Sound Off

Sound Off: I saw a recent story about the high number of deaths in another state from traffic accidents involving deer, among other animals. How common are vehicle fatalities involving animals in Kansas?

According to data provided by the Kansas Department of Transportation, there were just two fatality accidents in the state from collisions with animals in 2011. Since 2002, the state has averaged about four such deaths per year.

Comments

FarneyMac 2 years, 5 months ago

At some point, the poor, old, and stupid who don't know how to use Google will die. At that point, the LJW will have lost the last vestiges of its customer base.

What then, Simons? The last gasps of pandering to the non-internet crowd will end soon. You've already sold off the profitable arms of the World Company. The end game of the failure of the Lawrence Journal-World will be fun to watch, as long as it means the Simons family will finally suffer.

Bassetlover 2 years, 5 months ago

What a despicable and mean-spirited comment to make. Ironic that as much hate that you spew for the Simons, you certainly enjoy the product they provide every day for your enjoyment.

catchagrenade 2 years, 5 months ago

The question this time , I think, is not as stupid as previous ones.

*It is local and relevant (I had a dear-sighting along Clinton Parkway around 6pm today and it made me wonder about deer-related fatalities, too).

*It highlights something unique about Kansas (I was actually surprised that there were not that many deer-related accidents).

*It provokes discussion and thought (Should the City of Lawrence post "Dear-crossing" signs around areas where there were reported sightings?).

catchagrenade 2 years, 5 months ago

Dear grammar police, I am sorry that dear in lines 4 and 6 should have been deer. Yours dearly, Deer-sighter

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

Not all accidents need to prove fatal to matter. A former Douglas County sheriff was quoted a few years as saying that nearly sixty percent of traffic accidents in the county involved deer.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Whatever prompted the first post in this series? May be true or false but the forum is inappropriate

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

"I won't even touch on the elitism directed towards those that do not own a computer for whatever reason. We'll just chalk that up to typical Lawrecian snobbery."

Irony at it's best.

jjinks 2 years, 5 months ago

I was in Georgia a while back on I-75 and they had a fence tall enough that it couldn't be jumped, seems like a good idea to me, wonder why it's not everywhere?

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

Probably because of the cost. That area may have had a very heavy deer population.

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 5 months ago

I am just glad we do not have moose in Kansas.

brutus 2 years, 5 months ago

That's to keep the moose and elk population down.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 5 months ago

During my recent blessed escape from the crazed regions of KS I was astounded to see the amount of roadkill on the highways. It was on a weekend--- but still. Plenty of animals are getting smeared--don't know about drivers.

Budgets_Smudgets 2 years, 5 months ago

The best way to increase deer-car accidents is install some of those magical deer whistles on all bumpers. ha ha.