Sound Off

Sound Off: I'm a neighbor near Southwest Middle School, and several nights a week and on Saturdays, we have football players’ parents parking on our street, on Inverness, blocking our view so we can’t see when we need to cross the street safely. Whom do we talk to? It’s a risk for us in the neighborhood and also others who are trying to drive in that neighborhood.

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: Parking is permitted on Inverness because the road width is sufficient to allow cars on each side. The Standard Traffic Ordinance considers it unlawful to park within 20 feet of a crosswalk or 30 feet of a stop sign. If drivers are parked illegally, the motorist could be ticketed. However, if the motorists are not parked illegally, the issue could be handled by contacting the Traffic Safety Commission — at traffic@lawrenceks.org — for review to see if no parking areas are warranted.

Comments

Damian666 2 years, 5 months ago

In Louisiana people leave messages on the windows written in chicken blood.

faceit 2 years, 5 months ago

I tried putting blood in a spray bottle once, but it kept coagulating in the nozzle.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

Mix some vinegar in with it and it won't coagulate.

5thgeneration 2 years, 5 months ago

We have officially reached a new level of petty complaining. At least they aren't blocking your driveway. Exercise caution, and cross the street.

Try this one on for size: I live in the Pinckney neighborhood. During K.U. football home games, we experience an influx of traffic that takes up all of the parking on my street, plus, several other streets have their traffic limited to one way travel. We're forced to deal with reduced safety, increased traffic, and an influx of non-locals who root for the wrong team. Who do I contact to have the university's football program shut down, and can the Traffic Safety Commission effectively ban non-local on street parking in my neighborhood during home games?

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

Parking at a local school sports activity makes them a fanatic? Maybe you could use that other eye and see things a little more realistically! I only point this out because the fact that you see them as a fanatic might bias your opinions.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

That's thinking outside the box right there.

fearsadness14 2 years, 5 months ago

i live out there as well, and it's dangerous to be driving in those situations, let alone walking. It happens with the little league football gorilla team twice weekly when they have practices. It really is quite a dangerous nuisance.

5thgeneration 2 years, 5 months ago

If you're driving, maintain a speed suitable for such a dangerous "nuisance" or condition..... Don't drive so fast that you're not able to stop if someone appears in front of you.

If you're walking, don't step out into the street to check for traffic. Peer out from safety, and if it's all clear, cross. Sometimes, one might cross the street quickly, adhering to the same rule of the road that says "maintain a speed suitable for current conditions."

The ability to handle one's self in a potentially unsafe situation seems to be declining.

Study, identify, and adapt.

Now that I've been snarky, I'll also say that if traffic isn't obeying the rules of the road, by all means call law enforcement.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

Aah, removing my post was pretty lame.

classclown 2 years, 5 months ago

Start keying all the cars. They'll eventually take the hint and start parking elsewhere. Perhaps even start using the T to attend!

ps. This works well in parking lots for those that like to take up more than one space so as not to get a scratch on their car.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

Fortunately, most people can behave with a little more civility than resorting to vandalism. If not, hopefully your car is the one getting vandalized.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 5 months ago

You win the award for trashiest response! Sucks your car is crappy and you're bitter.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

The biggest problem is that no one is paying attention when they are driving. It doesn't matter what street you're trying to cross. Everyone is on their cell phone, texting, reading, looking up a number. We need to consider banning electronic devices when driving. If you need to make a call, pull over to the side of the road and chat to your heart's delight.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

I always shake my head when I see some idiot student pedestrian crossing the street with their nose buried in their cell phone, with no regard for 2-ton vehicles flying by at 40mph.

I may have the right of way as a pedestrian, but right of way isn't going to stop that driver with THEIR nose buried in their cell phone from showing you who wins in Pedestrian vs. Car.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

When you judge someone by the group they belong to that is called prejudice.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

What's it called when one group behaves differently than other groups and then you comment on that difference?

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

You might put up a sign in your yard asking people to not park for the reasons you have cited. It may not work but then again politeness may be rewarded in kind. If that doesn't help your stuck. This happens all over the world not just on the street you happen to live on.

It would seem you could walk up to the street behind the car and then look before crossing. Why can't you do this?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

Psycho, psycho, you have no complaint,

You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't

So listen up buster and listen up good,

Stop wishing for good luck and knocking on wood.

Siiiiigned, Dear Abby

"Dear Abby", lyrics by John Prine.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

The solution is obvious. Buy a new fridge and then a generator to make sure it runs if the electric goes out. Maybe in this photo she is pondering deeply about this problem.

Lawrenceks 2 years, 5 months ago

Classclown, Lucly there are camer's in most parking lots now because of the likes like you. IF you did that to my car and I caught you you'd never do it again!!

jehovah_bob 2 years, 5 months ago

Have you ever seen the quality of a parking lot video?

Do you need a CCL for your fists of fury?

hip_gma 2 years, 5 months ago

They also park on 27th Street by fire hydrants. There is a HUGE EMPTY school parking lot for that school so I don't know why these vehicles do not park there instead of along the street. Actually I do know...they don't want to walk. Nothing will be done until a child runs out between the vehicles and gets hurt and then everyone will be pointing fingers at each other.

Enlightenment 2 years, 5 months ago

The cars parked along Inverness is less of a problem than the increased traffic from the concentration of apartments in the area that are filled with inexperienced college aged drivers makes walking and driving in a congested situation a real hazard.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

Whiskey tango foxtrot!!! Am I the only one getting sick and tired of these insulting remarks directed at University students? Believe it or not, there are students at KU who do not get drunk, who know quite well how to drive, and are there to get a good education and better their lives. Also you don't have to choose between being a dumb jock, a nerd, or a techie, or a brilliant student. Athlete's can be quite smart.

bevy 2 years, 5 months ago

Can Athletes also learn the difference between a plural and a possessive, and apply apostrophes correctly?

Enlightenment 2 years, 5 months ago

I said "college age" drivers, but if the shoe fits.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 5 months ago

I know exactly the stretch of road the SO question is addressing (particularly 27th). If the line of vehicles weren't enormous SUVs, then there wouldn't be as much of a concern. With the size of the vehicles parked there, 2 way traffic is barely attainable. I take it slow when I'm around there, but a child could very easily be hidden behind the parked vehicles ...

gert891 2 years, 5 months ago

there is a clearly marked cross walk on that street, that no cars park near , so try crossing the street there.

SoundMind 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's a radical idea - if you don't like the traffic a grade or middle school attracts . . . don't live near one. Seriously, find something important to fret about.

John Hamm 2 years, 5 months ago

Gotta add this. One of the major problems concerning illegally parked autos is the policy of Officer Discretion - he may or may not, at his option, cite an illegally parked vehicle. Take a drive through the Oread area on any weekday and see how many vehicles are parked in violation of both the Crosswalk, Stop sign and the Fire Hydrant regulation.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget about parking across sidewalks as well. I got a ticket for my front bumper barely hanging over the sidewalk (that split our driveway) while I see other vehicles blatantly parked over the sidewalk for days without any ticket at all.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure I understand the issue, maybe someone who lives over there can educate me. There are crosswalks at 24th, 27th and across from the school, the one on 27th looks a little dangerous, but with no parking on 27th (shouldn't be), it wouldn't be too bad. The road narrows before the roundabout, along with traffic that should be slowing to go through, it should be quite a safe crossing.

I understand concerns about safety, but I don't understand the specifics of the problem.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 5 months ago

Understandable, I'm not sure why the original SO question specifically called out Inverness ... but I'll try to clarify (from what I've seen at least). The stretch of road that I see having issues is 27th.

Starting at the intersection of Inverness and 27th and heading west you see the drive to the school parking lot and a crosswalk adjacent to it. It is after this crosswalk that cars begin parking on the North side of 27th all the way to Bluestem Dr and up to Scottsdale St.

While there is a crosswalk nearby to get across, I think there are other issues than just being able to cross the street. I certainly would not want to be biking down that road with a wall of cars.

Moreover, with the line of vehicles there (a majority being SUVs and Trucks) the width of the street is very restricted.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

If that is the case, I can understand the concern much more. If the street isn't designed to handle parking, then it can become much more dangerous. If parking is the issue, maybe the school should consider finding a way to expand their parking options. I see a big open field to the north of 27th.

workinghard 2 years, 5 months ago

But,but....I live in West Lawrence, there's not suppose to be cars parked on the street. Grow up, this is a common problem in most of the rest of Lawrence, deal with it like the rest of us.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

Really? You don't know how to cross the street when cars are parked on it? Really?

Is this what we are becoming as a nation? Do we really need to ask the city for help crossing the street? This is pathetic.

booyalab 2 years, 5 months ago

So the person asking the original question is complaining that when a lot of cars are parked on a street, the sight lines are obscured? Have they never been a pedestrian in a moderately high traffic area before? Do they get chauffeured everywhere? I just find it amazing that someone hasn't encountered this problem in their life before. It must be nice.

NotMeAgain 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't worry my dear!! Traffic will be back to normal at the end of October.Tuff it out!!!!!

jellybeanies 2 years, 5 months ago

I wish my life was so peachy keen that the worst thing I had to complain about was families parking near a school for children's activities.