Sound Off

Sound Off: If door-to-door solicitors have a valid city license, can they come to my door even if I have a “No Solicitors” sign posted outside my door?

According to the Lawrence Police Department, it is unlawful to solicit at a residence or business that has a sign displayed that prohibits soliciting or trespassing. Even with a license, they are also not allowed to solicit between the hours of 8 p.m. and 9 a.m. These violations can be reported to police. Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said also officers had received about a dozen calls in the last two weeks about door-to-door solicitors with licenses misrepresenting themselves as being affiliated with the homeowner’s home security company to try to gain entry into the residence to sell a different security system. McKinley said police are working with the consumer protection unit of Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office to try to determine what other avenues officials may have regarding such behavior.

Comments

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought about making a sign which would read:

"NO SOLICITING By knocking on this door you agree to pay the homeowner $20 cash at time of visit if your knocking encourages the dogs inside to bark, causing the children to awaken from a nap."

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

For exactly one day I had a job selling magazines door to door. It was very interesting, and I learned a whole lot in only that one day.

One of the most interesting things I learned was that quite often it's lots of fun to be a door to door salesman. But I was told you shouldn't have fun until your sales are good, because it takes time to have fun.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Get off of my lawn. from a source

del888 1 year, 11 months ago

so·lic·it    [suh-lis-it] verb (used with object) 1 .to seek for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc.: He solicited aid from the minister.

2 .to entreat or petition (someone or some agency): to solicit the committee for funds.

3 to seek to influence or incite to action, especially unlawful or wrong action.

1. to offer to have sex with in exchange for money.

Orwell 1 year, 11 months ago

Why don't we handle this like the no-call law – only enforce it better?

1. Establish a city No-Knock List. Anyone can choose to add his/her address.
  2. Add a requirement that anyone securing a city transient merchant license obtain a copy of the city's No-Knock List, at the solicitor's expense, and honor its limitation on solicitation.
  3. Violation of the No-Knock list results in revocation of license and ineligibility of new license for X months.
  4. There are probably constitutional limitations on enforcing this against religious or political solicitation, but responsible entities should voluntarily honor the list's request for privacy.

This should be the solicitor's obligation, not the resident's. Our courts recognize a "right to be left alone."

Pywacket 1 year, 11 months ago

@ mdlund0~ What you're saying is that someone's "right" to knock on doors and try to foist products of ideology (religion) on people should be valued more highly than the right of people to enjoy peace and quiet in their own homes.

I disagree and would welcome a law against soliciting. The homeowner should have the right not to be disturbed by someone they have not invited to their home or who has no other unavoidable reason to come by (e.g., to deliver a package or conduct census interviews).

A lot of people sleep days and work the night shift. Others have babies or toddlers whose naptime is a godsend to the parent. Many have dogs who will go nuts if a stranger shows up. People might be ill and trying to get some shut-eye. Once wakened for some clown's attempt to sell brushes or Jesus, the nightworker, infant, or sick person might find it difficult to get back to sleep.

Any time one person's rights are pitted against another, someone is going to have to compromise or not get their way. It does not make it a "police state" if the people who prevail in this circumstance is the homeowner and not the solicitor.

rtwngr 1 year, 11 months ago

Just answer the door and say no thank you. There is no need to be rude.

thebcman 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it legal to point a firearm at them and tell them to get off of your porch?

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

I once opened the door to a very nice young lady selling magazines; she remarked positively about the aroma emanating from my home, so I invited her in for a session. I ended up buying too many magazines that I never actually read.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

City soliciting license is called transient merchant. If you have a solicitor who can not show their licence, do your neighbors a favor, call the police and report the activity. License information can be found at http://www.lawrenceks.org/city_code/system/files/chapter06.pdf Article 8. Transient Merchants The licensee is suppose to have photo id and a back ground check. Most salespersons say their business has the license, they usually don't. KC Star solicitor lied. Each person is suppose to have one. I heard the commission changed the requirements a few years ago, I knew the old rules but don't know what may have changed.

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 11 months ago

I use to have a sign that said:

"NO SOLICITING Heritage Baptist Church - This Includes You!"

The last bit was underlined.

Still didn't work.

grammaddy 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear Solicitors; I am fine with the God I have. I love the vacuum cleaner I already own. I'm okay with my cable package. I already donate to the ACLU. All of you kids selling candy, feel free to knock. The rest of you: SCRAM!!

weiser 1 year, 11 months ago

My two German Shepards love it when they come to the door. They don't stay long though for some reason!

collective82 1 year, 11 months ago

Just answer naked they go away. Works every time!

MurphyCat 1 year, 11 months ago

I just don't answer the door.

irvan moore 1 year, 11 months ago

i just tell them to get off my porch and shut the door

acg 1 year, 11 months ago

I used to answer the door dressed as Death. That's funny to see their faces! I've told Jehovah's Witnesses that I was a Pagan (that scoots them out of there really quickly) and then there's the classic...flip on the sprinklers as soon as they get in your yard.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

If you answer the door and announce, "it's time for my enema, would you care to come in and assist?", you'll find people will tend to run away.

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

Door to door soliciting should be illegal. There is no reason the City of Lawrence should allow questionable solicitors to harrass residents by issuing them a license for fraud. We, as residents, should hold the city responsible for any illegal activities of a "City Licensed Solicitor" with recourse of any and all monitary losses incured. It is a responsability of the City to insure these people are legitimate before issue of a license.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

" I looked for a "no soliciting" sign all over town and couldn't find one, so I finally made my own. "

Look online.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

School fund raising young ones & their blue & yellow trash bags are usually welcome. Pro tip: Just offer the trash bags & skip the catalog with the 2-year old caramel corn I could order.

SnakeFist 1 year, 11 months ago

I absolutely hate when solicitors bother me at home, and I absolutely refuse to reward their behavior by ever buying anything from them. I don't mind a flyer stuck in my screen door, but don't give me a high pressure sales pitch while I'm standing in my door in my underwear. I looked for a "no soliciting" sign all over town and couldn't find one, so I finally made my own. I haven't had it up long enough to know if its really working.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

Hopefully, we can do this by neighborhood vs by house. I have had at least 5 this week, two of which were the home security types. Gets really old.