Sound Off

Sound Off: I understand there is a street in Lawrence named Sawhill, and I was wondering who it was named for.

Megan Gilliland, communications manager for the city, provided this answer: Developers propose street names through the subdivision plat process. The city reviews the naming suggestions to make sure the name does not exist somewhere else in the city but developers generally do not provide an explanation for street name choices.

Comments

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

One of my favs is Havronne Way. I never got my own way. I don't know why she should.

Sarah St. John 2 years, 11 months ago

I used to live on Havrone Way (one N) back when they were apartments and not condos as they are now A lot of my friends referred to it as "have-her-own-way." Also, I lived in Apartment H-2 which my friends called "Hydrogen House." Good times. :-) I see my old Hydrogen House is up for sale now!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the people that live on High Street in Topeka?

Tony Kisner 2 years, 11 months ago

I live near "Easy Street" - as I was walking my dog a driver asked how to get to "Easy Street". It was a golden set up for a one liner, he looked serious so I let it go.

irvan moore 2 years, 11 months ago

thans DIST for going to the effort the city and reporter didn't

Brian Hall 2 years, 11 months ago

I've also read in numerous books about Lawrence that Kanza, Douglas, Robinson, Plymouth and New Boston (in the same subdevelopment) were also some of the names they considered calling Lawrence before Lawrence was ultimately chosen.

Also of note, another name chosen: Yankeetown.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 11 months ago

High Drive, near campus...accurately named

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 11 months ago

High Drive, near campus...accurately named

Ginny Hedges 2 years, 11 months ago

DIST - I appreciate the info. you gave. It was very interesting. I learned something new today because of your posting. Thanks!

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't know where Sawhill Drive is in Lawrence. I'm sure it was named for Clarence Sawhill who was a music student at Bethany Colleg in Lindsborg. In 1933, Neal Wherry, principal at Lawrence Memorial High School (14th and Mass.) convinced Sawhill to come to Lawrence to be band director at LMHS, leaving a similar post at Norton, Kansas. After many years in Lawrence, Sawhill left to become band director at both University of Southern California and then at UCLA for 20 years. From what I understand, Sawhill was widely respected throughout the United States. I remember my parents (who had attended LMHS during Sawhill's tenure) speaking highly of his accomplisments. Neal Wherry was principal at Lawrence High School when I attended in the 1950's, he probably retired sometime in the 1960's.

More than you want to know!, I appologize! Please tell me where Sawhill Drive is in the City!

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Did-I-Say; Oops!, I missed you forward on Sawhill when I read the story and you posting! Sorry, I'll blame it on watching too much football and basketball yesterday!

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Another: Jasu Drive, South of 23rd and Alabama: Name is a contraction of the names of son and daughter of developer Ole Stinson who built houses in Lawrence in the 1950's and later. Named for Jaydee (son) and Sue (daughter) who were students at LHS is the 1950's.

Sarah St. John 2 years, 11 months ago

I have always wondered about that one. Thank you!!

Bassetlover 2 years, 11 months ago

Feel sorry for our friends living on a street spelled incorrectly---Bently Drive should be spelled Bentley. The developer obviously didn't use Spell Check. And City Hall didn't catch it either.

kernal 2 years, 11 months ago

Another one that is misspelled is Morning Dove Ct.. The correct spellingwould be Mourning Dove Ct.

justmememe 2 years, 11 months ago

My favorite will always be Four Wheel Drive.

MISTERTibbs 2 years, 11 months ago

"The city reviews the naming suggestions to make sure the name does not exist somewhere else in the city"

So I wonder what city worker screwed up in regards to Wagon Wheel given there are two of them that are obviously unrelated in any way shape or form. It's bad enough to have multiple segments of streets like Crestline and Lawrence Ave, but at least they could be connected if the streets were through streets.