Sound Off

Sound Off: Why are a lot of the trees in downtown Lawrence wrapped?

Young maple and gingko trees are wrapped for the winter to avoid damage to the trunk, according to Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager.

Comments

swampyankee 2 years ago

I ride my bicycle to save the planet but I can not put it against a tree irony

Jane 2 years ago

I call BS on that cozborn. My neighbor to the south and I both planted young oak trees in the easement 2 years ago. The city planted two trees in the easement in front of the house to the north. I live on a busy street.

cozborn 2 years ago

The trees are wrapped to prevent winter scald or injury, in the winter the thin barked trees can basically get a "pothole" in the bark though its more of a crack.

I would never park a bike on a tree, its against the rules and the city is cracking down.

No, you cannot plant a tree in the city right of way, for that reason, though the city will plant a tree in your yard if you pester them enough

Jennifer Klopp 2 years ago

LJWorld, can anyone tell me if there is a city code or ordinance prohibiting homeowners from planting trees between the sidewalk and the street curb, which in this case is a span of about 3 feet? These trees are oak trees and are looking very healthy. In a few years these mighty oaks are going to bust thru both the sidewalk and the curb. Thank you.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

I saw a squirrel playing with his nuts, downtown

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

I also wrap my trunk for protection in cold weather.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

Because their bark is worse than their bite

copperdog007 2 years ago

OMG!!! Come on people. The wrapping is to keep critters away from the bark primarily. Secondly it serves to protect the lower bark from damage from various things such as weed trimmers and folks who wish to lock their bicycles to the tree in question.

psycho_theclown 2 years ago

If you have an overpopulation of tree huggers, it damages the trees. Perhaps it's time to thin the herd?

like_n_Lawrence 2 years ago

I saw a city worker putting a bright orange sticker on a bicycle that was on one of those trees with wrapping. I don't know what the wrapping is for, but after a few days went by that bicycle was gone! I learned the hard way it is against law to put your bicycle on a tree. Maybe the wrapping is for protection.

LadyJ 2 years ago

To protect them during the winter and "March madness"

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Because they're so poplar?

Benjamin Roberts 2 years ago