Sound Off

Sound Off: We often see students rush the floor after defeating Kansas University in basketball. When is the last time KU students rushed the floor?

The last time KU students rushed the floor actually wasn’t at home. KU fans rushed the floor after an 82-80 victory over No. 1 Florida on Nov. 25, 2006. That game was at the Las Vegas Invitational at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. As far as home games go, about 150 KU students rushed the court following KU’s 90-87 victory over No. 3 Texas on Jan. 28, 2003.

Comments

newtongirl 3 years, 1 month ago

And the other 16,150 chanted, "Get-off-the-court!! Get-off-the-court!!". I remember that. We were livid.

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

Yep, I was there too for that one. Embarrassing.

littlexav 3 years, 1 month ago

Aw, it was my first year at KU and the first time I'd ever seen the fans rush the court. My camping group always ended up close to the floor behind the KU players, and I wanted to run down there so bad! But one of the sophomores who lived on my floor wouldn't let me. "We don't do that." :-)

introversion 3 years, 1 month ago

Ok, so here's another question- I know we (as in the jayhawk nation) are not generally court-rushers, but what if we can pull off this 8th big 12 championship... would that be rush-worthy?

Daniel Speicher 3 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely NOT! Rushing the court is for teams who don't expect to win. As a Jayhawk fan we expect to win every basketball game every time. Period. Never a reason to rush the court. Ever.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

The only things rush-worthy are Mass. St & Jayhawk Blvd.after a Nat'l title. That Channel 6 building cam showed it after the last one. It went from nobody in the street to everybody in the street in pretty short order.

Michael Bennett 3 years, 1 month ago

We are Kansas. We do NOT rush the court. Rushing the court is for major upsets. We expect to win every game at AFH. Therefore, never an upset.

Joe Blackford II 3 years, 1 month ago

The last time KU students rushed the floor . . . . was as they passed out. Same as over here at KSU.

jaywalker 3 years, 1 month ago

There was a year in the mid '80's when we the football team (ranked 99th) beat Oklahoma (ranked 2nd) and we rushed the field, took down the goalposts, and tossed 'em in Potters Lake. I believe the very next weekend, the 'Hawks took on Memphis at AFH. We were unranked, they were #3 with a couple of high profile 7 footers. No one made a move toward the court after the upset. And that's how it should be.

gphawk89 3 years, 1 month ago

Remember that one well. Given the odds, hadn't planned to go to the game. I turned on the radio to listen early in the 4th quarter and immediately ran about a mile to the stadium to catch the last five minutes of play. That was the most excitement I've ever seen at the stadium. Security tried to keep the crowd away from the goalposts for a very short time, but gave up and let it happen when the crowd swelled. Good memories...

jaywalker 3 years, 1 month ago

I was one of the drunk morons who decided it was a good idea to jump in the lake after we tossed the goalposts in! Luckily I had some friends at JRP so I could get a hot shower; not a wise move, though.

avoice 3 years, 1 month ago

Good timing for this topic, because this Saturday will be an excellent time to update the floor-rushing statistic.

Brent Cagle 3 years, 1 month ago

MU will be the higher-ranked team, and favored to win. If they beat us and storm the court, that will be truly pathetic.

Clara Westphal 3 years, 1 month ago

Rushing the court is too dangerous. Case in point is the referee who was injured after the Iowa State game.

Laura Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

Agreeing with several comments above. You rush the floor/field when you're not expected to win. We're expected to win every game at the Fieldhouse. It doesn't matter if we're unranked and beat #1 or beat Missouri by forty points.

Teams that rush the floor are ones that haven't won in a while, have just beaten a rival they've lost to for x number of years in a row, have been underdogs for a long time. That is not KU basketball, not, at least since the early 1980s.

jaywalker 3 years, 1 month ago

Obnoxious is storming the court and seriously injuring a referee or anyone else. Feeling your program is above such is pride and self-awareness, not obnoxious.

Daniel Speicher 3 years, 1 month ago

What's REALLY obnoxious is fans who don't understand tradition and class... You know... Like, oh say... Rushing the court when you are one of the most storied basketball programs in the nation with the second highest number of wins. That, in point of fact, would be obnoxious.

mom_of_three 3 years, 1 month ago

i have seen it in football, but never in basketball. (except for those who watched the national championship in 2008 at allen fieldhouse.).
We don't need to do it in basketball. We ARE the ones everyone wants to beat.

bad_dog 3 years, 1 month ago

Not to say the program couldn't slip-anything is possible. Given however, KU's involvement in and dominance of the sport for more than a century I'd suggest you don't hold your breath on either count.

shotgun 3 years, 1 month ago

Jayhawks new slogan. "We are "Self" Righteous!"