Sound Off

Sound Off: School bus

In front of Quail Run Elementary, is it legal for school buses to drive in the opposing traffic lane, when the cars are stopped, to pull into the school? It seems like it’s going to cause a head-on and the crossing guards don’t do anything about it.

Wayne Zachary, Lawrence manager for First Student, which provides student transportation in the Lawrence school district, supplied this answer: “School buses are subject to all of the same traffic laws and regulations as any vehicle, and in some cases, more. We appreciate being made aware of this issue. We will investigate further and address it promptly.”

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 1 month ago

If there is a danger of a head-on crash, it means the car coming from the other direction is going too fast. School Bus drivers are some of the most careful drivers around. Lighten up, quit complaining (directed towards the person posing the question) , and drive slowly whenever you are in a school area when students are arriving in the morning or leaving in the afternoon. Simple enough, no?

Carol Hayden 1 year, 1 month ago

I didn't write the question, but being one of many parents picking up a child at QR I think I understand the question... the traffic stopped is on Inverness while waiting for the kids to get out. The cars (most of them) are pulled over to wait for the kids, but in the meantime, other cars and the busses pass all of this traffic to either enter QR or pass all the cars lining up.
Once the kids are out, cars as well as the busses keep travelling past the cars that are now intending to turn left into the school lot. My issue is how fast some of these vehicles are driving in the school zone with or without students present passing the stopped cars.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 1 month ago

Oops! "hardely a day goes by that I DO NOT have to go to the office"

Brain dysfunction

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 1 month ago

I work for the bus company. Hardly a day goes by that I have to go into the office to find the driver of a car blocking the bus lane. We have to get 4 or 5 busses in to pick up students and that includes wheel chair students that must be alined with the wheel chair lift on the bus. When the parents disrgraard the posted signs, this causes endless problems for the busses that are contracted to move these special needs childern There are plenty of parking places at most schools but you might have to walk 10 or move steps (horrors!!) to use them.

loudmouthrealist 1 year, 1 month ago

Implement a CAR FREE SCHOOL ZONE like the DRUG FREE SCHOOL ZONE.

Absolutely no cars within 1000 feet of a school !

purplesage 1 year, 1 month ago

Sounds like a parking problem to me. The average parent doesn't think the "Buses Only" signs that are often posted around schools apply to them dropping of or picking up a child. I have driven a school bus for many years as a second job. They are large, difficult to maneuver and people just park without regard to the need of a busdriver to get into the appropriate line. The answer is very carefully worded to avoid any responsibility. I wonder how a bus is supposed to get past a line of cars without encroachng the opposite lane?