Sound Off

Sound Off: On K-10, there is a work zone area and there is a reduced speed limit. However, there are no workers out there lately. Does one follow the 60 mph reduced speed limit or drive the traditional 70 mph as everyone seems to be doing?

Kimberly Qualls, public affairs manager with the Kansas Department of Transportation, said in an email that the K-10 work zone and its speed limit are in place at all times until the work is completed. At times, the reduced speed limit signs will be covered and drivers can go 70 mph. But if the work zone signs are uncovered, drivers should not exceed the reduced speed limit.

Comments

kwilkins74 1 year, 6 months ago

I drive 10 highway every day atleast 2 times a day. It never fails people are flying by, some doing atleast 80 and never any radar. I've seen 1 sheriff in the last month at 4 am on Tuesday morning. Wasn't that supposed to be a safety corridor with more patrols.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope MORE people see the answer to this question. It is a tad ridiculous how many people think that just because there aren't any workers there, the construction zone speed limit doesn't apply. I drive through the construction zone twice a day (930pm-10pm and 530-6am) and get passed like I'm sitting still with my cruise set at 62.

The BEST part, though, is once I'm out of the construction zone I go back to my regular 75mph and pass those same idiots that passed me. Can't comprehend the logic of going close to 10mph over in a construction zone where the fine is doubled vs five over for a ticket that doesn't effect one's insurance. Smart. Now, if only they would patrol that stretch (and the JoCo stretch now too) to enforce the damn speed limit.

bladejhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Totally different scenario....was on I-35 in Olathe going thru a work zone that was reduced to 1 lane (normally 3 lanes), not a worker in sight the whole zone. Traffic was backed up for miles, and moved at a snail's pace the whole way. Took 45 minutes to travel what normally would take 5! I believe they (KDOT) just didn't want to take down the cones, signs, etc. until Monday morning, and then have to put them back up. Obviously, they didn't care a damn about what effect it had on traffic!

greyfeld 1 year, 6 months ago

there were three highway patrol cars that had stopped speeders last night around 12:30 a.m. on my way home from KC. You've been warned.

Seth Amott 1 year, 6 months ago

There are quite a few states who's work zone laws say "when workers present." So for a person who may not have grown up in Kansas, I can understand the confusion, although every one of those states typically has the wordage "When workers present" posted. With that said, I was on k-10 the other day, and there was not a single person going under 70, or even 75 in the work zones. I just fell in behind some traffic going a little over 70 and let the others blow past. I will follow the speed of the slowest traffic almost always.

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

laws are not worth much if they are not enforced,,,,,

no one follws the rules, unless someone is watching them ,.... especially on k10, thats where the fools hang out

monheim 1 year, 6 months ago

Be an adult and assume the posted speed limit is the speed limit. You aren't going to save yourself a significant amount of time. Get over yourself. A lot of people think they notice something that others don't ("Hey, I don't see no workers!"). You're not noticing anything others haven't noticed. You (nor I) don't know the reason signs are left posted when they are. You don't know how long it takes to put the signs and cones up every day. You don't know what the road is actually like even though you don't see anyone working on it. Just get over it. You're not an expert on it and it's not a big deal.

Isabelle 1 year, 6 months ago

I also notice the people coming from Eudora are the worst offenders on K10 eastbound. Isn't this construction in reaction to the terrible accident of the little boy that died on K10? And the family is from Eudora?

kernal 1 year, 6 months ago

People are speeding through the work zone on E. 23rd where the bridge is being replaced, as well. Thing is, they don't see any workers as they approach, so they continue on at 45 to 50mph but the workers are there. I used to see a LPD car out there but didn't see any this past week.

Oh, wait! We don't want to pay for more LPD personnel cause we don't need them!

Nevermind.

Pork_Ribs 1 year, 6 months ago

"One" drives the speed limit if "one" does not want a ticket. Is this some kind of joke? To think that you actually vote as well is a scary thought. Can anyone venture to guess as to the affiliation of the writer? Probably intelligent with absolutely no wisdom or common sense....the definition of a liberal.

Norm Jennings 1 year, 6 months ago

Its AN AWESOME question

School zones with no kids -- no reduced limit

Construction zone yesterday on 470, state trooper with a radar gun around the bend in the highway near the 470 entrance, not a worker or piece of construction on the orange barrel area about 1/10 of a mile long (luckily I was with family and under the construction zone limit).

Down the road, miles of construction on 470, a single lane for traffic, several workers in action with equipment, no law enforcement in sight.

The credibility of the very worthwhile purpose of these laws is undermined by the disconnect from the protection required. Oh, and the crassly opportunistic appearance of law enforcement seemingly more focused on issuing tickets than supporting the spirit of the law doesn't help either.

windex 1 year, 6 months ago

Jc,

EXACTLY. Sometimes I see a pedestrian and I know I'm not supposed to hit them but I'm thinking "this guy sure doesn't look like he pays any income tax, so if he's not going to care about his life, why should I?" Or like if I have a better car ('cause I do), doesn't that mean I get to go faster? Why should I have to go the same speed as, for example, someone who "works" for the government?

biggunz 1 year, 6 months ago

It's not a good question. Do I follow the posted speed limit, or do I just ignore it an go faster than the posted speed limit? How can this even be a legit question? Explain to me where you have ever driven where the legal speed limit was faster than the posted speed. Once again, driving seems to be way too challenging for a lot of people.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 6 months ago

fines double in work zones..rolls eyes I drove that route last Thursday, and workers were in both Douglas and Johnson County medians.

What was appalling to me was that no one slowed down in the work zones. The people speeding through had no respect for the lives of the men in median doing the construction work to possibility save lives in the future. IMO those people speeding don't don't deserve the improvements being made on the highway, they are part of the problem.

I saw one patrol car the whole stretch both ways on my round trip, everyone around me that passed the patrol that had a car pulled over along side the shoulder, immediately increased their speeds above speed limit after passing him and sped away. Maybe they need a few more patrol out there.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

It is a good question. I drove it yesterday, put the cruise on 65, and people where blowing by me. And we all know that county line between Eudora and Desoto has radar going a lot.

KUinAussie 1 year, 6 months ago

why is it this same post was made around a year ago?

id have to dig, but reading this i couldnt help but get the feeling of deja' vu!