Sound Off

Sound Off: Is it legal to make a left turn on a red light in west Lawrence?

A left turn on a red light is only permitted when traveling on a one-way street, onto another one-way street that is proceeding to the left of such vehicle, after making a complete stop and yielding the right of way to any vehicle approaching said intersection. According to the Lawrence Police Department, there are no intersections like this in Lawrence.

Comments

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Well if it's okay then it should be okay to make a left at a roundabout instead of going all the way around to the right . . . . er not.

geoismeo 1 year, 10 months ago

If you're a bicycle rider you can. You can run stop signs too.

blue73harley 1 year, 10 months ago

The person that asked this question was probably the same one that was entering K10 last night at around 11pm using the west bound E X I T ramp.

pace 1 year, 10 months ago

I once told a New Yorker that kansas traffic is so light that we could turn left at a red light after a full stop. My daughter corrected me and told him the truth. She was right, bad joke.

consumer1 1 year, 10 months ago

Tommorrow's sound off question.

If it is raining outside, should I go into the house? or What do I do if it is raining and I am outside gettting wet?

Richard Payton 1 year, 10 months ago

Honey you don't have to wear that dress tonight... Roxann..

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 10 months ago

Is this a serious question? Are there really people brain dead enough to raise such an nescient, unintelligible inquiry?

whats_going_on 1 year, 10 months ago

legal? no...but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I refuse to wait 5 minutes for a light at 11pm on a Tuesday when I can clearly see no cars in either direction for at LEAST a half mile.

gphawk89 1 year, 10 months ago

"A left turn on a red light is only permitted when traveling on a one-way street, onto another one-way street that is proceeding to the left of such vehicle, after making a complete stop and yielding the right of way to any vehicle approaching said intersection."

True in KS. Not necessarily in other states. Not legal in MO.

Lenette Hamm 1 year, 10 months ago

Seriously? I know (some) drivers in Lawrence are questionable at times, but this takes the cake...

consumer1 1 year, 10 months ago

Did Gilligan retire in Lawrence? or, is this just some passive aggressive person who likes to tattle?

Julie Craig 1 year, 10 months ago

The person who asked this question has probably seen other cars do it. I have. Not just at 4AM either. The stoplight at Wakarusa and K10 by-pass and also the Iowa and by-pass stoplight seem to be popular.

Liberal 1 year, 10 months ago

It seems like some of the lights do not work the way they should. I would agree if you are heading North or South you can sit at intersections forever when there is zero traffic. Some lights will go green but the left turn light does not. The intersection by the Presbyterian Church and the KU commuter lot on 23rd is a perfect example another Inverness and Clinton Parkway. Some of those intersections have some kind of camera device that is supposed to detect cars, i am wondering if those are just a failure vs. sensors in the pavement.

biggunz 1 year, 10 months ago

Unfortunately, the majority of people in Lawrence drive with the same size pea brain as the person who asked this question.

Hooligan_016 1 year, 10 months ago

I've done that once at 19th and Louisiana at like 4am. Sat there through 3 cycles without getting a green left turn light. After seeing absolutely no other vehicles approaching from any direction, I seized the opportunity.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Does it matter what the law is? Seems like most drivers, sometimes myself as well, don't give a spit about the law and do what they want (no cop, no stop, right?). The only group of peeps on the road who are worse than driver of cars are bicyclists. Have a blessed day!

grimpeur 1 year, 10 months ago

Do I really have to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk? What's that white line across the lane at the stop sign for? If I kill someone while using my phone behind the wheel, will my phone, license or car be impounded, and how much do I have to pay to prevent this? How can I ensure that I keep my license after, say, my 5th DUI?

Why is the driver's test so hard?

iron_outlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

It is legal. Only after performing a Chinese fire drill though. I'm sorry that's not very PC of me. Asian Fire Drill. There that's better.

Valkyrie 1 year, 10 months ago

Sitting at a red turn light on a motorcycle which may not have the weight nor mass to trigger the light while waiting for a car to pull behind you to change it is a pain. I believe Kansas law states that a bicycle or motorcycle can turn left on the red light provided there is no on coming traffic and it can be done so in a safe manner. If you are in a car, eh well, your stuck :-(

thuja 1 year, 10 months ago

'Sorry, but who has the time?'

Is the mantra of our world turning into a living hell.

Sure, go ahead and run that red. Who has the time?

ljwhirled 1 year, 10 months ago

At the light on 23rd & Wakarusa going west?

Should be. If you are west bound that is a left-turn-on-green-arrow only light, despite the fact that there is almost zero traffic coming east.

Late at night, you can sit for 3-5 min at that light waiting to turn left when there is no traffic at all in any direction.

Sometimes I cheat and turn on red anyway. Sorry, but who has the time?

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

only in West Lawrence. Everywhere else on Earth. No.

errita 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't believe this even got printed. If you even have to ask that question you shouldn't have a license.

agrabass 1 year, 10 months ago

Ohhhhh, Jesus, Mary, & Joseph help the person that asked that question. That said, I will have another splash & carry on.