopping on the merits of the Olympics-necessitated break in the WNBA season.
- Queen of Pain: Extreme cyclist Rebecca Rusch chases racing’s thrills to Kansas
- May 31, 2012
- They call her the Queen of Pain, but don’t be misled.
- KU softball gets ‘complete’ rout of ISU
- April 22, 2012
- The first two games of Kansas University’s Big 12 weekend softball series with Iowa State weren’t much to look at.
- FSHS softball falters in season opener
- April 4, 2012
- One of Free State High softball coach Lee Ice’s biggest concerns heading into the Firebirds’ season opener was how his two sophomore pitchers would react.