Sound Off

Sound Off: I live on a private road (owned by a HOA). We have a problem with through traffic speeding and driving recklessly. Is there anything that we can do about this? The police will not come and enforce any kind of speed limit since it is not considered a city street, yet hundreds of cars per day that do not live there use it as if it were a city street. Things are getting really dangerous with cars traveling upwards of 45 mph on a residential drive with moderate foot traffic and no sidewalk. There have been a few accidents already and even more near misses. If the answer is to issue trespass warnings, who has the authority to do that?

David Woosley, the city’s traffic engineer, recommends that the homeowner discuss this issue with their homeowners association. The city will not install traffic-calming devices on private streets. The HOA could install speed humps in the area, which would be the most effective method for controlling speed at the areas. Trespassing warnings would need to be enforced and posted by the HOA.

Comments

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 5 months ago

My house faces a public street. I do not live on a public street but the street in front of the houses is a public street. No one lives "on the stree" literally.

Anyway, my street is a public street. Who do I call to enforce speeding and pedestrians walking in a designated bicycle zone?

There are sidewalks and they are for pedestrians.

Who do I call?

I called 1-800-Goo Slow ,, but got no response. I called 1-800-Get HItt ...got some good answers.

I called 785 832 7509 and all I got was "what is your name, height, weight?" "what do the cars look like" "how fast are they going". All I could say then, was they have already driven down the street. And no I do not want to talk to an officer. The officer needs to write tickets for speeding.

But the best way to slow down traffic is have ALL city buses drive down the street the sound off caller is referrring to. After one week, the street will be in such disrepair and potholed, traffic will avoid it. It works all of the time. The T and KU buses are a blessing!

FlintHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Whoa. I don't have a pup in this fight, but I'm occasionally prompted to stand up for the underdog.
• I'm under the impression that the golf course used to be private, part of the "planned community." At that time, speeding and reckless driving presumably would not have been an issue, since only residents and their guests would have used the golf course/club. Has it occurred to any of you bashers that the questioner bought the home at that time and therefore could not have anticipated that the private drive would be used by the public? • Secondly, if the residents along that stretch are retirees, does it occur to you that it may not be feasible for them to pick up and move to the country or elsewhere in Lawrence? It seems to me a paid-off mortgage is a powerful incentive to stay put, and relocating at 70+-years might seem to be a horrible solution. Just sayin' . . .

thuja 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, for the days before automobiles. Seriously. They weren't that long ago.

Conveniences just seem to breed unintended consequences.

jman785 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't want people driving down my street anymore either. Let it be known, NO MORE TRAFFIC ON ILLINOIS BETWEEN 9th and 11th. Who can I talk to about this. We have had several "out of towners" on football saturdays that makes it dangerous to walk on the street.

Biker 1 year, 5 months ago

You really have limited options. Either the HOA gets involved and identifies this a problem for which you they allocate resources or you ignore the problem. If neither of these seem likely, the next best solution is to move. I lived in an HOA for years learned this the hard way. Ultimately, I ended up moving out in the country where I didn't have these sorts of problems and my neighbors are more respectful. Good Luck.

menstrualjanedoe 1 year, 5 months ago

PMS would make me open a can of whup A on speeders.

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

I like your post, however, booby traps are illegal. Even on private property.

1julie1 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't use this shortcut because I don't go to the golf course. I do sympathize with the HOA which must pay for the maintenance of the street which is clearly being used as a faster route to Alvamar via the north side.

Why don't they just close the street at the end of the houses and town homes (wherever the Alvamar part of the road picks up inside the golf course)?

If someone wants to get to Alvamar they can come in through the public part of Crossgate off of Clinton Parkway.

The only reason I can see that the homeowners want to keep it open past their ending point is if they want to have access to Alvamar that way.

If Alvamar wants to keep it open as an access route for their patrons then they should fund the maintenance of the street and contribute to more traffic calming devices (maybe they do already - does anyone know one way or another?).

asixbury 1 year, 5 months ago

The short area that is private on Crossgate already has speed-controlling devices built (those half circles on either side of the drive). On that part of the road, you cannot really speed since you have to go around the obstacles mentioned above. The problem must be with the traffic going through the golf course parking lot. Seems like the best answer for the residents is for the HOA to build sidewalks and more speed humps.

I am guilty of using that shortcut sometimes. I live directly on the south side of the golf course and I work not far from the north side (less than a mile straight down Monterrey Way). It takes a lot less time, and is much more logical, for me to drive straight to my destination instead of back tracking to Clinton, then down to Kasold or Wakarusa, then over again to Monterrey. Bad placement of a "private" road.

irvan moore 1 year, 5 months ago

does the city plow this street when it snows

kansanbygrace 1 year, 5 months ago

If the neighborhood and street are not in the city, they are still in the county. That's the Sheriff's department. They may have suggestions.

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

I love these idiotic questions of the day. They are sooooo much fun.

valgrlku 1 year, 5 months ago

On a side note: I am unfamiliar with said "private streets" within city limits, even if the neighborhood has an HOA. Is this distinctive to Lawrence? How would one find out if said street is "private," before moving to that area? I find this bizarre, to say the least...

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 5 months ago

Help me get this straight -- Crossgate running south from 15th (a.k.a. Bob Billings Pkwy) is a private road running from 15th to the Alvamar parking lot. Most of it along this length borders golf course, but there are half a dozen houses near 15th, the owner of one of which is most likely the question asker.

Or is this the portion of Crossgate that runs south from Alvamar to Clinton Parkway?

Is Crossgate a private road all the way from 15th to Clinton Pkwy? It does look like a nice way to get from 15th to Clinton Pkwy without having to go to Kasold or all the way out to Wakarusa.

Inquiring minds looking for a place to set up the after hours Lawrence Gran Prix want to know.

PhilChiles 1 year, 5 months ago

How about this: anyone who speeds is forced to attend a HOA meeting.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 5 months ago

Make that parking lot prohibitively difficult to pass through. Could mean just reorganizing the parking lot in some way, or adding a gate somewhere. Make people who are coming into the parking lot stop at a gate to justify their crossing, give residents and club members a window sticker to pass through quickly.

If you're going to live on private property and allow the HOA to run the show, don't go looking to the city when you have a problem like that.

g_rock 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds like a HOA that is not proactive, approachable or interactive with the residents. Oops.

ElGonzo 1 year, 5 months ago

Cheap HOA, poor design that allows easy drive through, no sidewalks, no bumps, and no signs. Raise your HOA fees and pay for the measures needed. It's private property your HOA can post the signs (hint: they won't work).

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

vert, the problem is the person asking the question, wants to live in a private community where they won't be bothered by the riff raff of mainstream Lawrence, to put of speedbumps would mean the people who live there have to slow down each time. They don't want to have to bother w/speedbumps. They just want the riff raff to stay out of their neighborhood.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 5 months ago

Have the question asker never heard of speed bumps?

smitty 1 year, 5 months ago

The police will not come and enforce any kind of speed limit since it is not considered a city street..

the real concern here?......no tickets for tickets on private streets?

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

Private security can do nothing except call the cops.

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

YOu chose to live there. Live with it. You wanted exclusion, live with it. Get over yourself.

gccs14r 1 year, 5 months ago

It won't do any good to put up gates if it's the neighborhood residents who are speeding. Maybe the HOA should hire private security to enforce the speed limit. (You do have speed limit signs up, don't you? Or do they detract from the sterile aesthetics of suburbia?)

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 5 months ago

Having just finished up doing some work over on 15th & Crossgate (the Alvamar entrance off 15th) I'm imagining this is the exact road people are referencing. I will concur that it was indeed a race track for all those who flew down it. This is a death trap for pedestrians. Lock your kids inside, people racing off to their tee time will kill us all.

kernal 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe the HOA should post a sign along the lines of "Private Property, Residents Only". That would keep most people out without having to put up gates, but gates are what many HOAs do in other states. You can get gates that open with a remote from your car. A drawback is when people take their remotes out of their cars and forget them.

I don't know how you're going to prove trespassing, unless residents are going to take turns sitting by the entrance with video cams to get shots of the drivers faces and tags.

alittlecurious 1 year, 5 months ago

Those are common problems on private roads... buyer beware!

Know1StepsInMyYard 1 year, 5 months ago

By everyone's logic, it would be fine if a child is hit and killed due to reckless driving, as long as it's on a privately owned road. Cool!

caton1982 1 year, 5 months ago

I live next to the highway, and sometimes you just have to deal with it, not everything is perfect, I have thefts all the time, but you don't see me complaining. You need to walk go to the track, the road is not that busy as it is in town, your complaing about 45 MPH! I would see whinning if there were going 60+ but it sounds like your like one of those old ladys where know one can step in your yard. You have to adjust to it like everyone else does when things change.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

shoot holes in the cars of violators.

jaywalker 1 year, 5 months ago

Unusually grumpy responses.

Take away the desire to use that road or drive fast; speed bumps or dips would work.

DennisReynolds 1 year, 5 months ago

Sometimes I feel like taking my 9 iron to the cars that drive through the alvamar parking lot at high speed.

cabmando 1 year, 5 months ago

sounds like the entrance to Alvamar off 15th St, already looks like an obstacle course

LogicMan 1 year, 5 months ago

Close one of the entrances permanently. Just make sure Fire and Rescue knows and can get in easily.

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

A roundabout would do the trick.

Keith Richards 1 year, 5 months ago

If it is a completely private road, you should quit whining and pay the money to install mechanized gates at each entrance.