Sound Off

Sound Off: We are on the no-call list, and we get calls from “card member services.” How can we get them to stop calling or make a complaint?

Consumers who believe a business is violating the Do Not Call Registry can file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-CALL-FCC or online at fcc.gov/complaints.

Comments

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

A former employer provided me with a cell phone so he could stay in contact during business hours. Problem was he called 10 to 20 times over the days off wanting info on certain accounts, equipment, schedules. I was able to procure a list of work and private numbers for supervisors, dispatchers, office staff and the regional manager, then would call forward to a different person every few hours on my days off. It was great! Too bad it can't be done for telemarketers . . . .

It wasn't very long before we were required to turn phones in at end of shift . . . .

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Engage as akuna described with th most outragous nonsense you can think of and go on and on and on....then lay the phone down and go do something...

costello 1 year, 11 months ago

I report them occasionally - when I have the time and a high enough irritation level. Usually I just ignore them. Reporting them is probably an exercise in futility.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's an idea for a viable small business for someone that has a small amount of capital, an entrepreneurial spirit, and marketing skills. And, it's not necessary to invent the technology, all you need to do is copy the published circuitry. But you would probably want to modify it a bit for lower cost production with newer and less expensive components.

If anyone gets a patent on it, it will be very easy for anyone to break it by the very clear demonstration of prior art, because I believe it was published in an international publication many years ago. After that has been done, the patent is worthless. Well, not really worthless. What that patent would become would be a published blueprint in the public domain for anyone that cared to build, market, and sell the device. That would be handy. Very few people seem to realize the limitations of a patent. It's nothing more than a license to sue anyone that infringes it.

The way it works is for the circuitry to answer the telephone immediately, then the telemarketer would hear silence, the call would not be answered.

What is necessary for your friends to do right after the telephone has been answered is to dial your personal three or more digit code right after the telephone has been answered, then your telephone works normally.

And, you can change the code anytime you want. Just be sure to tell everyone that you want to receive calls from what the new code is.

Actually? I'm amazed that product was never on the market to my knowledge. It was a front page kit project on the front page of Radio-Electronics, which was a Gernsback publication that is now out of print, way back in the 1980s. It was certainly not my original idea.

PuckettBrowne 1 year, 11 months ago

I keep my voicemail on all the time set to five rings so I can get to it before it kicks in if I'm at home. I also have the greatest thing the phone company ever invented--caller ID. If it lists an 800 or 866 number and doesn't say who the caller is, I don't answer. If it's legitimate, they leave a message. Strangest thing. They never do. Here's a secret. They only ring four times. I haven't talked to any of those people probably for ten years. I'm on the no-call list as well but I really don't need it.

akuna 1 year, 11 months ago

I have a different tactic for calls that I think are from scammers.

When I answer, which is only when I have time to kill, I try to keep them on the line for as long as possible. I "listen" the there spiel and pretend like I am complying with their desires. And then I tell them a fictional story that is quasi related to their pitch. "Last I used my credit card to buy Preparation H, my credit card was declined. I had to suffer through days of hemorrhoid pains. With their help and my new an improved interest rates, I should be able to get ahead of my payments. Then I can afford more Preparation H. My ass will be so much happier. My ass thanks you."

I do this for few reasons. A) it keeps them from phishing someone might fall for the scam, B) After a few times they stop calling at least for a few months. The must keep logs about time on phone and return on investment. C) It is fun to make up stories and hear their reactions. My record so far is just shy of 15 minutes.

cummingshawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I've hit the 9 to be removed, hasn't worked yet, I've spoken to the rude man several times, actually yelled at him a couple of times, he blithely informs me they can and will continue to call and hangs up, I've filled out the FCC complaint form at least six times. And they will talk to my answering machine, usually the first part of the spiel is missed. Overall, my use of the do not call list has resulted in markedly reducing annoying calls, except for these folks. As for the political party calls, when I get a live person, I tell them I want to be on their do not call list, they tell me they don't have to abide by that rule, when I tell them this will cause all my future votes to be cast for the other party, their attitude changes and I am assured my number will be removed from their lists for future information/get out the vote calls.

colreader 1 year, 11 months ago

If you get these calls on your cell, put the number into your phone directory and label it "SPAM". Then when they call again, your phone will ID it as SPAM and you'll know not to answer.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

"Sometimes I enjoy talking to strangers....." Hot diggety, g_! That is good news. I'll get back to you.

paulveer 1 year, 11 months ago

Finally, after attempting various strategies over several years, I stopped getting calls from "Card Services" after calling my credit card company and insisting that it be stopped. Seems they were behind it all along, supplying numbers to third parties.

tir 1 year, 11 months ago

I report them to donotcall.gov every time they call, but I think they just get new numbers to call from.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Sometimes I enjoy talking to strangers....

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 11 months ago

They outright refuse to tell you what the name of their company is... and usually hang up then.

FlintHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

On both our landline and cells, we simply don't answer unless we recognize the name and/or number. Legit callers leave a message (and sometimes the scammers do, also, but they're easy to deal with as a voice message: Delete). This works for us.

A few weeks ago I read that the Android phone have a "block call" capability. Anyone know if other smartphones have that feature?

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh you all are missing a prime opportunity here!

50 fun things to do to telemarketers: http://www.boredatuni.com/stuff.php?stuffId=73

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

The police and sheriffs officer associations are the worst. They should be the ones enforcing the no call list laws, but I still get calls from them all the time.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

When I had my land line I got calls from a credit agency looking for a Richard Davenport, they were convinced that I am his wife and hiding him. We'll find him, they kept saying. I started to feel as though I was protecting him. It did sound classy though, Mrs. Richard Davenport, like one of those society dames from a 30's movie. LOL

Lynn731 1 year, 11 months ago

This doesn't always work, but I have had good success with it. I ask the caller, if human and not a computer, if they have $ 10,000. Of course they don't or they wouldn't be doing such a job. When they say no, I tell them that is the fine for calling people on the no call list, of which I am a charter member. Then I tell them they had best check with the owner of the sleazy company they work for, to see if they have an extra $ 10,000. They won't do that because they will lose the great job they have. Then I suggest they take my phone number off of their calling list. Works ok most of the time. Plus it is fun to do.

deec 1 year, 11 months ago

I get these calls as well, and I also don't have a credit card.

I moved into my mom's house and kept the same phone number. The scam calls that really bother me are the ones from Jamaica from the guy who claims to be my deceased mother's fiancee. Those hack me off.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Jane, I get those calls informing me they have an urgent message concerning my current credit card. I haven't had a credit card in years.

Jane 1 year, 11 months ago

In the unlikely event that I answer 'unknown' callers, I found that if I listen to the end they will instruct me to press '9' to be removed from their call list. It seems to have worked. I used to get these calls three or more times a week, now, not at all.

I have a question for Orwell--what is the scam involved here? Do they really want to lower our credit card interest rates? Are they fishing for info? Thanks.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Connect/disconnect/done. Can't stop 'em so when a number I don't recognize shows up on caller ID it gets flushed. Used to tell 'em the phone was there for my convenience not theirs but they weren't impressed.

Same with politicians, regardless of party affiliation. If I want their opinion I will email 'em.

And while your at it, Get Off My Lawn!!

ibroke 1 year, 11 months ago

dont they make a devise that will kill the call? I thought there was but cant remember

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

5 simple steps. 1. cut landline 2. get cell phone. 3. send all non recognized numbers straight to voicemail 4. get voicemail transcription service 5. read voicemails at your leisure

never be bothered again

foggydew 1 year, 11 months ago

I've used both an air horn and a gym whistle. Neither accomplished a thing.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

These are horrible people. After dozens of calls, I punched enough buttons to get to the live guy & asked to get off their list. He said, "no," and disconnected. They called back the next day & the day after that & the day after... I'm gonna fetch an air horn or a gym whistle for future conversations.

Kate Rogge 1 year, 11 months ago

They've been calling my elderly mother's home for years now - up to several times a day for the past several months - and the calls frighten her. She asks me "why are they doing this to me?" and I have no answers.

Orwell 1 year, 11 months ago

The Federal Trade Commission says action has been taken against this scam, and they're gathering reports of continuing violations to impose additional penalties. The callers are plainly American, and the FTC (unlike the FCC) doesn't have to be concerned with whether the calling path is 100% domestic.

Step One: Call the FTC complaint number – 1-877- FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).

Step Two: Call your Congressional offices and complain. As them to pressure the FTC, Justice and anyone else necessary to make it a priority to shut down this scam. A healthy reward offer would surely get some lower-level flunky to turn in the top schemers.

LogicMan 1 year, 11 months ago

Those calls are likely attempted con-jobs, probably from overseas. Don't give out any personal information, nor agree to anything.

But if actually from your credit card company, just ask nicely to be put on their No Call List for solicitations. Still don't give out any of your information, including card number, your SSN or birthdate, etc.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

The F.C.C. can only enforce the Do Not Call Registry if the calls are made from within the United States. Many or most of the violations are done by companies from other nations, usually Canada, and there is nothing that can be done about them under the present laws.

topeka52 1 year, 11 months ago

good luck getting them to quite calling, I have reported them to the FCC and the state and they can not do a thing about it. Your best bet is to ignore the call by not answering it. If you have caller ID you will notice that frequently the number will have an excess of 000's within the number. Been happening to me for several years and yes it is a pain in the a**

Tristan Moody 1 year, 11 months ago

Honestly, you can't. The caller-ID is spoofed, and they've been doing this for years with impunity. As long as it's possible to spoof caller-ID data, the do-not-call laws are toothless, as it's impossible to actually catch them.