Sound Off

Sound Off: Senior snow list

I’m a senior citizen. My husband and I come here for a few months each year. Can you get on a list to have help getting your sidewalks cleared of snow?

Safe Winter Walkways is a program provided by Douglas County Senior Services and the city of Lawrence, but the deadline to sign up was Jan. 1.

Comments

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 6 months ago

If I was able, I'd offer to do it myself. Maybe some other kind soul will take this on?

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Would be delighted to shovel for Mr. & Mrs. Senior. If they so choose, they should send a pm to me & we can work out the details.

sherbert 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a family member who receives this service through the Senior Center and it is so much appreciated. Thank you to all who are involved with this!

Katara 2 years, 6 months ago

I think that if you are able to afford to maintain residences in 2 locations, you should be ineligible for the Safe Winter Walkways program. That program should be reserved for seniors who are physically unable to do it themselves and financially unable to hire someone to clear their sidewalks.

appleaday 2 years, 6 months ago

The people who shovel the snow are volunteers. Anyone can sign up to volunteer and you are given a "snow buddy." I have one -- a nice lady who can't manage the task because she is frail. I don't really care about her financial situation.

Katara 2 years, 6 months ago

And that is nice of you but snow buddies are in short supply. There should be a way to ensure that the ones truly in need of a snow buddy get one.

Stephanie Hull 2 years, 6 months ago

Even though they live in two places, I wouldn't assume they own two residences. Perhaps they own one here, but spend the rest of the year living with relatives somewhere else.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

You're right. Perhaps they live at a homeless shelter when they are not in Lawrence.