Sound Off

Sound Off: The medians on Kasold Drive between Trail and Peterson roads were replaced last year. New grass came up beautifully, but whoever is responsible for mowing waited until it was too tall, then mowed it and basically killed it. Who’s responsible for that breakdown and is someone going to reseed those medians?

Roger Steinbrock of the city’s marketing division provided this answer: Unfortunately, we have been experiencing a drought throughout the Midwest. This has had a huge impact on grassed medians, especially newly seeded areas. While our Parks and Recreation Department worked very hard this past summer to keep grass, plants and trees alive, it was often hard to keep newer grass plantings established. The contractor has agreed to come back and reseed this area yet this fall. They are working with the Parks and Recreation Department to accomplish that.

Comments

cowboy 2 years, 10 months ago

Memo to city....Stuff won't grow where there is no water ! Save us all a lot of money and stop the insanity.

Saw crews replacing dead trees on clinton pkway yesterday. Waste of time and dolllars

cowboy 2 years, 10 months ago

Saw crews replacing dead trees on clinton pkway yesterday. Waste of time and dollars

melott 2 years, 10 months ago

Memo to city: It's too late in the year to plant grass, even if it did rain.

spirit_level 2 years, 10 months ago

Not necessarily. Using the dormant seeding method, seed sown over the late fall/winter and will germinate in the early spring.

Joe Berns 2 years, 10 months ago

Not too late. I reseeded last week and grass is coming up now in my yard.

You can reseed in any month that has an R in it.

jj14 2 years, 10 months ago

Not at all. Have you seen the monthly forecast? Put seed down now it will totally have time to come up.

Kris Norton 2 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes...I wish ignorance was painful.

LadyJ 2 years, 10 months ago

There is such a thing as no maintenance landscaping.

justforfun 2 years, 10 months ago

Im Thomas Fritzel and I "plant" turf !!

kernal 2 years, 10 months ago

Scalping grass kills it, drought or no drought.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 10 months ago

This question inspired me to set a new personal goal. By the time I retire, I want my life to be so stress-free that the quality of the grass in a city median is a legit concern to me. If this "concern" truly takes up time in your daily life, you have a wonderful life that I am very jealous of.

somebodynew 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you !! While I did not ask this question, your response reminded me that I have worked that long and hard that this could be a legit concern to me. AND I do have a wonderful life.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 10 months ago

Keep away from grass. It is the gateway to trees, bushes and flowers, and God knows what else the human mind can come up with. Oh, wait...

Ricky_Vaughn 2 years, 10 months ago

Is the median in your yard? Some people need to learn how to mind their own business...

Richard Heckler 2 years, 10 months ago

Rock Gardens would be nice. Tree root systems must get discouraged taking on pavement.

Plant trees in green space on either side of the streets. Property owners will make sure they live. The city can come by and prune them correctly from time to time. Wright Tree Service should not touch most trees in Lawrence. I want my tax dollars to pay for a city owned tree trimming service. Bill accordingly to Westar.