Sound Off

Sound Off: In a crosswalk, when the red hand starts flashing and the seconds countdown begins, is it legal for the pedestrian to enter the crosswalk at that time?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: The Standard Traffic Ordinance for Kansas Cities states for Flashing or Steady Don’t Walk or Upraised Palm signals: “No pedestrian shall start to cross the roadway in the direction of such signal, but any pedestrian who has partially completed his crossing on the ‘walk’ or ‘walking person’ signal shall proceed to a sidewalk or safety island while the ‘don’t walk’ or ‘upraised palm’ signal is showing.”

Comments

hujiko 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh goodness, let the pedestrian bashing commence.

Kat Christian 3 years, 1 month ago

No it isn't a dumb question and I'll explain why. Last evening driving down Mass St. two young gals without stopping a beat just walked right out in the street when the front of my car was no more than a foot from approaching them. I know they saw me and if they would have taken one more step I may have hit one of them, because I certainly did not have enough distance to stop. I was driving less than 20 mph. These young folks just have no regard for safety and common sense. When are they ever going to learn? When someone does it them? Perhaps KU should add that into their yearly orientation to remind these students how to safely proceen on foot through and crosswalk or intersection. Geezeeee!!

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

sunshine_noise considering the topic of this Sound Off question, is it safe to assume that these two young gals started crossing the street while the hand was flashing or the numbers counting down?

if that was the case, then wouldn't that mean that you had a red light and should have been stopping (behind the crosswalk)anyway? Or was this a case of you being in the process of making a turn when they jumped out in front of you?

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 1 month ago

Riddle me this, Wilbur, why can't a father teach the children right from wrong? I use the numbers as a guide to crossing as I know how long it takes me to cross the street. On some intersections the hand flashes red for a full minute before the light changes.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 1 month ago

Now, now, I am a single mom and I taught my daughter when and how to cross the street. I told her not to cross the instant the light changes because sometimes car go though afterwards. So be careful and look around first. Then take a deep breath and run like... you get the picture. Never did I let her do whatever, whenever, wherever, I do know you were not talking about me but just wanted to get the word in. I know what you mean and it breaks my heart to see moms so busy chatting with their girlfriends, on a cell or in person, that the child might as well not be there.

Matt Needham 3 years, 1 month ago

In Lawrence even the Police jaywalk and cross on red. I've been standing with my kids downtown waiting for the green light, and the foot patrol strolls right through a red light. My kids ask me "Why are we the only ones who wait?"

pizzapete 3 years, 1 month ago

I know it's difficult to walk and chew gum at the same time, but what I'd really like to know is, is it legal to do so?

Elaine Elliott 3 years, 1 month ago

It's just like a yellow light for cars. You are not supposed to enter into the intersection when the light is yellow, but cars do. Just like pedestrians enter into the crosswalk when the hand is flashing. The crosswalks aren't that long, so run across when the hand is blinking, just like cars speed up when they see yellow lights.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, that yellow light is only a warning, a suggestion, a guideline, if you will. It is not illegal to enter the intersection on a yellow. It is only illegal to enter the intersection on a red.

Note that I said "enter an intersection." You only have to have the nose of the car past the plane of the intersection before the light turns red. Once you have a little in, you can proceed through.

Now the definition of what constitutes the boundary intersection varies. If there is a well-marked stop line, it's easy -- that's it. is a crosswalk, the it's the side of the crosswalk furthers from the center of the cross street. But depending on the intersection, it could be an extension of the curb lines of the cross street.

Y'all be careful now, ya hear?

(Source is Standard Traffic Ordinances for Kansas Cities. I'd post a link, but i looked it up, so if you care, you can, too.)

Elaine Elliott 3 years, 1 month ago

Topeka's ordinance says: "Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal shall stop before entering the nearest crosswalk at the intersection, or if none, at a clearly marked stop line, or if none, then before entering the intersection. Any driver of any vehicle who enters such crosswalk, or if none, such clearly marked stop line, or if none, such intersection, while facing a steady yellow signal and thereupon turns or proceeds through the intersection, during which time the signal changes to red prior to such vehicle completely clearing the intersection, shall be guilty of a yellow light violation.". Cjonline

TRAFFIC SIGNALS YELLOW—A yellow signal light warns you that the red signal is about to appear. When you see the yellow light, you should stop, if you can do so safely. If you can't stop, look out for vehicles that may enter the intersection when the light changes.

You are correct, it's not illegal but if it turns red while in the intersection, it becomes illegal. I wonder why crosswalks are not treated the same way?