Sound Off

Sound Off: Why has Pump Patrol in the Journal-World been discontinued?

Mark Potts, Journal-World vice president of content, provided this answer: Because most local gasoline prices in Lawrence are similar. Online sites such as GasBuddy.com can provide more information about local prices than the Journal-World was able to provide.

Comments

classclown 2 years, 1 month ago

Because gas cost too much to be driving to all the gas stations in town.

Cindy Wallace 2 years, 1 month ago

I was in Tulsa, OK last weekend where I thought I was seeing things....Unleaded gasoline was ONLY (and I use that term loosely) $3.09 per gallon. I was simply AMAZED!!

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 1 month ago

Kansas combined federal and state gas tax 42.4 cents. Oklahoma combined federal and state gas tax 35.4 cents. The real reason Oklahoma gas prices are lower is the location of distibutors and pipelines and the fact Oklahoma has more retail locations per capita than any other state. It's hard to price gouge when a competitor is competing.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

Selective memory? Gas was almost $4/gal when Bush was president in June/July of 2008. Or were you talking about Bush Sr.? Mmmm, mmm KoolAid! Idiot alert!

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

So, using your logic, I can say that "gasoline was only $1.78 per gallon when Obama was President" and "gasoline was $4.09 per gallon when Bush was President!" See how that works? Are you thick in the head? We're not all stupid ya know? And voting your comments up doesn't count, Homie.

Chris Phillips 2 years, 1 month ago

I started keeping track of gas prices in May of '07 out of curiosity since the gas prices were heading up at the time. From my purchases only, May 23 '07 the price was $3.279, and got as high as $3.979 on July 22 '08(President Bush was in office at that point). From the time I started tracking gas prices to the time President Obama took office, the average gas price was $3.066 and that included a drop before the elections in October of '08 to $2.469. The lowest I have paid for gas since I have been keeping track has been $1.299 in December of '08.

Gas prices will rise and fall regardless who is in office. It is only referenced as a political tool because so many of us use it. The problem isn't political, it is business, and our willingness to line the pockets of the oil companies. Find a way to make it less profitable for them and you may see those prices return to a level that is less of a problem. Keep in mind...we still pay less per gallon than European countries.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

Because all they have to do is put up an internet link, i.e.:

Kansas Gas Prices courtesy of gasbuddy.com

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

10-4 good neighbor! Gary Johnson for Prez.

skinny 2 years, 1 month ago

Online sites such as KCStar.com and CJOnline.com can provide more information about the local news than the Journal-World was able to provide. We've known that for years!!

LogicMan 2 years, 1 month ago

Because the reporter that did it has been reassigned, or worse?

CLARKKENT 2 years, 1 month ago

Because gas prices are controlled by one person, just call him.

ssteve1 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it's: "Because most local gasoline prices in Lawrence are similar. Online sites such as GasBuddy.com can provide more information about local prices than the Journal-World was able to provide."

thelonious 2 years, 1 month ago

"Because most local gasoline prices in Lawrence are similar."

This is BS - I drive in from the east, and the stations on the east side alone are not always the same, let alone differences between stations on the east, in central Lawrence, and on the northwest side of town - the differences can frequently be as much as 5 cents to 10 cents a gallon. True, many fifferences are only temporary, but it also only takes me 5 minutes to fill up my car, so temporary differences matter - think of it as "gasoline arbitrage". :-)

The simple answer is, they don't want to do it anymore - no more free services to the community. Heck, we are lucky to get any actual news anymore beyond KU sports. Of course, there is Dolph's always eagerly awaited Saturday opinion column! :-)

parrothead8 2 years, 1 month ago

Considering most vehicles have gas tanks ranging from 12-20 gallons, that would mean a difference of $1-2, at most, on a tank of gas. Do you think most people would be willing to spend half a gallon of gas (that cost $1-2) to drive across town to save that $1-2?

thelonious 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't say anything about driving around town to find the cheapest gas - I drive in from the east, work downtown, so I've got a lot of choices where to fill up along my route - if I know gas is cheaper near downtown, I will pass the stations on the east, and so on. I'm just saying that it would be nice to know where the cheapest gas in town is, so that if I need gas and am going to be near there anyway, I can get it. Don't put words in my mouth or make my answer seem idiotic by twisting what I said.

thelonious 2 years, 1 month ago

Once again, I didn't say anything about not being able to survive. All I said was that it was a nice public service for the LJW to have PumpPatrol, and that the reason given for dropping it was suspect. What is wrong with you people?

MarkPotts 2 years, 1 month ago

Our goal is to provide readers with valuable, useful information. Pump Patrol, in its most recent form, didn't really do that; it just said that a price was available in several locations, without offering any specifics. That reflected, in large part, the uniformity of gas prices in Lawrence. Services such as GasBuddy.com provide more timely, specific information, and we'll be providing links to that in the future. Thanks to everyone for your interest and comments. Mark Potts, VP-Content, Lawrence Journal-World

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

PH1: Finding gas that's a nickel per gallon cheaper doesn't save you anything in the long run if you're driving a longer distance to get it. The best thing people can do to save money on gas is to drive less.

---shhhhh, quiet, they're stickin' it to tha mann. okay!

thelonious 2 years, 1 month ago

See my answer to parrothead above. Also, driving less when just about all of one's driving is commuting to a job is a cute answer, but it doesn't really mean anything. Are you suggesting you would be willing to pay a tax for a better mass transit system?

patkindle 2 years, 1 month ago

according to most people gas was to high when it was 25 cents a gallon,,,,,,,, postage stamps are the same, 10 cents is too high it just gives folks more to whine about ..price really doenst matter

Centerville 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's see if it comes back after next Jan 20.