Sound Off

Sound Off: Why is the stoplight at the junction of U.S. Highways 24-40 and 24-59 not on a sensor? It’s not even close to other lights with which it would need to be coordinated. I’ve sat there for what seems like endless minutes early on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I was the only car within sight for the entire time.

The stoplight at that junction is on a sensor, according to David Woosley, traffic engineer for the city of Lawrence. To report a malfunction, call the traffic engineering department at 832-3021.

Comments

KS 3 years, 4 months ago

And I'm sure you folks can do a better job. Any experience on that resume?

KS 3 years, 4 months ago

I forgot! There is another way to solve that problem. Put in a roundabout! That should draw some fire, They save time and gas, as well as electricty and maintenance on signals.

lurn 3 years, 4 months ago

A few weeks ago the light at 6th and Wakarusa was out for anyone going north. The rest of the lights went through rotation but the north bound stayed red. We called the police dispatch and was informed that all city traffic signal repairs have been "outsourced" . Does anyone know if this is true?

skinny 3 years, 4 months ago

Samething at Clinton Parkway and Inverness Dr. You can sit on Inverness Drive for two minutes before the light will change and there is not one car on Clinton Parkway!

iron_outlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

I drive that way to work every day. There is a large sensor mounted to the top of the stop light arm. It regularly changes for me before I'm even at a complete stop. I too travel through on weekend mornings for work so that would have nothing to do with wait times either. I'm guessing the problem lies with the color car you drive and the stop light sensor hating that color. Yep, that's it, a bigoted stop light!

oldvet 3 years, 4 months ago

When sitting at a long stoplight in the early hours, with no other traffic in site from either side or behind/before, proceed with caution after being confident of the lack of law enforcement in waiting.

littlexav 3 years, 4 months ago

Amen. I do this with left-on-green-only lights all the time. No traffic, no cops? No problem.

Brian Hall 3 years, 4 months ago

Exactly. Assuming they are coming from 24-40, they could turn left onto County Road 9 which becomes North 7th Street and take that to Locust Street which would lead them to North 2nd Street.

Directions brought to you by someone not afraid to drive through North Lawrence.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 4 months ago

It always cracks me up when folks are afraid to come to North Lawrence. Its one of the quieter parts of town.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

North Lawrence does have most of the strip clubs so it can't be too scary for people to, um, come there

Sheryl Wiggins 3 years, 4 months ago

amen--although I kind of like some being afraid to drive through north Lawrence, less traffic for me to deal with.

Hooligan_016 3 years, 4 months ago

Westbound at 19th and Louisiana ... I really don't understand why there can't be a "caution" left turn arrow after say 9pm. A very silly light.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 4 months ago

I think they're referring to the light up north at TeePee Junction.

kuhusker 3 years, 4 months ago

15th and Wakarusa is the same way. After 10 PM if you are crossing Wakarusa (on 15th) going west to east, the light never changes. You end up having to run the red.

big_john 3 years, 4 months ago

Just play like your riding a bike, if approaching and no cars are coming run through the red light.

cobaltblue 3 years, 4 months ago

I always keep reading material in my car. Amazing how many books and magazines you can read while waiting at stop lights.