Sound Off

Sound Off: Does the city have a light ordinance that would prohibit someone from having an outdoor light on that shines into a neighbor’s house 24-7?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: The city’s development code prohibits spotlights or floodlights that create a glare on neighboring properties in residentially zoned areas. To file a complaint, contact the Code Enforcement Division, 832-7700, or fill out an online complaint at

deec 3 years, 8 months ago

Your neighbor just needs to build a tennis court in their yard, then they can illuminate away.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

Recently, a new invention has been found to help a great deal with situations like that, and it's already available in many locations.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 8 months ago

Sometimes they aren't enough. My neighbors is so bright i've had to put a quilt over my windows on top of the curtains.

asixbury 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm with Ron on this one. Get blackout curtains. They're called this since they do exactly that: block the light. They also save energy on heating and cooling the house. You can buy the actual blackout fabric at Hobby Lobby and attach to your existing curtains, or buy blackout curtains already made.

25 3 years, 8 months ago

The ordinance says that residents are not allowed to have glaring lights, not that others are required to have curtains. Furthermore, we have light blocking blinds and curtains and our neighbor's lights still manage to shine through until the early hours in the morning.

asixbury 3 years, 8 months ago

You obviously don't have thick enough blackout material on your curtains. The thin stuff doesn't work; the thick kind does.

Bob Forer 3 years, 8 months ago

pellet guns tend to be a little more accurate

Bob Forer 3 years, 8 months ago

pellet guns tend to be a little more accurate

Terry Sexton 3 years, 8 months ago

I saw some guys use a slingshot to knock a turkey out of a tree. They ran over it with an EZ Go maintenance cart, threw it in the back & took it home. Said it was gamey so they ended up making some jerky.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

What if a UFO is hovering over my house with their brights on, who do I call? I have the Ghostbuster's phone number 555-2368 but I don't think they can help.

guppypunkhead 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe try asking them nicely to re-direct it or to not leave it on all the time and explaining why?

Angel Gillaspie 3 years, 8 months ago

Ron, if your neighbor has a really, really bright outdoor light that shines right on your back bedroom window, curtains don't help. I have been wondering about this same issue since our back-door neighbor installed one of these lights. Believe you me, I have considered all the options on this list, plus sneaking over to the house in the middle of the night with a screwdriver & a monkey wrench to make some "adjustments."

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 8 months ago

i feel your pain. We made our own adjustments after they wouldn't move theirs. They thought it had broke and bought a bigger, brighter one. fml

asixbury 3 years, 8 months ago

Get blackout curtains. No light can get through them.

25 3 years, 8 months ago

Our neighbors literally installed a dozen of them...on poles almost 20' high

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you could buy some solar panels and power your house 24/7!

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, Jesus I see the light and so does Tebow!

pizzapete 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you should ask Compton to build a 7 story apartment building between your houses to block out the light. If you're willing to give him your garage and let him park in your diveway he'll probably go for it.

But on a serious note, why don't you just ask the neighbor to use a less powerful light bulb? I use low level lighting outside my house for this very reason.

George_Braziller 3 years, 8 months ago

Some neighbors aren't willing to compromise and aren't very "neighborly". Mine has about 40 strings of white Christmas lights on her porch and 20 feet away from my bedroom window. They're on 24/7 and I've repeatedly asked if she could at least turn them off by 11 p.m. or so because even with closing the blinds and the curtains it's still like morning all night.

Nope. Won't turn them off.

Whodathunk 3 years, 8 months ago

24/7? It shines in even in the daytime? Dang! That is one bright light.

Joshua Montgomery 3 years, 8 months ago

My guess is you should just ask your neighbor. I don't know what has happened to our society that people can't just knock on a neighbor's door and say, "hey, how are the kids? The weather sure is rainy, oh, and can you help me out with this light problem I'm having? Your floodlight is shining in my window."

I bet your neighbor will say, "Gee, kids are fine, growing like weeds. Sure is rainy this week, oh well summer will be here soon. I'd be happy to help you out. Let me look into a motion sensor, or a lower lumen bulb, or, hey, I don't really need that light anyway"

You shouldn't start off by calling the cops unless you already have a bad relationship.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Hell, I just line up my old rusty pick ups along the shared fence! They'll eventually get sick of it and move. (borrow some if you have to)

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

Curtains don't help if you're outside---and yes, some people like to sit on their porch/patio after dark. The city put up a street light in the alley behind where I once lived that was blinding at night---at the request of neighbors further down the street who wanted it for "safety." It allowed questionable people to walk through my yard at night instead of just in the daytime.

Why do people assume that they haven't already talked to their neighbors?

gphawk89 3 years, 8 months ago

Same here. The city informed me that they were going to put a light on the power pole that sits right in the rear-center of my backyard, maybe 40-50 feet from my otherwise-dark patio. No one asked for it - the city just thought it was a good idea "for security reasons". No one on either side of the block wanted it so we all complained and the city backed off. I'd have definitely been in the market for a pellet gun.

Kontum1972 3 years, 8 months ago

hmmm i was wondering when a "GUN" was going to enter the chat....sure showed up...some how a "GUN" is always a a problem...

deec 3 years, 8 months ago

How about buying a bigger, brighter light and reciprocating?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 8 months ago

CreatureComforts 3 years, 8 months ago

How about just, ya know...talking to your neighbor? Crazy idea, I know...