Sound Off

Sound Off: Will the Kansas University campus be open to through traffic Friday, which is Stop Day?

Jill Jess, a KU spokeswoman, said that campus will be closed to drive-through traffic during the usual hours on Friday. “We keep campus closed for Stop Day because opening up for one day and then closing again for finals has proven to be confusing,” she said.

Comments

Steve Swaggerty 2 years, 7 months ago

New resident or just the usual BRAIN DEAD question?

hildirid 2 years, 7 months ago

More likely a long-time resident, since the policy on this has varied (as the answer reflects).

hujiko 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sick of people that think cutting through campus will actually be quicker than going around. If you don't live on, work at, or attend class on campus you have no business being there during the day.

Orwell 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't live on, work at, or attend class on 23rd Street either, but the last I heard, they were both public property.

I choose not to go on campus during the day, with a few exceptions, but please don't tell me where you think I "have no business being."

hujiko 2 years, 7 months ago

Well let's see, 23rd street is a highway/arterial road with 4 lanes including a center turn lane with a posted speed limit of 35-45 mph depending on the given stretch. Jayhawk Blvd is two lanes with one side devoted to parking, with a posted limit of 20 mph. There is no comparing the two other than the fact they are both riddled with potholes. Crosstown traffic using campus as a "shortcut" inhibits the local traffic that actually requires using those streets, a frustration you wouldn't understand if not part of the campus community. The high concentration of pedestrians and bicyclists also increases the odds of an accident if there are motorists trying to shave some minutes off their commute.

Campus is actually state property, therefore they can tell you where you "have no business being." That's why they are able to shut Jayhawk Blvd in the first place. Personally I think they need to increase the hours of closure, if not shut down Jayhawk Blvd and turn it into a pedestrian mall with access limited to emergency responders and required maintenance.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

When I was younger, I would I occasionally get bored and run through the checkpoints whilst a passenger mooned the students. Once we did a naked fire drill right in front of Wescoe. Everyone cheered. It was glorious.