Sound Off

Sound Off: Snow shoveling

I know the city has a sidewalk ordinance for clearing snow. Does it also have an ordinance governing private parking lots, in particular an apartment complex? If so, how much time does it afford the owner to remove all of the snow?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: The snow removal ordinance only applies to public sidewalks on the public right-of-way. All sidewalks and parking lots located within an apartment complex, commercial business, strip mall and other similar locations are not regulated by the ordinance. Concerns need to be discussed with the property manager.

Comments

lionheart72661 1 year, 10 months ago

It is my understanding that on sidewalks where the city crews throw the snow back on the sidewalk from the road that the home owner is no longer responsible. That is as far as sidewalks are concerned.

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope so. I have a three foot high wall of snow all along the sidewalk in front ofmy house. Not dealing with that. I'll wait for the sun.

somebodynew 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope people don't take your word for that. I am not postive you are correct on that. I thought this was just like the driveway thing below. You just have to deal with it and it is still your responsibility.

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

I noticed Meadowbrook was just getting around to clearing the sidewalk along Bob Billings Parkway Sunday afternoon. That sidewalk gets a good amount of foot traffic.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Meadowbrook just got around to a lot of things.

Joe Berns 1 year, 10 months ago

Big derrogatory comment to the city who keeps pushing snow back on my driveway. I spent quite some time the other day clearing out my driveway, even a few feet out into the street, and then I get home today and, if I wasn't driving a 4wd vehicle, wouldn't have been able to pull into my driveway because the city trucks pushed huge frozen chunks of ice and snow directly in front of my driveway, effectively blocking entrance to anyone with a normal car. I was able to drive over it luckily in the truck I have, but then spent quite some time once again, clearing snow from my driveway. I have a full time job, and many days, just don't have the time to repeat my work.

Take a little pride in your work and do a good job for chrissakes city workers. If I did the half-@ssed job you guys did, I'd be out of work.

Joe Berns 1 year, 9 months ago

So you are content with the mediocre job they provide? How sad. We pay this city a lot in taxes for them to do their job. There is a definite lack of pride if the plow driver feels its ok to block driveways in the interest of clearing streets. Happens every snow storm and every snow storm I'll bring it up again. I re-iterate, if I did my job as poorly as these drivers do, I'd quickly be out of work.

boltzmann 1 year, 9 months ago

How exactly would you plow the streets to not have this happen and be able to do it quickly? Do you want city workers individually to shovel the excess out of each driveway? Just curious. If you are going to complain that they are doing a poor job, then explain to us exactly how they should alter their procedures to not have this happen. If you can't do that, you shouldn't complain.

elliottaw 1 year, 10 months ago

That's part of winter deal with it, the city can't stop and shovel everyone's driveway

Joe Berns 1 year, 9 months ago

The problem is, my driveway was already cleared. They shouldn't have to shovel it unless they are the ones who put the snow there and then, yes, I would expect them to clear it back out. It would be the responsible thing to do.

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

That happens no where in the country because its insane. And it's not like the city is making pass after pass down the streets, if your lucky the plow will come once suck it up buttercup

Laura Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I wish that were the case. In the last two snows, the initial plowing of my street (which made the streets completely driveable) only shoved about six inches into the end of my cleared driveway which I could drive over. Except that within six-eight hours (overnight) they plowed again, adding a foot more. I have no clue where they were getting this snow from as the streets were down to about a half inch of snow pack. And I know of streets that were never plowed after the first snow and yet mine was done twice within eight hours? I'd much prefer they just plow once! By the time they got to my street on Tuesday so many cars had driven on it that it was just slushy snow pack. One pass should have been plenty.

Enlightenment 1 year, 9 months ago

So you believe another smaller truck with a plow should go behind the large plow and remove the snow from every driveway in the city? Are you for real, do you realize how inefficient and how long that process would take? Coming from a northern climate, your expectations are completely unreasonable.

Enlightenment 1 year, 10 months ago

I'd like to know what you want the city to do, lift the blade and not plow in front of your house?

Joe Berns 1 year, 10 months ago

I think its clear what I want the city to do. Clear the streets does not mean push the snow into people's driveways. In the past, they have had a second, smaller 3/4 ton truck come behind the main one and move the snow out of the front of driveways. No reason they can't do it now. I pay enough in taxes to get this done.

Unlike some people, I'm not "just happy to have my street plowed". Its a city service we pay for and shouldn't settle for any less. I'll continue to push the snow right back out in the street where it came from.

This is like paying to get your car washed at the automatic carwash, and then have it come out with all but the hood and trunk cleaned off. Good enough they say. Bull. They half-@assed did the job, come do it right. I'm amazed people will look at the shoddy job the city does and think its "good enough".

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree it would be better if they'd clear off the driveways as you suggest.

But, I suspect it would require more taxes, as it's obviously more expensive to run another truck in that way.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 9 months ago

I have a feeling that if the city spent extra time digging out each and every driveway and car parked on the street behind their plow walls, that wouldn't make you happy either.

Joe Berns 1 year, 9 months ago

Really, my only beef was them closing off my driveway. I spent all day at work and came home to a street I couldn't park in and, if I hadn't been in the 4x4, I wouldn't have been able to pull into my drive either. No qualms with the trash service or anything else, just them closing off my driveway with huge chunks of snow and ice got to me.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 9 months ago

If you don't like that the end of your driveway is plowed in, then please never move to Minnesota. Up there, we accept that the ends of our driveways are blocked and there is a two inch thick layer of packed snow on the streets (when it never gets above freezing, you can drive on it perfectly fine). You snow blow the driveway and shovel out the end. We northerners accept it. There are also ordinances preventing street parking in the suburbs. Not only will you be plowed in, there's a chance you could lose the driver's side of your car.

Anydaynow 1 year, 10 months ago

yep, go through the same thing, Paul85. Same problem, different city.

Joe Berns 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree G. The mound of snow on west 6th between Taco Bell and Burger King is really bad. I was sitting up high in a 4wd truck and still couldn't see over it. I had to edge out into the westbound lane of traffic before I could even see if eastbound was clear. That's a really bad place to take a left turn and, if I go back that way, won't do it again.

Hyvee seemed pretty well cleared off though.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I may know which complex the writer was referring to. If not, then we're in the same boat. Basically we had a small plow or something come through and drive down the middle of the parking lot and block everyone in. The office provided shovels so people could get out, but there's nowhere to put the snow except in the few empty spots that haven't been cleared yet. The fact that the city, campus, and township crews have done a better job than the private companies hired by apartments is terrible. I'm really glad Kansas doesn't get tons of snow.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

I think the city crews deserve a big shout out. Removing the snow after a heavy fall is a slow, demanding job and you have to do it mostly at night. All of that snow has to go somewhere and there are people on here that are basically saying that they don't care how or where they just want the snow gone from their place.

I can understand how frustrating and provoking it would be to clear a driveway just to have snow plowed back in, but I don't really believe they are doing it just to spite you.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 9 months ago

Whoever the Dunkin Donuts on 6th uses to clean its lot pushed the snow into the handicapped parking spot ? Really? Who with half a brain would do that and is it within code?

ksgardener 1 year, 9 months ago

If the biggest problem I had to deal with was snow shoveling and how the roads and lots are plowed then I would say I am doing pretty good in life. Somebody help me....it snowed out...geeze give it a rest.

axw0710 1 year, 9 months ago

I did my research and found a apartment complex that does do snow removal, clears stairs etc. That told me which management takes care of their residents which ones just want to take my rent. Just have to be smart, search around and drive by to find the good ones.

newtongirl 1 year, 9 months ago

I give the city both kudos and a call-out on mistakes. The city plowed our cul-de-sac (the plow had plenty of room for full maneuverability) but put the multiple metric tons of road snow in front of our driveway (I couldn't get my car out and my husband barely got the 4x4 out) and completely buried our mailbox - and here's the kicker - right next to a 15-foot stretch of curb with NOTHING there. Cars don't park in the street here so there were plenty of places to dump that 6 feet of snow that were not our driveway and mailbox. There's no way a person with a bad back (my husband) could've moved that mountain, nor should he have to. If the mailman's job wasn't hard enough, he'd have to scale that snow and dig for our mailbox IF he decided not to refuse delivery. This wasn't a 3-foot pile. It was a 6-foot tall, 8-foot wide pile. Not removable by a human being.

What good is clearing the roads if you trap people in?

I don't think looking at where you can put metric tons of snow is all that difficult.

That being said, I called the city and they came back and moved the mountain. It's the least that a city that charges residents for not shoveling their sidewalks could do when they lock someone in because of lack of thinking.

gccs14r 1 year, 9 months ago

The plow came through around midnight. I'd cleared the drive and a little way up the street by hand, so there ended up being just a little bit of snow pushed onto the end of the drive. Not a big deal. That's the trick though--if you don't want snow pushed into your driveway, there has to be no snow in the street to push there. Shovel the drive and up the road a bit so when the plow comes around it runs out of snow by the time it gets to you.

ksgardener 1 year, 9 months ago

My biggest problem was finding a snow blower to purchase after the snow. Moved my snow, 2 neighbors snow and the plows snow. Stop crying about the problem and get a solution,

Joe Berns 1 year, 9 months ago

This latest round of snow wasn't good for snow blowing. Could be done, but it was so wet and heavy it didn't blow properly. And, for the record, I did clear some of the street in front of my house, however, that is the city's responsibility and one of the reasons why we pay taxes and live in this community.