Sound Off

Sound off: How much would the proposed recreation center cost individual homeowners over the next 20 years?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: The city is proposing to use funds from an existing sales tax to pay for a recreation center in northwest Lawrence. Sales taxes are charged on the amount of goods and services purchased in Lawrence.

Comments

GardenMomma 2 years, 7 months ago

A previous article says that $1.2 million in sales tax funds will be used. How does that translate to per individual?

patkindle 2 years, 7 months ago

hey, it is just pennies a day, and it is all about the kids what say you?

irvan moore 2 years, 7 months ago

this wreck center is not "for the kids"

kernal 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe future soundoff questions should include a request for who is really providing the answers other than the "stuck behind a rock and a hard place" spokesperson(s).

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

For the cost of this nonsense Lawrence,Kansas could have approximately 250 miles of a SAFE walking and biking network throughout Lawrence = convenient exercise opportunities. Far more local taxpayers would use this investment than will ever use this extravagant field house concept.

This would truly be a gift to the children of Lawrence,Kansas and their parents.

Let's make all of the neighborhoods worth more money.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

There is no market for this. The markets are saturated. The economy is a wreck due to bad home loans.

Here they go again. Saying yes without taxpayer approval and without real dollars and cents numbers and without a plan. Where are the fiscal conservatives? Not at City Hall.

This concept went from a disastrous plan for taxpayers to an even greater disastrous plan.

No matter what it is portrayed it is reckless spending of YOUR tax dollars and mine. And it is miles and miles away from at least 50% of Lawrence,Kansas.

As an investment in economic growth this Field House concept has been ruled a risk rather than a safe investment. Now it is an even greater risk. Let private money build it all.

I refuse to allow my tax dollars to be spent in such a way that does NOT benefit every neighborhood and will never pay back the taxpayers.

This concept dates back to when the city wanted to build a hotel/golf course etc etc etc on lake Clinton.

Put this matter to a vote. Plenty of taxpayers want this matter put to a vote as commissioners know darn well. They've heard this request from many many sources.

Ryan Kruse 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes Merrill it's a waste of tax dollars, right! You voted for the transit system and a library only the homeless use. You can ride the 'T' after you eat and play computer games at the library. The rest of us can get some exercise at the new rec center. People do not want to read your public forums any longer

paulveer 2 years, 7 months ago

I'd so much rather read windy Merrill than a hateful personal attack like this. Speak for yourself, but please wait until you learn to speak like an adult.

kernal 2 years, 7 months ago

Um, I use the library, ryank. Yes, I'm one of the people in Lawrence who is a voracious reader, but did not vote for the library expansion due to the state of the economy and believe me, I am not homeless. I am, however, in favor of the transit system having worked with and been related to handicapped people who cannot drive and who use transit systems. I also used one when I was in high school to get to school everyday which was three miles from home. I think there are enough people in Lawrence who use the system to get to school and jobs to warrant keeping it.

Who knows, someday you may need the T.

Tomato 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, I voted against both the library expansion and the T, and I use both.

I voted against the T because I think the cost per rider breakdown is ridiculous and irresponsible. After it went through, I started riding it regularly. Figured I was doing my part by bringing that cost per rider down. I have a car. I park it in my garage, which is attached to my home, which I own.

I voted against the library expansion because, as a regular user of the library, I knew that the library was functioning just fine and provides all of the services it needed to. I might have voted for a more reasonably priced satellite location - I think our community could have actually used that kind of expansion. I reserve books using my computer (I have one of those too), then go the library and get them, then I read them in my house.

As for the rec complex - it's probably going to spring up within bike riding distance from my house. But if I'm riding my bike, why would I need a rec complex? An outdoor pool or a bike path, I might have used - sprawling tennis courts, running tracks and basketball courts, not so much.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

The cost to taxpayers for infrastructure continues to skyrocket.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

Answer:

Since it is based on a sales tax, rather than a property tax, it would depend on how much the individual buys stuff in Lawrence. Additionally, since it is a sales tax,rather than a property tax, more than just homeowners will be paying for it.

Bigdog66046 2 years, 7 months ago

Didn't the city hear that the sales tax they want to use (what is to expire by the state) has been proposed to be extended. So they would have to RAISE the sales tax. Lets not spend $$ way before we can get it!!! And this should defiantly be put up for vote by the citizens that have to pay for it!!

George Lippencott 2 years, 7 months ago

This thing, if it ever stands still, will cost somebody between $20 and $50 million. The original plan was to fund it with a sales tax that would mostly support the $20mil end. The rest, if more is needed, will have to be additional new revenue.

That said, just exactly why is the sales tax for recreational facilities a permanent tax that our elected officials get to use as they wish? It is in fact a tax increase because the purpose for which it was originally intended is substantially met.

So the answer is a $20million tax increase (as a minimum) to be paid disproportionately by the poorest among us for the benefit of a limited number of the better off. And we argue we are progressive???

Mr. Brownback will have a field day pointing out are inconsistency when our delegation yelps because he wants to extend the state sales tax increase In fact, why not increase it to pay more for education and social services.? If we can afford a sales tax increase for a wealth minority we can sure afford it for basic services.

paulveer 2 years, 7 months ago

Very well said, Mod. Regressive spending.

patkindle 2 years, 7 months ago

hey, put it to the voters, the bleeding hearts will stuff the ballot box like always. just look at the bus, the depot, the homeless, the library we are a joke hey, it is just pennies a day, and it is all about the kids... what say you?

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

Mayor Bob Schumm. “I think there will be a level of amazement throughout the region when they see it in full operation. It will be unbelievable for our prestige when it comes to our amateur sports offerings.”

Bob where's the money? Bob where's the money? How much money is involved? The people want to vote for this. You've heard this from many.

“I would hope you could have some plays and some musicals out there,” Schumm said. “With the arts in this town, I think there would be a lot of opportunities. I think it could be a fun place to be out on a summer evening.”

You want to compete with Starlight Theatre? You want to compete with Shakespere in Park? Do you have any idea how much money that requires? You want to compete with the Lied Center,Liberty Hall,Arts Center the KCMO cultural arts market? Sprint Center? The money is not here.

Outdoor musicals will not draw the crowds.

No matter how this is presented it is still the PLAY project which is NOT worth another $40-$60 million. USD 497 spent $20 million on PLAY that is quite enough.

Topple 2 years, 7 months ago

Sales tax will never decrease in this city because every time a "temporary" increase is due to expire, the city commissioners come up with some new idea that can be paid for without raising taxes, but by simply extending the "temporary" tax increases of the past.