Sound Off

Sound Off: How do I stop receiving the mountains of junk mail that we get every day?

The Federal Trade Commission recommends consumers consider “opting out” of pre-screened credit and insurance offers, which can cut down on the volume of junk mail. Go to optoutprescreen.com to opt out and learn more about the options.

Comments

Soapbox 2 years, 4 months ago

Quit checking the mailbox..............who uses U.S. mail system anymore?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 4 months ago

Get off of it soap, there is a lot of business that cannot be conducted on your little toy plastic dead battery gadget. The makers of the electronic toys have not yet developed a way to send my ebay purchases to me.

Jeff Supernaw 2 years, 4 months ago

Google 'mail preference service'. Send them a letter. This will stop about 90% of your junk mail.

Chris Beilman 2 years, 4 months ago

Have a little fun with this. Let’s call it … Junk Sharing. Most junk mail includes a postage paid return envelope. Take this envelope and stuff it with the other junk mail received by another company, and visa-versa … Make sure you stuff as much as you can in this envelope as to increase the costs of the return postage. Also, include the envelope, or cut out the portion that shows “Resident” and the address they sent it to. I’m sure they will take you off the list as soon as they figure out what you are doing. Have a nice day !!!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been doing this amusing little prank for years. Doesn't seem to slow the flow, however.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

Without junk mail, the USPS would be even farther in the red than it is now.

Bob Forer 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if that is true. Currently, the postal service operates in the red. The cheapest rates paid are by the bulk mailers. I don't believe the post office makes much, if any money for handling the large quantities of bulk mail. Its the small package deliver spawned by internet purchases on sites such as ebay that keeps the postal service barely afloat.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

That is not accurate. We would lose a percentage of junk mail if they raised the rates to what most citizens pay, but we would not lose all the junk mail and it would have more revenue per unit. We have had to enlarge distribution center and we would not have to handle a lot of cheap junk mail. We would have less bulk but the revenue would not go all away. No one states that junk mail would completely disappear , unless that is your contention Snap. Delivery and sorting time would be shorter and we could have longer routes, Lots of financial advantages to down sizing the bulk of the mail and ending the junk mail special rates.
I don't see a need for Saturday delivery. Smaller amounts of mail that pays for itself. isn't the bigger is best plan, only the unlimited corporate welfare approach will work. It is like insisting every road has to have eight lanes. Every service doesn't have to grow, grow , grow. It is reasonable to raise the price of junk mail, and have less bulk. It is a lie, we have to subsidize private mail by giving the services to junk mail at more than half the price. I wouldn't mind paying 50 to 70 cents for a letter and continue to have the country wide, every home delivery. The idea of ending the postal services and using Fed EX or UPS is a tea party economic disaster idea.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 4 months ago

They have nice shipping boxes. I get stuff from ebay shipped by UPS and FEDEX in the USPS boxes. Neat!!!

Zype 2 years, 4 months ago

Can I opt out of Knology's mailing list? I receive at least once a day, sometimes two. It's ridiculous, and it's obnoxious.

troll 2 years, 4 months ago

I have had good results using https://www.catalogchoice.org/ , although it won't help with credit card offers.

I also receive one or two mailings from knology every week, would be nice to get off their list.