Sound Off

Sound Off: Truck dogs

Is there a city ordinance against having dogs in the back of pickup trucks while driving? If so, what is the fine?

According to the Lawrence City Code, it is unlawful to transport any animal in the open bed of a truck unless the animal is restrained in a cage or on a leash that will prevent the animal from jumping or falling off the vehicle. Violation of the ordinance is a misdemeanor, not a traffic infraction, so those cited must appear before a judge and could face jail time.

Comments

workinghard 11 months, 1 week ago

Knew a guy that would make his dog ride in the trunk of his car all the time.

Clark Coan 11 months, 1 week ago

I remember when drivers would put their kids in the back of a pickup truck (admittedly that was decades ago).

BTW, there will be about 25% fewer vehicles on city streets by the end of the week because most students and some faculty will have left town.

Stuart Evans 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm pretty sure this is the only safe way to transport your dog.

oldbaldguy 11 months, 1 week ago

people can't ride back there either, also misdemeanor. my gun dog loved riding in the back of the truck and he insisted in puting his front feet up on the side. first time he jumped out at a stop was the last time he rode back there. after that he rides in the cargo area of the suv and in a cage for long trips.

Agnostick 11 months, 1 week ago

Everyone knows the only safe way to transport a dog is in one of those carrier crates. Put the dog in the crate, strap the crate to the roof rack. Simple!

Chris Jeter 11 months, 1 week ago

and keep the damn things off your laps when you are driving...

Kyle Miller 11 months, 1 week ago

I get so sick and tired of hearing about people worrying about this issue! I've hauled every dog I've owned in the back of my truck and every dog I will have later on after the current one will ride in the bed of the truck. I've never seen the big issue with it. If a dog jumps out its they're own fault. Dogs are a lot smarter than what you may think, and also have an amazing sence of balance. 99% of the time they arnt going to do anything to endanger themselves!

bearded_gnome 11 months, 1 week ago

pleae! do not restrain your dog with a leash in the back of a pickup truck! that's just about as dangerous as no restraint at all, because dog can chke on collar or try to jump off and choke that way, or get flung around badly in case of accident or hard stop! only safe way in a pickup is a secured carier.

please think.
your dog relies on you to.