Sound Off

Sound Off: Why do some traffic lights have longer yellows than others?

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this answer: The length of time for a “yellow” and the associated “all-red” signal indications at a traffic signal are determined using a nationally accepted formula that takes into consideration the posted speed limit and the width of the intersection being crossing. The “yellow” time usually varies between three and five seconds.

Comments

oneflewover 2 years, 11 months ago

I think the answer to this question is fairly obvious, however I do have one complaint on this issue. The light at the bypass and Wakarusa is flat out dangerous. A longer yellow would help, however keep in mind there are large trucks traveling at 65mph going through this intersection. I know from experience driving (legal) loaded trucks through here that the margin is thin and easily misjudged. If one's trailer brakes decide not to work, they are going to plow right through. Stop lights on 55mph+ roads are not safe.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Inattentive driving is the cause of most accidents, not stop lights (or yellow). Drive like you are the best driver out there, anticipate others to make mistakes, assume nothing.

Blessed4x 2 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely. When my dad was teaching me to drive he told to assume that every other driver out there is the worst driver in the world and plan accordingly, drive defensively. It's that simple. Assume the other guy is an idiot and you'll be fine. That's a good general life bit of advice.

Ragingbear 2 years, 11 months ago

The length of time a light is yellow is supposed to be standardized to prevent "traps'. Anything other than the legal, listed time is illegal.

Of course, it's not like the LPD actually do their job and ticket those that run red lights. They are too busy using 6 cop cars to harass a homeless person.

gsxr600 2 years, 11 months ago

Sound off: Why do people always blow through turning lane red lights at north/southbound Iowa at 23rd? I travel through there every morning to work and at least 1-5 cars always go through after the light turns red. I'm guessing it's because they can get away with it. Lack of enforcement will get someone killed there eventually.

littlexav 2 years, 11 months ago

East/West at that intersection is just as bad...

Grammaton 2 years, 11 months ago

I've seen that, too, along with hardly anyone stopping at the intersection of 9th and New York.

cjeter 2 years, 11 months ago

GSX I'm sure some of it is that they have gotten away with it. My guess at the real reason is that light can take like 5 minutes and a couple of cycles to get through if there is much traffic. That hole intersection is a problem

MapMadeMind 2 years, 11 months ago

That intersection is a "hole". True story.

JackMcKee 2 years, 11 months ago

What kind of person notices/thinks about these things?