Sound Off

Sound Off: Does the city have a light ordinance that would prohibit someone from having an outdoor light on that shines into a neighbor’s house 24-7?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: The city’s development code prohibits spotlights or floodlights that create a glare on neighboring properties in residentially zoned areas. To file a complaint, contact the Code Enforcement Division, 832-7700, or fill out an online complaint at lawrenceks.org/pds/code_violation.

Comments

CreatureComforts 2 years ago

How about just, ya know...talking to your neighbor? Crazy idea, I know...

Boston_Corbett 2 years ago

deec 2 years ago

How about buying a bigger, brighter light and reciprocating?

Kontum1972 2 years ago

hmmm i was wondering when a "GUN" was going to enter the chat....sure enough..it showed up...some how a "GUN" is always a solution....to a problem...

verity 2 years ago

Curtains don't help if you're outside---and yes, some people like to sit on their porch/patio after dark. The city put up a street light in the alley behind where I once lived that was blinding at night---at the request of neighbors further down the street who wanted it for "safety." It allowed questionable people to walk through my yard at night instead of just in the daytime.

Why do people assume that they haven't already talked to their neighbors?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Hell, I just line up my old rusty pick ups along the shared fence! They'll eventually get sick of it and move. (borrow some if you have to)

FireMikeHill 2 years ago

Have Mike Hill go talk to them

g_rock 2 years ago

Look closer. It may be a camera. Just smile and wave.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

They are called curtains, sheesh, or get a pellet gun

Joshua Montgomery 2 years ago

My guess is you should just ask your neighbor. I don't know what has happened to our society that people can't just knock on a neighbor's door and say, "hey, how are the kids? The weather sure is rainy, oh, and can you help me out with this light problem I'm having? Your floodlight is shining in my window."

I bet your neighbor will say, "Gee, kids are fine, growing like weeds. Sure is rainy this week, oh well summer will be here soon. I'd be happy to help you out. Let me look into a motion sensor, or a lower lumen bulb, or, hey, I don't really need that light anyway"

You shouldn't start off by calling the cops unless you already have a bad relationship.

Whodathunk 2 years ago

24/7? It shines in even in the daytime? Dang! That is one bright light.

pizzapete 2 years ago

Maybe you should ask Compton to build a 7 story apartment building between your houses to block out the light. If you're willing to give him your garage and let him park in your diveway he'll probably go for it.

But on a serious note, why don't you just ask the neighbor to use a less powerful light bulb? I use low level lighting outside my house for this very reason.

Richard Payton 2 years ago

Yes, Jesus I see the light and so does Tebow!

agilla 2 years ago

Ron, if your neighbor has a really, really bright outdoor light that shines right on your back bedroom window, curtains don't help. I have been wondering about this same issue since our back-door neighbor installed one of these lights. Believe you me, I have considered all the options on this list, plus sneaking over to the house in the middle of the night with a screwdriver & a monkey wrench to make some "adjustments."

guppypunkhead 2 years ago

Maybe try asking them nicely to re-direct it or to not leave it on all the time and explaining why?

Lynn731 2 years ago

I am so glad I live in the country.

somedude20 2 years ago

What if a UFO is hovering over my house with their brights on, who do I call? I have the Ghostbuster's phone number 555-2368 but I don't think they can help.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

Recently, a new invention has been found to help a great deal with situations like that, and it's already available in many locations.

Curtains.

deec 2 years ago

Your neighbor just needs to build a tennis court in their yard, then they can illuminate away.