Sound Off

Sound Off: Antiques Roadshow

How could I get in touch with the “Antiques Roadshow” people?

You can send them questions and comments, apply for tickets or submit items for the 2013 tour at

If you have a Sound Off question, call 832-7297 or send email to

Joe Blackford II 2 years, 8 months ago

I have two EXIT sign transoms from the 1916 Wichita Theatre (100 block E. Douglas), removed during the 1969 demolition. When Antiques Roadshow comes to Lawrence, I'll be there.

George_Braziller 2 years, 8 months ago

Did the tickets have your name on them or were they valid for whoever had them? I entered the drawing for myself but if there's no name on them I'll have my mom enter and increase my odds. She lives in the Wichita area and I doubt she'd want to drive to KC.

blindrabbit 2 years, 8 months ago

Wife and I have been watching the Antiques Road Show for many years! It is our impression that the "value" estimates by the staff have become "way out-of-line" to reality, ,either way over or undervalues. I am not an expert, but we delve into antiques, and have bought a good number of items over the years. , Our feeling are that the program has been engineered for spectacular estimates to enhance viewership. Still watch it though, just hope it does not become a version of "pawn shop", and other gimicks.

George_Braziller 2 years, 8 months ago

The appraised value depends mostly on where the appraiser is from and what something sells for in his or her market. A piece of furniture that would sell for $1,000 in New York would sell for about 35% of that or less in most parts of Kansas.

Janis Pool 2 years, 8 months ago

Tickets are a awarded by a drawing. To enter go to their website.(listed in answer above) They will be in Kansas City this summer!

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

Near as I can tell, they want $400 for a furniture appraisal (if approved) and 2 tickets. No thanks.

George_Braziller 2 years, 8 months ago

Read it again. If a piece of furniture is selected to be showcased it doesn't cost anything and they also pay to have it picked up, transported to KC, and back as long as you live within 50 miles of Bartle Hall. The only requirement is that if it's selected you have to agree to attend in person.