Sound Off

Sound Off: If door-to-door solicitors have a valid city license, can they come to my door even if I have a “No Solicitors” sign posted outside my door?

According to the Lawrence Police Department, it is unlawful to solicit at a residence or business that has a sign displayed that prohibits soliciting or trespassing. Even with a license, they are also not allowed to solicit between the hours of 8 p.m. and 9 a.m. These violations can be reported to police. Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said also officers had received about a dozen calls in the last two weeks about door-to-door solicitors with licenses misrepresenting themselves as being affiliated with the homeowner’s home security company to try to gain entry into the residence to sell a different security system. McKinley said police are working with the consumer protection unit of Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office to try to determine what other avenues officials may have regarding such behavior.

Comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Hopefully, we can do this by neighborhood vs by house. I have had at least 5 this week, two of which were the home security types. Gets really old.

mdlund0 2 years, 4 months ago

What area of town? I live way out on the west side and haven't seen any... yet.

SnakeFist 2 years, 4 months ago

I absolutely hate when solicitors bother me at home, and I absolutely refuse to reward their behavior by ever buying anything from them. I don't mind a flyer stuck in my screen door, but don't give me a high pressure sales pitch while I'm standing in my door in my underwear. I looked for a "no soliciting" sign all over town and couldn't find one, so I finally made my own. I haven't had it up long enough to know if its really working.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm kind of surprised Ace Hardware at 19th/Louisiana didn't have one ...

reverber 2 years, 4 months ago

There was a guy selling them door to door last week.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

All you have do is shut the door. Why are you standing there listening to them?

gphawk89 2 years, 4 months ago

That usually works. Things got quite interesting once when one of these guys tried to push the door back open as I was closing it.

luv2raft 2 years, 4 months ago

That, or just don't open the door in the first place. I don't answer the door unless it's a visitor I'm expecting or the UPS guy.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh,. I missed the "it's a visitor", and I thought it had something to do with the UPS guy.

parrothead8 2 years, 4 months ago

We bought our No Soliciting sign at the 6th/Kasold Ace Hardware.

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

School fund raising young ones & their blue & yellow trash bags are usually welcome. Pro tip: Just offer the trash bags & skip the catalog with the 2-year old caramel corn I could order.

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

Door to door soliciting should be illegal. There is no reason the City of Lawrence should allow questionable solicitors to harrass residents by issuing them a license for fraud. We, as residents, should hold the city responsible for any illegal activities of a "City Licensed Solicitor" with recourse of any and all monitary losses incured. It is a responsability of the City to insure these people are legitimate before issue of a license.

mdlund0 2 years, 4 months ago

If you're looking for a police state, you should consider North Korea or Iran.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

Even the crap-hole Salina has made door-to-door soliciting illegal. This is just a basic right for the residents not to be harrassed.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

If you answer the door and announce, "it's time for my enema, would you care to come in and assist?", you'll find people will tend to run away.

Katara 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh, I don't know. I'm sure if those folks read your posts on here, they'd be more than happy to administer one to you.

acg 2 years, 4 months ago

I used to answer the door dressed as Death. That's funny to see their faces! I've told Jehovah's Witnesses that I was a Pagan (that scoots them out of there really quickly) and then there's the classic...flip on the sprinklers as soon as they get in your yard.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

My dad answers the door to Jehovah Witnesses wearing his "Jesus" costume from Halloween. The looks on their faces are priceless!

jwoww 2 years, 4 months ago

Just FYI - Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT solicitors. They are not trying to sell you anything. They are volunteers, giving their time to talk to their neighbors about the Bible. There are plenty of Supreme Court cases establishing their right to do this work - most recently the Stratton case in 2003.

I'm a lawyer and have relatives that are witnesses, and I can't believe how they get treated sometimes, yet still keep a positive attitudes toward others. If you don't want to listen to them, fine, but there's no need to be a jerk about it. Golden rule, people...

ksarmychick 2 years, 4 months ago

The golden rule?!?! I thought that was treat others as you wish to be treated. According to me the golden rule would apply that I would not want to be harassed by someone trying to "push" their religious beliefs on me or sell me crap I don't need. I have dogs and small children and have 3 times this week had my kids woken up by people knocking at my door trying to sell me crap I don't need or try to talk to me about the bible. One by some dude in a green shirt trying to sell me windows and siding, once by some dude with home security systems and once by 2 older men with some church.
Well I believe that people should be free to pratice whatever religion they see fit, I also should be granted the same right. I would NEVER show up at a strangers door to bother them and their family in their own home to try and force my beliefs upon them.
And I have tried not answering the door but they just continue to stop by my house several times a day until they make contact. And when they make contact and I tell them I not interested-they don't go away but continue with their stupid sales pitch.

jwoww 2 years, 4 months ago

So put up a "No Trespassing" sign - that way, anyone coming on your property could potentially be prosecuted for trespassing.

jwoww 2 years, 4 months ago

So put up a "No Trespassing" sign. That would make them think twice before coming on your property.,

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

Supposedly you can request a do not visit from the Johovah's. Ask if they are affiliated with a local church. I called the church after some were rude to me in front of my daughter. I have no interest in "getting" them, but someone saying they are from a religious organization is not an excuse from civility.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 4 months ago

are they not soliciting tickets to heaven?

irvan moore 2 years, 4 months ago

i just tell them to get off my porch and shut the door

MurphyCat 2 years, 4 months ago

I just don't answer the door.

collective82 2 years, 4 months ago

Just answer naked they go away. Works every time!

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 4 months ago

back in college about 10 years ago, I delivered for a sandwich shop and had a customer answer the door that way once at the Apple Lane Apartments (15th & Kasold). Needless to say, it did not encourage me to go away.

grammaddy 2 years, 4 months ago

Dear Solicitors; I am fine with the God I have. I love the vacuum cleaner I already own. I'm okay with my cable package. I already donate to the ACLU. All of you kids selling candy, feel free to knock. The rest of you: SCRAM!!

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

City soliciting license is called transient merchant. If you have a solicitor who can not show their licence, do your neighbors a favor, call the police and report the activity. License information can be found at http://www.lawrenceks.org/city_code/system/files/chapter06.pdf Article 8. Transient Merchants The licensee is suppose to have photo id and a back ground check. Most salespersons say their business has the license, they usually don't. KC Star solicitor lied. Each person is suppose to have one. I heard the commission changed the requirements a few years ago, I knew the old rules but don't know what may have changed.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 4 months ago

I once opened the door to a very nice young lady selling magazines; she remarked positively about the aroma emanating from my home, so I invited her in for a session. I ended up buying too many magazines that I never actually read.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

No, but I think you can spritz them with water if they don't leave when asked. Opps spouse says not that either.

rtwngr 2 years, 4 months ago

Just answer the door and say no thank you. There is no need to be rude.

Orwell 2 years, 4 months ago

Why don't we handle this like the no-call law – only enforce it better?

1. Establish a city No-Knock List. Anyone can choose to add his/her address.
  2. Add a requirement that anyone securing a city transient merchant license obtain a copy of the city's No-Knock List, at the solicitor's expense, and honor its limitation on solicitation.
  3. Violation of the No-Knock list results in revocation of license and ineligibility of new license for X months.
  4. There are probably constitutional limitations on enforcing this against religious or political solicitation, but responsible entities should voluntarily honor the list's request for privacy.

This should be the solicitor's obligation, not the resident's. Our courts recognize a "right to be left alone."

del888 2 years, 4 months ago

so·lic·it    [suh-lis-it] verb (used with object) 1 .to seek for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc.: He solicited aid from the minister.

2 .to entreat or petition (someone or some agency): to solicit the committee for funds.

3 to seek to influence or incite to action, especially unlawful or wrong action.

1. to offer to have sex with in exchange for money.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

For exactly one day I had a job selling magazines door to door. It was very interesting, and I learned a whole lot in only that one day.

One of the most interesting things I learned was that quite often it's lots of fun to be a door to door salesman. But I was told you shouldn't have fun until your sales are good, because it takes time to have fun.