Sound Off

Sound Off: How late will downtown stores be handing out candy to trick-or-treaters today?

The Lawrence downtown trick-or-treating event is scheduled to last from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., or until the candy runs out.

Comments

Keith Richards 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you could donate money for candy. Most stores spend anywhere from $500-$1000 on candy.

alcoholbliss 2 years, 1 month ago

Ya, I'm strapped sorry. TRICK! Maybe the GAP, the Buckle and a hand full of others with corporate support have the $500-$1000 budget for that. Do you have a source for the others? Buffalo Bobs? Cromwell? Compton? City Hall?

FarneyMac 2 years, 1 month ago

Wait, you're getting upset because businesses who are giving out free candy might not be giving out ENOUGH free candy to satisfy your greed? Really? Like it's a Constitutional right to get free candy from businesses? Go away. Either have another drink or stop trolling.

otto 2 years, 1 month ago

Comments are getting disapearded for comments about Candy.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess they do not like eating Candy but I sure as spit ain't gonna be talkin bout eatin no Zagnuts!!!!

When you can't even talk about Candy....ugh, the anti-Americanism is growing at the LJW.
"I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that this......"

budwhysir 2 years, 1 month ago

The trick is to find out how much free candy should be given out to complete ones need for something free, causing a feeling of a treat. Giving new meaning to trick or treat. You see in todays world when all is free, it is hard to get that satisfied feeling of being treated as you expect to be treated with not having to earn what you are given. So for the next generation we must teach them not only should you expect everything for free, and you must complain that it was not enough if they run out???

mac 2 years, 1 month ago

Be nice and say THANK YOU. The downtown store owners did not ask for the pleasure of buying candy for thousands of children.... it somehow became the norm when people wanted a 'safe' Halloween. Make sure to look in the windows and see how much business they are getting as they provide a good time to you while YOU are not home reciprocating, providing a safe Halloween for others.

....and don't even complain (like some ljworlder's in the past) if they don't buy chocolate. You're supposed to say THANK YOU.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

LJW may take our lives, but they'll never take our CANDYYYYYYYYY

DowntownDirector 2 years, 1 month ago

Downtown Trick or Treating has become an enormously popular event since its inception in 1985. Our Downtown businesses enjoy the spirit of the evening and do their best to provide treats for everyone, typically spending several hundred dollars per merchant on the night. We appreciate the public's participation and especially our patrons who take the time to say "thank you." Happy Halloween, everybody! Cathy Hamilton Downtown Lawrence, Inc.

PhilChiles 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't pass out candy at my store downtown for a couple reasons. One, I think it's really sad that people are so scared of their own neighborhoods that they will only go downtown. How did we get to this point? It's actually a very safe holiday. And second, if I pass out candy, I don't want it to be something cheap and lame, but that's the only way to keep up with that kind of demand. I'd rather buy better candy and give it to kids in my neighborhood.

Armored_One 2 years, 1 month ago

A lot of people don't give out candy these days.

FarneyMac 2 years, 1 month ago

Bold statement, Phil. You truly are a Wild Man.

shleppy 2 years, 1 month ago

Its so crowded downtown. last year i felt like i was in a cattle chute.

PhilChiles 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree, 400 isn't even close to what we see.

patkindle 2 years, 1 month ago

i think it is great the entitled crowd worrys so much about when the free stuff runs out?

MarcoPogo 2 years, 1 month ago

Will Bob Schumm be filling the kids' bags with Red Hook Ales and mountains of fries?

budwhysir 2 years, 1 month ago

Here is all I am saying, the stores have decided to do this because I am coming down for some treats. they dont need to be asking how much to buy and all that just as long as they have plenty for me and they stay there till I am done thats all that matters...

and I will be getting there sometime around 7:45 so if all you other people would be so kind as to stay home till I am done, we wont have any problems with you being in my way and I can get what I need and leave. I should be done around 11 if you want to make plans....

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 1 month ago

I think they should hand out little individual packets of broccoli and carrot and celery sticks.

Kids love fresh vegetables at Halloween.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

I heard that Burrito King is giving away Chiefs tickets

budwhysir 2 years, 1 month ago

only after they run out of left over Royals season tickets and parking passes

CHEEZIT 2 years, 1 month ago

Home Depot should be giving out candy! Their execs are already making vacation plans with all the business they will be getting from what has happened!!!

FarneyMac 2 years, 1 month ago

Even when you're TRYING to be funny you're still a tinfoil-hatted lunatic.