Andrew Baker (Sports Reporter/Anchor)
I joined the Channel 6 Sports team immediately after graduating from the University of Kansas in 2007 and feel very fortunate to have found a job in my chosen field and be part of the coverage team of the Orange Bowl and Final Four Championship. You can find me anchoring the 10 p.m. sports broadcast Sunday through Friday and broadcasting our High School Games of the Week with John Morris.
My Dad is Canadian, so I was born in Toronto, Ontario, and lived there for my first eight years. However, my Mom's Kansas roots finally brought us back to the Overland Park area where I attended grades three through 12. Then, following family tradition, I enrolled at KU and the School of Journalism. While there I realized that the closest I could ever come to "running out of that tunnel" was behind a microphone. Hence, the allure of sports broadcasting.
While at Blue Valley Northwest I enjoyed playing freshman basketball and all four years on the varsity golf team. At Northwest I was awarded first place in the Sports Feature category by the Kansas Association of Broadcasters. While at KU I finished first place for the Mark of Excellence Award for a story on the "Evolution of KU Cheerleading." The Summer before my senior year, I interned with WDAF in Kansas City and was able to learn what it takes to succeed in this business.
When I'm not working, I enjoy my friends, golfing, watching movies, eating vegetables and taking my vitamins.
- T-Bones take down RailCats
- August 3, 2009
- The Kansas City T-Bones defeated the Gary Southshore RailCats, 5-2.
- KU football summer tour rolls through Topeka
- July 27, 2009
- The 2009 Jayhawk Summer Tour rolled through Topeka Sunday. Fans in Topeka gathered to help welcome in the upcoming football season.
- Garlington leads KU volleyball into 2009 season
- July 23, 2009
- KU volleyball player Karina Garlington leads four returning starters back to the Horjesi Center this season.
- KU volleyball holds youth camp
- July 16, 2009
- The Kansas University volleyball team hosted kids Thursday at its annual youth camp.
- Langford hitting his stride overseas
- July 14, 2009
- Keith Langford, who scored nearly 2,000 points as a Jayhawk, is putting his NBA dreams on hold for another go-round in Europe.
- Lawrence swim meet starts
- July 10, 2009
- The 2009 Wave The Wheat swim meet started Friday and is set to rev up Saturday.
- Sky the limit for Johnson
- July 1, 2009
- Once freshman Elijah Johnson is healthy, the sky is the limit.
- Perkins hosts Golf Classic
- June 29, 2009
- KU Athletics Director Lew Perkins hosted his fifth annual Golf Classic at Alvamar Golf Course to benefit the Douglas County Special Olympics.
- KU’s Robinson embracing life on the hill
- June 24, 2009
- The regular season is five months away, but for KU freshman Thomas Robinson, it’s never too early to get your feet wet.