Sound Off

Sound Off: When heading north or south on Iowa Street and turning left onto 27th, why is the light a green arrow only? The light is incredibly long, and it seems that the intersection would allow for a green yield when turning left onto 27th from Iowa.

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: This intersection was upgraded several years ago using Federal-Aid Highway Safety Funding. Data collected at the time showed a higher than normal frequency of north-south, left-turn accidents. The traffic signals were then changed to “left on green arrow only” to aid in reducing accidents at the intersection.

Comments

midwestmom 1 year, 5 months ago

I always wondered why there wasn't a right turn lane at that intersection... 2 left, 1 straight, no right. Of course I always needed to turn right.... There was PLENTY of room - especially northbound to do so...

I think I've lost at least a month of time sitting waiting to make that right over the 17 years we lived in that neighborhood...

oldbaldguy 1 year, 5 months ago

Pull into Runza and get a cheeseburger or a Runza, delicious.

DanR 1 year, 5 months ago

SB Iowa to EB 27th: turn left on 26th to right on Ridge Ct. to left 27th.

NB Iowa to EB 27th: turn into frontage road at Dale Willey, make right onto 27th at Runza.

NB Iowa to WB 27th: turn left onto frontage at Jack Elena, cut through Sears parking lot and make left on WB 27th.

SB Iowa to WB 27th... no problem.

Coming from 27th either way. Just plan to sit and wait three minutes unless you got lucky.

Speakup 1 year, 5 months ago

Hate of traffic controls is not a family value.

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

Funny thing about your comment, I don't drink or do drugs. Unlike many on this blog, I am forced to live in reality, and reality is not pretty.

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near? Just like me, they long to be, close to you.... Waaaa waawa wa waaaaaaaaa. ON the day that you were born, the angels got together, and decided to create a dream come ture.

average 1 year, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, this was one of the last projects put in before the city (and KDOT statewide) started adopting the 'flashing yellow arrow' left-turn lights.

Before the 'FYA' lights, a left turn was either permissive ("left turn yield on green") or only when protected (left on green arrow only).

With the FYA, it would be possible to program the lights to be protected-left-only during busy hours but permissive left (flashing yellow arrow) on quiet hours. I've waited on the similar left from SB Iowa to EB 19th regularly at 7:30 AM on a Sunday when I can easily see there aren't any cars all the way to 23rd. I'll also admit that I've gone ahead and made that left anyway once or twice.

frankiej65 1 year, 5 months ago

What happens when you head East or West on Iowa street?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 5 months ago

Olive garden will get the bill from the city to fix what the city screwed up.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 5 months ago

In other words, the traffic control signals are controlling traffic.