Sound Off

Sound Off: Snow shoveling

I know the city has a sidewalk ordinance for clearing snow. Does it also have an ordinance governing private parking lots, in particular an apartment complex? If so, how much time does it afford the owner to remove all of the snow?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: The snow removal ordinance only applies to public sidewalks on the public right-of-way. All sidewalks and parking lots located within an apartment complex, commercial business, strip mall and other similar locations are not regulated by the ordinance. Concerns need to be discussed with the property manager.

Comments

ksgardener 1 year, 1 month ago

My biggest problem was finding a snow blower to purchase after the snow. Moved my snow, 2 neighbors snow and the plows snow. Stop crying about the problem and get a solution,

gccs14r 1 year, 1 month ago

The plow came through around midnight. I'd cleared the drive and a little way up the street by hand, so there ended up being just a little bit of snow pushed onto the end of the drive. Not a big deal. That's the trick though--if you don't want snow pushed into your driveway, there has to be no snow in the street to push there. Shovel the drive and up the road a bit so when the plow comes around it runs out of snow by the time it gets to you.

newtongirl 1 year, 1 month ago

I give the city both kudos and a call-out on mistakes. The city plowed our cul-de-sac (the plow had plenty of room for full maneuverability) but put the multiple metric tons of road snow in front of our driveway (I couldn't get my car out and my husband barely got the 4x4 out) and completely buried our mailbox - and here's the kicker - right next to a 15-foot stretch of curb with NOTHING there. Cars don't park in the street here so there were plenty of places to dump that 6 feet of snow that were not our driveway and mailbox. There's no way a person with a bad back (my husband) could've moved that mountain, nor should he have to. If the mailman's job wasn't hard enough, he'd have to scale that snow and dig for our mailbox IF he decided not to refuse delivery. This wasn't a 3-foot pile. It was a 6-foot tall, 8-foot wide pile. Not removable by a human being.

What good is clearing the roads if you trap people in?

I don't think looking at where you can put metric tons of snow is all that difficult.

That being said, I called the city and they came back and moved the mountain. It's the least that a city that charges residents for not shoveling their sidewalks could do when they lock someone in because of lack of thinking.

axw0710 1 year, 1 month ago

I did my research and found a apartment complex that does do snow removal, clears stairs etc. That told me which management takes care of their residents which ones just want to take my rent. Just have to be smart, search around and drive by to find the good ones.

ksgardener 1 year, 1 month ago

If the biggest problem I had to deal with was snow shoveling and how the roads and lots are plowed then I would say I am doing pretty good in life. Somebody help me....it snowed out...geeze give it a rest.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 1 month ago

Whoever the Dunkin Donuts on 6th uses to clean its lot pushed the snow into the handicapped parking spot ? Really? Who with half a brain would do that and is it within code?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 1 month ago

I think the city crews deserve a big shout out. Removing the snow after a heavy fall is a slow, demanding job and you have to do it mostly at night. All of that snow has to go somewhere and there are people on here that are basically saying that they don't care how or where they just want the snow gone from their place.

I can understand how frustrating and provoking it would be to clear a driveway just to have snow plowed back in, but I don't really believe they are doing it just to spite you.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 1 month ago

I think I may know which complex the writer was referring to. If not, then we're in the same boat. Basically we had a small plow or something come through and drive down the middle of the parking lot and block everyone in. The office provided shovels so people could get out, but there's nowhere to put the snow except in the few empty spots that haven't been cleared yet. The fact that the city, campus, and township crews have done a better job than the private companies hired by apartments is terrible. I'm really glad Kansas doesn't get tons of snow.

kansasdaughter 1 year, 1 month ago

Headline should read, "Snow Sniveling" in expectation of all the responses here. Lol.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 1 month ago

"Most places I've been in the past week, kind of suck. There are lots of lumpy parking lots and mountains of snow blocking sight lines when pulling out of drives. "

There was 20 inches of snow in five days. There is nowhere to put this stuff in the short term.

g_rock 1 year, 1 month ago

So, what business have done an awesome job with the snow? Most places I've been in the past week, kind of suck. There are lots of lumpy parking lots and mountains of snow blocking sight lines when pulling out of drives. There has to be someone out there getting it done right, RIGHT?

Anydaynow 1 year, 1 month ago

yep, go through the same thing, Paul85. Same problem, different city.

paul85 1 year, 1 month ago

Big derrogatory comment to the city who keeps pushing snow back on my driveway. I spent quite some time the other day clearing out my driveway, even a few feet out into the street, and then I get home today and, if I wasn't driving a 4wd vehicle, wouldn't have been able to pull into my driveway because the city trucks pushed huge frozen chunks of ice and snow directly in front of my driveway, effectively blocking entrance to anyone with a normal car. I was able to drive over it luckily in the truck I have, but then spent quite some time once again, clearing snow from my driveway. I have a full time job, and many days, just don't have the time to repeat my work.

Take a little pride in your work and do a good job for chrissakes city workers. If I did the half-@ssed job you guys did, I'd be out of work.

kernal 1 year, 1 month ago

I noticed Meadowbrook was just getting around to clearing the sidewalk along Bob Billings Parkway Sunday afternoon. That sidewalk gets a good amount of foot traffic.

lionheart72661 1 year, 1 month ago

It is my understanding that on sidewalks where the city crews throw the snow back on the sidewalk from the road that the home owner is no longer responsible. That is as far as sidewalks are concerned.