Sound Off

Sound Off: What kind of herbicides and chemicals does the city use in the parks and other areas? And why do they use them?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: City staff uses pesticides as a tool to control unwanted and noxious weeds such as poison ivy and other plant pests such as bagworms in selected areas. A map of green parks and other limited-spray areas is available at lprd.org. The department created an Integrated Pest Management Policy including an accepted pesticide materials list several years ago. All chemicals used are Category Level 3 or 4. When spray applications are occurring, the department posts signs in advance of spraying and leaves the signs up for 24 hours after completion. The parks department also uses alternative methods of weed control including sheet and wood chip mulching and mowing grass high to help control weeds and reduce use of pesticides.

Comments

dipweed 1 year, 11 months ago

"And why do they use them?".....to keep the weeds away ya dipweed!

Jane 1 year, 11 months ago

I think the city feeds miracle grow to the dandelions.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

dude them petacides and grasstacides ain't no problem at the lieberry when it cold outside and warmer inside and didn't get on to florida again that year. I don not like spiders ar itchy knees. the poissons are gooder fo us.

consumer1 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like to see a map that is "Green" and full of chiggars and ticks and other muliti legged creatures. So, I know where the Trustfund Hippies should be located. Then I can make sure I go to another park. That is "pest free"...

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

Funny, I use herbicides for unwanted weeds and poison ivy. Never would occur to me to use a pesticide. How is that working for them?

I use pesticides for bugs, insects.

They could of provided a list of product. I don't think a knowledgeable person responded.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

When I change the oil in my car I pour the old oil out in the yard to kill weeds, besides, that is where it came from...

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

"There is a monster amount of cancer on this planet as we speak."

It spreads prolifically, even infecting the comment threads with diatribe after diatribe, linking & cutting & pasting with its insidious, mind numbing negativity.

woodscolt, I suspect snap has more intelligence than you & me put together.

foggydew 1 year, 11 months ago

She actually said, "pesticides" control weeds. Jeez. Get someone who knows the difference between pesticides and herbicides.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

They gotta use something strong to control the vermin that falls off the filthy hippies.

asixbury 1 year, 11 months ago

I am extremely sensitive to poison ivy, sumac, oak, you name it. So I, for one, and very glad they spray the parks I like to use. I wouldn't be able to hike or walk my dogs in these areas if they didn't. I don't even have to come into direct contact with the plant; just walking by it, or the wind blowing in the right direction is all I need to get infected.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

You cannot run or hide from carcinogenic chemicals.

There is a monster amount of cancer on this planet as we speak. It has been suggested that approximately 20% of our population smokes tobacco. Why are so many in the other 80% being diagnosed with cancer? The government has trillions of tax dollars for the war machine yet still cannot explain why cancers have developed in living bodies nor can cancer be absolutely cured.

On the labels it is suggested that pets,pregnant moms and children should not be exposed to the carcinogenic chemicals being applied? Why is that?

When I see toxic spray applicators doing it in the wind I wonder about that.... drift can have dramatic impacts on humans,animals and living plants.

How does an applicator know whether or not a human being is not somewhere in the area breathing in the toxic chemical, or a pet or birds or a young child? The applicator has no clue keeping in mind this carcinogenic chemical cannot be seen but can potentially drift for for a few miles so it was explained.

When I see toxic chemical applicators with little protection I also wonder about that. It is my assumption that respirators and a full body coverage suit is the desired protective gear because that's what I was taught in my toxic chemical class. Yes it has strong resemblance to a haz mat suit and this info was handed out to the class known as Disease and Pests of Ornamental Plants.

This "haz mat suit" brochure convinced me I should never use or apply toxic chemicals in my business. There have been plenty of clients who welcome no toxic chemicals in the yard. A weed yard is not natural but an illusion. Instead I offered to "weed" the beds in a yard as opposed to applying toxic chemicals.

Yes one can follow directions however that cannot guarantee that cancer will not be the end result of exposing oneself to carcinogenic yard chemicals. Cancer is a funny deal because it can take years to develop up to 25 years so I learned while educating myself on the risks of exposure to radioactive materials.

You cannot run or hide from carcinogenic chemicals.

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Not too long ago, their was an attempt to do away with many of the herbicides and have people volunteer to pull weeds to we could keep the parks chemical free. I think that lasted about two times and interest dropped off. So, if you don't want chemicals sprayed in the parks, I'm sure Parks & Recs won't have a problem if you'd like to get some folks together and do a little weeding. Maybe that could be an optional community service project instead of picking up trash along the highways.

Glo 1 year, 11 months ago

The use of herbicides in the cemeteries is creating a very unattractive space. It is bare dirt several inches back from the headstones and makes many stones look like they are newly installed that have been there for years. This has been happening for several years now, so we have bare dirt or weeds instead of grass. I realize this is easier than trimming, but not very respectful of the final resting space of our loved ones. It may be safe, but certainly unattractive!

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

They probably use some Roundup here & there, some broadleaf weed killer, maybe some stuff for bagworms & possibly some foliar fertilizers. What is used is speculation on my part, but I don't think anyone is sticking his or her head in the sand. Follow the directions on the label & it's not dangerous at all. That was my experience when I used to do similar work.

repaste 1 year, 11 months ago

.Never answered the question. Stick your head in the sand folks, but, some of these chemicals are dangerous and overused.

oneflewover 1 year, 11 months ago

Why do they use them... Really? Stay in your own weed infested (East Lawrence?) yard if you are that concerned.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

They use them because they're evil and want to give you cancer. That or they use them because they work, it's one of those, I can't remember.