Sound Off

Sound off: Is it legal to mow your grass clippings into the street?

Mowing your grass clippings into the street is a violation of the city’s Stormwater Pollution Prevention Code. The city’s code states that no person shall release or cause to be released into the storm drainage system any discharge that is not composed entirely of uncontaminated storm water. Common stormwater contaminants include trash, yard waste, lawn chemicals, pet waste, wastewater, oil, petroleum products, cleaning products, paint products, hazardous waste and sediment. The city’s Stormwater Division can be reached at 832-3143.

Comments

thuja 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure it is not good to use the storm sewers as a trash can for your used 32oz. cups.

But I saw someone do that tonight. Nice & classy!

Liberty_Or_Death 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow we can build noxious carcinogenic roads on mother earth, endure chemically polluted city water, parks, rivers, air, and watch as police officers run their engines unmanned sometimes for hours!? God forbid natural plant matter land on a road, or even worse in our waterways! I bet next year we'll have to catch all the fall leaves from the trees in nets before the wind blows them next door or even worse into our purified chemical free sewer system... Sir, we witnessed that leaf caught by the wind land on public property, we're sorry but we have to charge you! Seriously, this is Lawrence Kansas let's adrress the trespasses against our liberty society and humanity! .Love&Light.

Topple 1 year, 10 months ago

This is what happens when you let a Democrat take the oval office...decent people can't even dump their waste into sewers anymore. I mean, what good is a sewer without proper waste??

toe 1 year, 10 months ago

Why more government is less freedom.

acg 1 year, 10 months ago

Wait....I heard the Shadow knows, too!

Tomato 1 year, 10 months ago

Sometimes I shake my fists and scream into the wind for it to stop blowing grass clippings and leaves into the street. Why does it never listen?

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

There was so much sand (from sanding the streets for ice, I suppose) in the gutters one year, I scooped up buckets of it and put it on my garden. I've done the same with leaves and topsoil. During one rain so much top soil was washing down the gutter in front of my house that I made a small dam to collect it and keep everything from washing into the drainage system. Had some really nice soil for my garden.

mrchips 1 year, 10 months ago

This town is full of self righteous, over-educated people with absolutely no common sense, nor street skills.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

The person asked a legit question, you presumptive know-it-alls. The person did not say 'Why can't I mow the clippings into the street?' The person didn't whine. The person was curious as to whether it was legal or not. Sheesh. I gonna get some papers & head to snap's house.

booyalab 1 year, 10 months ago

Sound off: Is it legal to bust a cap in a club in Lawrence?

You just scurry your little butt back to Topeka or KC, we'll take it up with the club owner.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Smoke those clippings and the problem is avoided.

David Albertson 1 year, 10 months ago

So let me get this straight. I can only use half of MY driveway because the city owns the half that the sidewalk crosses, and that's a no parking zone. I can't park on my own grass. I can't leave snow on my sidewalk for more than 24 hours. I can't blow my grass clippings in to the street. I can't turn the radio up in my car, or my house. I can't smoke at a resturant, bar, etc.. I can't rent my house out without the city's permission, and paying a fee of course. If my house is old, I have to ask permission to make any improvements. Are there any other liberties I have to part with to become a member of your perfect society?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 10 months ago

Dumb follows dumb. Only an idiot would blow clippings in the street anyway. It's very simple to not do so. Just turn the mower so the first couple of cuts blows the clippings onto the yard.

Lawrence has idiots mowing. Welcome to the City of Dumb, Dumb breeds dumb.

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 10 months ago

Who thinks of questions like this? Sounds like SOMEONE needs to GET a LIFE!!!!

shanep 1 year, 10 months ago

Like children in the back seat on a long trip. "Mooooommm...her grass clippings are getting in my storm drain!" "UH-UH, HE RAN A SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SHOP IN HIS GARAGE FIRST!!" Someone needs to pull over and come back there!

irvan moore 1 year, 10 months ago

if the ljw was smart they would change their phone number

acg 1 year, 10 months ago

Sniff, Snivel, Whine! This is going to be my stock response to all of these whiny sound offs where some snivelly little a** is snivelling about BS.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh this is way too much. Are you trying to tell me a person can't allow grass clippings to fall into the street because they'll make their way into the storm drainage system. Might I remind the great all knowing City leaders that tree leaves fall into the street, their own mowing people blow cut grass and other trimmings into the street and that, imho, there are far too many imbeciles running this city who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Good grief!

blogme 1 year, 10 months ago

Either it's a troll posting these sound off stories or the LJWorld is taking questions from some serious cry babies. This one is about as obvious as "If I break the law, am I really breaking the law?" I can't believe space, or bytes in this case, in supposedly a "NEWS"paper, is being wasted on carp like this. Nice job LJWorld. Seriously, this is as good as it gets? What's the next most obvious thing you can post as a sound off question?

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Is it illegal for me to pee in my own yard?

biggunz 1 year, 10 months ago

Too bad it's not illegal to b*tch and moan in the local newspaper about things this stupid.

Amy Heeter 1 year, 10 months ago

Well then the city should go after buckinghsm palace cleaning service, because they dump dirty cleaning water in gutters per owner's direction.

Hooligan_016 1 year, 10 months ago

This is a pretty standard ordinance for NPDES Phase II cities across the nation. Limiting the amount of organic material being discharged into the storm sewer helps reduce phosphorus/nitrogen loads in the receiving water (most likely the Kansas or Wakarusa river).

A few clippings isn't going to be substantially harmful, but it's the a-holes who knowingly dump bags and bags of grass/organic material into stormdrains should be penalized.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

This is why waxing is better.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 10 months ago

I read this article very late last night. Then, I went to bed and dreamed I was mowing a lawn. It was very hard work and it wore me out. I am still tired from it.

Can I sue? Or at least get paid for mowing that lawn?

salad 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the intention is to prevent people from raking all their leaves into the street in the fall, so they have to classify it as "yard waste". I have seen a giant pile of grass in the gutter before, but not like all the lazy b@$&*!!#'s who rake their leaves into the gutter thinking that somehow they'll magically disappear or that the city will sweep them up. Those are the poeple this ordinance was for, and who should be cited.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 10 months ago

DougCounty (anonymous) says… "Follow-up question: has anyone ever been ticketed for this offense?"

It seems to be in the same class of violation as this: http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2008/m...

OPColt 1 year, 10 months ago

I mow my yard but i do not bag the grass. So i guess if the loose grass blows off my lawn into the street, then that is illegal?

OPColt 1 year, 10 months ago

Ken Lassman 1 year, 10 months ago

Follow-up question: has anyone ever been ticketed for this offense?

purplesage 1 year, 10 months ago

Using air and taking up space will soon be against city code. This is a dastarly crime, indeed.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Someday a big rain's gonna come and wash all the grass clippings off the street.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

In The Peoples Republic of Lawrence grass clippings will land you in the Gulag.

JJE007 1 year, 10 months ago

That effectively makes lawns illegal. You're all under arrest! WEEE!~)

deec 1 year, 10 months ago

Is anyone ticketing the stray cats and other critters that live in the sewers?

parrothead8 1 year, 10 months ago

Does the city code apply to city crews cutting grass in the median?