Sound Off

Sound Off: Stoplight timing

What actions will the City’s traffic engineers take to ensure that driving into and out of town on K-10 doesn’t become even more miserable with the new stoplight at O’Connell Road? Currently the timing of the lights at Haskell& 23rd and Harper & 23rd is awful. I have a knot in my stomach already thinking about the poor timing that will guarantee yet another stop for commuters rather than ensuring a safe flow of traffic, emphasis on the flow.

Traffic signal timing software will be used to provide optimal traffic signal timing based on traffic volumes, speed and distance between traffic signals.

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

If the mere thought of ill-timed traffic signals causes knots in your stomach, then I suggest you stay home and hide 'neath your covers and study your pain.

matahari 1 year, 7 months ago

ha ha even worse is riding with your mother when she knows the EXACT length of every light in Lawrence and counts out loud fer sakes!

Tricky Gnosis 1 year, 7 months ago

So the answer is "the software we have will make it okay"?

That's odd because when I drove the T-Bus down 23rd Street, I could tell you the length of time each traffic signal would take to go from Red to Green. It's almost like the "software" consisted solely of a timer..... ;-)

thewayitis 1 year, 7 months ago

Riigghhhttt.....sure ,okay , GOOD ANSWER from the person that is paid to give good answers.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

yes, because the traffic flow for commuters is SO much more important than those who want to cross 23rd street on harper or haskell (yes, I am being sarcastic)

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

I have driven 23rd street during early commuting hours. I have also waited to cross 23rd street on harper and haskell during commuting hours, so I have no idea why they are complaining...

gccs14r 1 year, 7 months ago

You mean like living close to work?

Cassie Powell 1 year, 7 months ago

If you know there are certain lights that take longer in the direction you want to go... Leave a little earlier or take an alternate route?

Sunny Parker 1 year, 7 months ago

At $1.85 one way to KC, more drivers will opt to use K-10! Anyone know the reason for that increase on I70?

gccs14r 1 year, 7 months ago

Gotta find that promised $30 million in "efficiency" somewhere.

tolawdjk 1 year, 7 months ago

Be thankful its only that. If you take I-70 to the Denver airport via E-470 the 7ish miles costs you 3.25. One way.

The E stands for extortion.

puddleglum 1 year, 7 months ago

HA! try the other side of town. the stop light in front of wal mart on 6th st (congressional-the one the city paid for so that walmart could have its very own stop light) is ridiculous. It always give the right of way to congressional, even though 6th street IS hwy40. I often see 20 cars stopping to let 1 car pass through the intersection. very dangerous trying to slow down big trucks coming down the hill (east bound)... a real liability during winter months with icy conditions...even driving 20mph you slide downhill. The sensors are also faulty. during any kind of misty or freezing rain, the sensors freeze over and 'detect' a false traffic signature ( ghost image) from the north side of congressional, stopping traffic on 6th street for 5 minutes whilst motorists pile up at the light, trying to figure out why the signal cycled without any north-south traffic-then wondering whether to run thru like everyone else? or obey the law and wait for an eternity? Way to go lawrence a real 'green' community. the more trucks and cars that start and stop and idle, the more exhaust. Not to mention the additional expense to the motorist in wasting gasoline, sitting at a light. but go ahead-I get paid by the hour! hardy-haR!

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 7 months ago

I recommend the Turnpike if you live on the west side. You can drive faster, the KTA does a great job of clearing the snow in the winter, and you can avoid 23rd St during the evening rush. The driving time is the same from the I-70 Lecompton exit to I-435 & Metcalf as it is driving thru Lawrence and traveling on K-10. It's a little longer route but the time you save makes up for it.

jjt 1 year, 7 months ago

Build a proper full size roundabout and then teach folk how to use it. ;-))

Hooligan_016 1 year, 7 months ago

Not sure if serious ... but I fully support that option, haha

Jason Johnson 1 year, 7 months ago

I support the new stoplight. I live off O'Connell and traffic speeds on K-10 around that intersection are horrendous.

Jake Hess 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with the the writer's opinions. The timings of the intersections at 23rd and Haskell and 23rd and Harper are extremely inconvenient, if not out right terrible. The light cycles are programmed such that there is not enough time to get through both intersections in one run. They are timed to halt the flow of east and west bound traffic at both intersections. I don't understand why the city engineers can't stagger the time cycles so that lights stay green longer along 23rd. Crossing traffic at Harper and Haskell should get longer green lights as well, but in reality those intersections will need to be widened with more lanes in the near future to accomodate the increased volume of southwest trafficway traffic, IMO. If O'Connell isn't timed to cycle with and for the volumes on 23rd St., the end result will be cycles halting traffic at all three intersections. In which case droves of drivers (myself included) will likely boycott the the new light at O'Connell and find an actually effiecient route to K-10.

gccs14r 1 year, 7 months ago

The point of the ill-timed lights on 23rd is to create an illusion of congestion to try to get people to support the SLT.