Sound Off

Sound Off: Handicapped parking

Is the same vehicle — which has the proper handicapped license or placard — allowed to continuously park downtown in handicapped parking spots that have a lot of turnover?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: As long as the vehicle is moved every 24 hours, there is no violation. According to city law, “a vehicle which bears a special license plate or placard pursuant to KSA 8-1,125, and is being operated by or used for the transportation of a person with a disability, may park in any parking space reserved for such vehicle, and can park for a period of time not to exceed 24 hours in any parking zone which is restricted as to the length of parking time permitted.”

Comments

Richard07 1 year, 11 months ago

You're splitting hairs, did-i-say-that. Obviously the blogger meant in an area where rapid and contiuous turnover of parking spots is the norm is parking for extended periods of time permitted in handicap spots. Sheeesh.

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

The way I read this question is: Is it abusing the handicap parking permit for a vehicle to be parked on Mass St in the same handicap slot for all day, day after day?

My answer would be: YES

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Perhaps they work near where they are parked. Some handicaped do have jobs.

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

A job does not give you a free parking pass on Mass St.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

So they could just quit their job, if they can't get to it easily and go on disability, then you can abuse them for being a taker, right? Can't win, can they. I guess you'd be happier if disabled people would just die, so you can park a little closer and not have to look at them? Maybe put them all in a institution, so they can rot away?

BorderRat 1 year, 11 months ago

Do the handicap spots on downtown have meters? Don't know if I missed it last time I was back, but I remember seeing the signs but no meters.

BorderRat 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks. I can understand the reserved space, but not exemption of parking fees.

Ken Schmidt 1 year, 11 months ago

For those upset with this person being parked in the same spot for long periods of time--please remember that there are loft and apartment spaces along Mass street. Having a handicapped placard generally designates that one has a movement/locomotion hinderance (whether temporary or permanant). I would hate for someone to ask me to park much further away simply because I am handicapped and live downtown. If your argument is don't live downtown, then I must ask, are you willing to segregate downtown living spaces according to a person's physical abilities? If you are willing to have that discussion, please respond.

Jean Robart 1 year, 11 months ago

Other problems that allow for a handicap placard/license plate include those who have serious lung/heart disease, and have great difficulty breathing with or without exertion. I have a pulmonary disease which has no cure--plenty of treatments, but the only "cure" is a heart/double lung transplant.

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

If you live downtown in an up-stairs apartment then your handicap does not require special privilegies for a parking space if you are able to walk up and down 20 steps to get to your living quarters. There are no elevators to upstairs apartments, if you can make the climb, you can park some place else.

Ken Schmidt 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, your argument is based once more upon speculation and accusation rather than fact or reason. A domicile, if rented, must be made available to qualified individuals no matter their level of handicap. In many instances, available living spaces in the downtown area are equipped with ramps and/or elevator access which would facilitate and accommodate handicapped individuals. While I would share your point that there are many people who abuse the handicap parking system, persecuting anyone using such a space for prolonged periods holds little merit. If anything your arguments should be based upon improving the verification system to ensure this benefit is extended to those who need it and not just those who obtain it.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

90% of the people I see using handicap spots have absolutely nothing wrong with them.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 11 months ago

What about the Expectant Mother spots at Hy-Vee?

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

Another wasted parking space. They need the exercise just like the rest of us. Nobody ever said an expantant mother should not walk to the door.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Jack, please explain to me just how you know that. Take some photos and send them to the right people. It is against the law to use handicaped spaces when you don't need them and it is my understand that you need something from a doctor to prove you need that card before they will issue it to you.

Jean Robart 1 year, 11 months ago

how do you know, Jack? Many people have invisible illnesses that prohibit them from walking great distances, but are not obvious to an observer. Your statement is an unfair assumption.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks for the enlightenment, Dr. McKee.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you have xray vision, Jack? Can you see if their back discs are destroyed? Can you see if their lungs are functional. If you really think they are not disabled, then call the police and have them ask for their id that they are issued. They can't get that without a doctor's ok. And it must be carried by the person who is disabled. For instance, if I used my husband's placard when he isn't with me, I could be fined. I often forget to take it off the mirror, but I don't use handicapped parking.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

People are entitled to a handicap placard if they are responsible for transporting a such person such as a slow moving senior citizen which may require verification from the doctor.