Sound Off

Sound Off: License stickers

On a Kansas vehicle license plate, there is a “year” sticker that usually goes under the “month” sticker in the upper right hand corner to show that taxes have been paid for that year. Is it legal to put the year sticker anywhere on the license plate?

Douglas County Treasurer Paula Gilchrist says the state rules and regulations on license plates are clear and do not leave room for “creative stickering.” She notes that K.S.A. 8-134 (e) provides that the Department of Revenue’s director of vehicles, “shall designate the location on a number plate where such decal shall be affixed.” “For more than a decade, the Director of Motor Vehicles has designated the upper right hand corner of the license plate as location for the decal,” Gilchrist said.

If you have a question, call 832-7297 or send email to soundoff@ljworld.com.

Comments

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

Lots of sections of the vehicle code are not regularly enforced. If we have to choose what to enforce, I'd rather they go after moving violations such as failure to signal, crosswalk encroachment, and tailgating, or equipment violations such as bald tires or failed suspension, rather than concentrate on sticker stupidity.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 2 months ago

Agreed.

Technically the people that put KU/K-State stickers on their plates are breaking the law as well.

fivedollarmc 1 year, 2 months ago

Cops on K10 like to pull people over for having the sticker in the "wrong" place. How do I know? It happened to me.

Also, it's not a ticketable offense (so the officer told me). It was late at night, and as always, they were fishing for DUI's or outstanding warrants.

Rancho 1 year, 2 months ago

I got my new sticker last month and it is too big to fit in space of the previous one. It had to overlap the top of the license numbers.

colicole81 1 year, 2 months ago

No, they are too big! They are almost twice as big as in previous years.

engagedecoy 1 year, 2 months ago

They are made to cover both the old stickers now. This sticker also shows the license number on them now too. So no stealing stickers to give the appearance of a valid tag.

James Kirk 1 year, 2 months ago

I haven't done that since school.

Phoghorn 1 year, 2 months ago

That applies to two or three comments on this thread...

Curtis Lange 1 year, 2 months ago

They're not too big. You probably did it like I've seen others do though and place the new sticker BELOW the old month sticker. The new stickers are an all in one sticker and fit in the spot for what used to be for the month and year like this: http://i.imgur.com/fOyXMr8.jpg

jafs 1 year, 2 months ago

Do people not even read?

The new stickers came with clear instructions on how they were supposed to be put on license plates.

Phoghorn 1 year, 2 months ago

Sounds like we have a bad case of sticker shock!

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 2 months ago

This year they told us to put a large sticker they gave us over both of the previous stickers. We did that, but it is not large enough to cover them completely. It is about time they issued new plates, with a place for the larger sticker if this is what they are going to. We have had the same plates for a long time.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 2 months ago

Thats why you take the old stickers off...

gsxr600 1 year, 2 months ago

You won't be very hard pressed to see someone rocking a color other than yellow or orange. They're everywhere. Whether or not they have paid their taxes is another question entirely but I would assume people are not that stupid not to put their new stickers on once they've paid annual taxes.

Drivers also get away with not having any working brake lights. Not one, but all three out. If they've gotten away with it that long for all of them to go out, clearly the LPD doesn't have any sort of focus on traffic enforcement.

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

Last year I neglected to put my new sticker on before the first of the next month. I got a ticket for it on the first. I got it dismissed the same day, but still. I'd wanted to clean the plate and remove both old stickers before putting on the new one, but hadn't gotten around to it. Now I have old sticker peeking out from beneath the new one.

juma 1 year, 2 months ago

I am wondering if the new larger sticker that includes the info of year and month was less expensive (less tax money) to print than having two stickers? Seems to me that the one larger sticker was cheaper. If so, then thanks to the Topeka bureaucrats.

SpeedRacer 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm totally confused. I got new stickers today and they look just like last year's (except they are red) . They are square with the year and month. I just put it right over last year's sticker.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 2 months ago

The new stickers started being given out approx last April so there were individuals who just recently got the new stickers for the first time.

budwhysir 1 year, 2 months ago

I am not sure why this would be an effective question other than for those unable to follow directions. If a location is specified, why would one go against this placement?

when a new tag is purchased and paid for, the stickers are put on while at the DMV. So when you renew and get new stickers. I would suggest the old fashion way of cleaning the old sticker to be free of dirt and grime and adhering the new sticker on top.... And yes the stickers are made to be NOT REMOVABLE so don't try to tear old sticker off....

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

If you get a thick enough stack of stickers, they peel right off. It's good to not let them build up more than three deep or so.