Sound Off

Sound Off: Loud event

What was the noisy party at the Douglas County Fairgrounds on April 26, from about 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.? How come those things are allowed to go on?

The event was a dance party organized by Life in Color — the same group that organized the Color Run in October. County officials gave the group permission to hold the event, said Bill Bell, director of maintenance for the fairgrounds, without realizing how loud the music would be. The organizers turned down the volume at the request of officials after nearby residents complained of the noise.

Comments

George_Braziller 2 years, 1 month ago

If they organize another Color Run I hope they do a better job organizing it and notifying East Lawrence residents about it. I had to park three blocks from my house because when I tried to get home I found that the street had been blocked off and vehicles weren't allowed. If I'd known the event was happening I would have made sure I was home and parked before it started.

Bike 2 years, 1 month ago

Color Run/ Life in Color Are a bit of a joke. They are for profit events masquerading as non profits.

PhilChiles 2 years, 1 month ago

When you say "masquerading", does that mean that they actively encourage people to believe that it's a nonprofit event? Or do people just tend to assume its nonprofit, since these kind of events usually are? I haven't been to any of them, so I don't know.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

"I was not there"

and that is where I quit reading your remarks.

Seems a lot of people who "weren't there" are chiming in on this issue.

George_Braziller 2 years, 1 month ago

It has happened more than one. Three blocks IS a big deal when the bed of your pickup is loaded with bags of mulch.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

We live close enough that we heard it and it wasn't nearly as loud as the crashup derby.

acg 2 years, 1 month ago

..."and you kids turn down that loud racket. And stay off my damned lawn!!"