Sound Off

Sound Off: Is it legal to park in front of mailboxes? If there is a car parked in front of a mailbox, does the carrier have to stop and get out of the truck to access the mailbox, or can they skip it?

Parking in front of a mailbox is perfectly legal within Lawrence and Douglas County as long as cars are allowed to park along the street in the area. However, park there at your own risk. The U.S. Postal Service does not require employees to exit their vehicles to put mail into obstructed mailboxes. So unless you want to miss out on your mail, or anger the owner of the mailbox you are blocking, find a different parking spot.

Comments

ssteve1 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, they have the right to skip it! And, when this happens, not only can they skip that box but they can skip the next three boxes, then mix up the mail in the next... Who is the moron that thinks up this crap????

Patricia Davis 1 year, 10 months ago

I live in an older neighborhood and our letter carrier has a foot route. I have a rather steep drive and these men and women walk up my drive, usually in good cheer, put the mail in my mailbox and any boxes on the porch. And this is in rain, snow or ice. I think they are terrific.

riverdrifter 1 year, 10 months ago

A friend had this problem with a local neighborhood jerk parking in front of her mailbox. He could've parked a lot of other places, but this mailbox was in the shade. Anyway, when his windshield got smashed for the second time he figured it out.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 10 months ago

Dear Sound Off... How often are mail carriers required to have vision test? As in dose the name & address on the mail match the name & address in the freaking mail box?

I think my mail carrier is watching my all my Netflix movies. Must be seeing well enough for that.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Here's my next Sound Off!

"How do you submit a question to Sound Off!"?

Pywacket 1 year, 10 months ago

Some of the comments here are great examples of why the USPS is in trouble. As their prices rise, their service drops. While there are some considerate carriers who will make an effort, there are many more who are sloppy, careless, inconsiderate, and wouldn't get out of their vehicle for love nor money.

We don't have parking on our semi-rural street (houses are all on at least one acre) but the carriers over the years have ranged from adequate to deplorable when it comes to placing the right mail in the right box. We have frequently had to deliver our neighbors' mail to them and have also gotten lots of mail for people who don't live anywhere near us. In some cases, the recipient had the same last name as us--everything else was different--first name, house number, street name.... Very careless!

When I send packages, I use FedEx or UPS. I'd rather pay more for better service. Most businesses, if they're struggling, try harder. The post office arrogantly seems to try less, then they wonder why they're in a bad situation.

WilkinsMagdalena 1 year, 10 months ago

as Melissa said I'm in shock that any body can get paid $9823 in one month on the internet. did you see this site(Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/xpQfP

a_flock_of_jayhawks 1 year, 10 months ago

I came home after being gone for about a week to find my mailbox stuffed with wet mail and laying in the driveway

Lynn731 1 year, 10 months ago

Mail service is bad enough already. It should be illegal to park in front of a mailbox. Thank you, Lynn

bornon7 1 year, 10 months ago

My mail carrier delivers the wrong mail to us, so my neighbors and I go around deliviering to the correct house. I called about this, and the next time I had mail to go out, and I put my flag up, the carrier left my outgoing mail and put the new mail right on top of them!! I go to a big blue drop off box if I need something sent. I guess I got punished by the carrier.

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

If people leave their cars parked in front of or close to a mailbox overnight, it's not a problem as mail carriers rarely work at night. I asked the Police Dept once about putting out orange cones in front of my house so a moving van would be able to park there in the morning and it seems they can't do that, I think they said only the city could do that. The moving people brought their truck the evening before and I parked my vehicle behind them overnight so there would be room for them to maneuver.

These rants about lazy mail carriers are passing ridiculous. By the time the carrier finds a place to park and walks back to the box, it could take more than a few minutes and multiply that by even a few episodes and you get a significant amount of time. Apparently they are not paid to deliver around a parked vehicle.

In my neighborhood people are polite and considerate and generally make sure not to park where it inconveniences the mail carrier. When someone does, she still delivers the mail and quite often I see her carrying packages up to a house instead of making the person go to the Post Office to pick it up. She deserves credit and appreciation for this, not a smack.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 10 months ago

Obviously there are two sides, but methinks, they are paid to deliver the mail, so they should deliver the mail. The selfish neighbor that parks in front of the mailbox should get a blanket party.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

Mail carriers have to obey the regulations they work under same as everyone else. I do wonder about passing a law stating that it is legal to park in front of a mailbox and then put a regulation is place that says the carrier does not have to deliver the mail in such a case.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Shoot, I'm going to start parking in front of my mailbox so I don't get any more bills. Seems that is all I get in the mail

ozmaster2 1 year, 10 months ago

In Texas, I was told that the mail carrier isn't allowed to get out of the vehicle to deliver mail when a car is blocking the mailbox.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe the U.S. Postal Service can charge a $5 convenience fee to put the mail in your box otherwise, you can pick it off the driveway

guppypunkhead 1 year, 10 months ago

We had a neighbor who would park in front of our mailbox, even though we asked him nicely not to. Our mail was rarely being delivered because of this. So, I called the post office and told them what was going on and that we had made an effort to try to get the person not to park there. The post office people were very nice and left a note for our carrier to please try to deliver our mail anyway, and he did.

budwhysir 1 year, 10 months ago

if yer in front of the box, and the wind might blow my locks, I have to wait till the next day for there is no other way. So if its for bills you are waitin or a post card from vacation, move yer van, or take yer truck, cause if yer parked in front of the box, yer just out a luck

DillonBarnes 1 year, 10 months ago

Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night can stay these messengers about their duty, but I ain't getting out of this seat!

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Is it legal to park your car for weeks in the same spot?