Sound Off

Sound off: What is USD 497’s policy on teachers espousing their personal political and religious beliefs in class? My daughter has been inundated with anti-Republican and anti-Catholic sentiments lately.

The school board’s policies “state that professional employees and classified staff members ‘shall not use school time, school property or school equipment for the purpose of furthering the interests of any political party, the campaign of any political candidate or the advocacy of any political issue,’” said Julie Boyle, the district’s director of communications. In addition, she said, another policy says, in part: “When religion is included in the curriculum, the focus shall be on the study of what people believe, but must not be on teaching a student what to believe. The purpose is to educate, not convert. The instruction is academic, not devotional or preferential.” Boyle asked anyone with concerns about whether employees are adhering to policies to contact their child’s principal. USD 497’s Board Policy Manual is at usd497.org/AboutUs/SchoolBoard/ on the district’s website.

Comments

lawrenceguy40 2 years, 9 months ago

USD 497 exists solely to indoctrinate our children in the liberal philosophy.

If your child comes home stating that s/he never needs to work again and that barry o will pay his gas bills, you know where he got it. Most teachers are bums whose only real occupation is whining and teaching YOUR kids to be bums like them.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 9 months ago

Your comment is completely unfounded. Do you have proof of that claim? I have known teachers all my life and was one, and never have espoused my religion to anyone,. My first teaching job was at a Catholic School. Those students didn't know what religion I was nor did I espouse my political preference. I have never known anyother teacher to do that. Bring us proof of your wild and unconscientable statement.

somebodynew 2 years, 9 months ago

W_S - you obviously have never read any of LG40's "posts". All he does is throw out wild, unsubstantiated statements meant to inflame people. There are no facts when he is involved. I am really surprized he couldn't tie it to a conspiracy within the LPD on this one.

But, it is early yet, I am sure there is more coming.

And if your moniker is accurate - Thank You, and also for being a teacher, both important and undervalued.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

Unfounded statements and assumptions once again. Perhaps your idea of conservative is biased. There certainly are conservative teachers who teach in the Lawrence school district. I'm beginning to wonder if you even live in Lawrence.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, but I know a number of conservative teachers (some of them incredibly so). Most of them have taught at their schools for years. Shall we bet that we simply don't know the same people? Or at least that you not know them well enough to know what their personal opinions are about things?

Yours is a common "logical fallacy"...you've confused correlation with causation: "One year one person expressed a conservative opinion. The next year that person was laid off...it "must" be because she expressed that conservative opinion".

Frankly, for you to legitimately state this as possible fact, not just as biased personal opinion, you have to at least have the answers to several other necessary questions. Was she the ONLY person laid off? If not, did you check out the political persuasions of the other people laid off? Assuming you did, were they all or almost all conservatives? Did you eliminate other possible reasons, such as lack of tenure or less length of service than others?

If you can't answer all those questions with a resounding "yes!", then your argument goes out the window as yet another logical fallacy based on personal bias. She was your friend. You believed she was an excellent teacher...she may very well have been. But since when has being an excellent teacher been sufficient protection, in and of itself, against layoffs???

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

I think it's really good to hear from differing points of view. How on earth do you learn anything if all you hear are things that support what you already believe???

Frankly, I am sick and tired of political accusations of "flip-flopping" and "untrustworthy" directed at people...not necessarily even people I support...when ALL they have done is change their mind!!

We should want people who are willing to consider other people's opinions. We should want people who are willing to admit "I was wrong". Because sometimes those "other people's opinions" they listen to and are convinced by are OURS.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

“The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible” - Bertrand Russell (English Logician and Philosopher 1872-1970)

Lee Eldridge 2 years, 9 months ago

It isn't rampant, but it happens. I remember my oldest daughter being told by a teacher that if Dole was elected president over Clinton (this was obviously '96) that he'd take away all the funding for the schools. That was the most outrageous thing that's happened. Most of it is much more subtle than this. What you need to do is teach your children early critical thinking, and to not inherently believe everything they're told.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

And that includes not inherently believing every liberal thing they are told, too. Whether folks like it or not, no one side has a monopoly on being right. And none of us know everything about everything :-)

Critical thinking is a wonderful thing (as is reading for comprehension). I wish more people had learned how to do it...but human beings simply don't operate that way automatically.

ScottyMac 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, as a matter of fact, in 1996 Bob Dole campaigned on cutting all federal funding for public schools. In his convention speech in San Diego, he attacked schoolteachers (by implying they were bankrupt losers), and vowed to destroy the Department of Education, eliminating its entire $28 billion budget. He then bragged about his promise to cut college financial aid.

I love how the truth has become "liberal indoctrination. " Critical thinking indeed!

scott3460 2 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps a field of right wing loons as the republican party's Presidential candidates has something to do with the discussion that is going on. How sad that the daughter is apparently such a fully indoctrinated ditto head.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 9 months ago

Translation-- I don't think my kid is getting enough pro-Republican and pro-Catholic propaganda at school.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

maybe part of the problem is Brownback IS trying to destroy our public schools.

blogme 2 years, 9 months ago

And we have yet another over the top liberal response. But this is the truth in liberal land! Don't forget Brownback as a republican also wants to poison the water, make your grandparents have to eat dog food because that's all they can afford to eat after buying their medications, and wants to kill the planet with all that carbon dioxide from burning coal to supply the growing demand for energy. Sheesh, how come he hasn't been thrown in jail already???

Greg Cooper 2 years, 9 months ago

Cool! Now I can add all those things to my list of REAL issues that Brownback/Koch has brought to the state! After all, we "liberals" don't have to have only facts to complain about, we can also badger the governor about made-up stuff.

O, my bad---that's already being taken care of by the Republicnas. Sorry.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

OMG, that brought back a memory I had long forgotten. An elderly neighbor lady once told me she bought tuna flavored canned cat food because it was cheaper than real tuna.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

I have to laugh because when I was in elementary school, a teacher had the class join the John Birch Society. I come from a very conservative background, but what I observed and experienced as I grew up converted me to a liberal. Conversely, I have friends raised by liberal parents, who are conservatives

Careful what you wish for!

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 9 months ago

Contact the principal?

Pshaw! Everyone knows the solution is to call into the local paper. And if you don't have time for that, then post your complaint anonymously on that paper's website.

But actually contact the principal? What an outrageous suggestion.

cowboy 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds to me like the students are simply reading current events. The republicans are doing something completely moronic on a daily basis and the Catholics have lost touch with the modern world and their congregation.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

seen the latest polls? it's not looking good for republicans. It's going to get ugly.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

It already is ugly. A bona fide three ring circus. I'd be embarrassed to be a Republican right now. Is that the best they have to offer? ROFLMAO. They are going to continue to rip each other to shreds and bankrupt their treasuries. Regardless of the winner, Obama is going to have a cakewalk in November.

Armored_One 2 years, 9 months ago

Unless your child is attending a religious school, exactly why should there be ANY religion in school?

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

Well... discussing the Bill of Rights comes to mind.

Armored_One 2 years, 9 months ago

That would be a discussion of one of the rights, not actual religion. Nice try, but you missed the mark.

chocolateplease 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't expect my kid to live under a rock when they're at school; particularly by the time they are in highschool. Teachers are human beings with political and religious views, and for some of them to ocassionally reveal those views or even make comments is fine. The fact is that many classes will have discussions about current events (e.g. the debate on whether Catholic employers need to provide health insurance that includes coverage for contraception), and lots of kids will be sharing their views, with teachers sometimes showing theirs as well. Also, as a parent I would never assume that my kid was able to provide a 100% accurate picture of what was being represented in the classroom.

SinoHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

It was sometimes bad at LHS for me, but overall not quite the horror story that some experience in some districts. Looking back, elementary school had a lot of the elements of indoctrination, but nothing overt enough for me to understand at the time. I 100% flat-out promise that me being a conservative cost me at least 1 A in High School, but it has probably made me a better person, as it motivated me to work harder.

Extremely liberal teacher != bad teacher (just like the opposite), but having an overwhelmingly liberal faculty overall takes its toll. One of my worst teachers was a closet-conservative, though.

A good principal and good administrators can help alleviate some of the problems of feeling ostracized.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, reality does have a Liberal bias...

Aiko 2 years, 9 months ago

I grew up in Texas and in 2nd grade we were all giving assignments to color a page that read "Viva La Raza" to take home. When I took these home my parents were not too happy.

frank mcguinness 2 years, 9 months ago

"Conservative Republican Teacher" Since when do Republicans or even Conservatives give a rats tail about education?

There are NO policies being offered by Republicans that demonstrate that they care even remotely about education.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

You haven't seen Santorum's rant on Obama being a "snob" because he would like for every American child to have the option of going to college? Or how all the universities are indoctrinating our children to the "liberal" way of thinking?I'm wondering what happened to his "indoctrination" since he has a college degree himself.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

I am getting sick and tired of allegations of Christian bashing, Catholic bashing and conservative bashing, etc. We live in conservative times. The religious right never had it better. Witness how well Santorum is doing. Allegations of that type, as well as the claims of forced liberal indoctrination at State Universities, is the creation of the intellectually dishonest right wing pundits, and their buddies at Faux News.

Give it a rest, will ya. It's old hat, and it's nonsense.

blogme 2 years, 9 months ago

You must not be very old Sycho as you have no historical perspective. Catholic was not nearly as bad of a word in the 50's as it is today. And to espouse they've never had it better? Talk about non-sense! Same with the words Christian and conservative. Even libs and/or non-religious people would have respect back then.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

What???

Should we assume that you didn't live (well, other than as a child) through the 50s like some of the rest of us?

It was a very different time than you apparently imagine.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

You're the one who needs an historical perspective. Remember JFK? 1960 Presidential election? Ring a bell? Until then, a Roman Catholic had never run for President, and political pundits questioned whether the American people would elect a Catholic In one of JFK's most famous speeches, he specifically addressed the issue and stated he would respect the separation of Church and State and that the Vatican would have absolutely no influence at all over the White House. The speech went over quite well. And he was elected.

Santorum is Roman Catholic. And his religion is irrevelant, expect to the extent that unlike JFK, many people fear Santorum wants to transform American into a theocracy. And those who fear understand and respect the Constitution.

Blogme, facts please. Your naked assertions won't cut it.

Without supporting evidence, there is no use reason to give you the time of day;.

I have given my example. Now, time for your counter evidence. If you got it show it. And if you don't show it, it proves you simply don't got it.

deec 2 years, 9 months ago

Alfred Smith was the first Catholic to run for president, in1928.

Lane Signal 2 years, 9 months ago

But they will not stop because what they are doing works. The religious right screams and they move their agenda forward. It's no use telling them to stop while we reward their effort with more and more conservative reporting from traditionally fairly objective sources. It's no use calling them cry babies when they see more and more legislation being pushed supporting their agenda. The right in general (religious or otherwise) is seeing great results from distortion, exaggeration, hyperbole and sheer volume. This is true at the local level with our public schools, at the state level with legislation designed to allow unfettered discrimination against those the religious right does not like, and at the national level. Crazy, irrational and loud works. It just works. I don't claim the left is not trying to do this sometimes as well, but it's working better for the right. I think on the left, this approach is often halfhearted, but the right really commits to crazy.

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

this has been going on for decades in the lawrence schools.....i recall one of my kids having to bite their lip, because, as the teacher put it in so many words, 'if you don't believe what i believe (liberal thinking) by the end of the semester, you'll fail my class.' this was in the 1980's.

she too, was an anti-christian/catholic bigot

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

Unadulterated nonsense. I went through the Lawrence school system and most of the teachers were religious conservatives.

You spout such garbage. Don't you think if your allegations were true there would have been a major league law suit filed by one of many available and willing conservative think tanks.

Cut the BS. It's patently false, and it's insulting if you expect an intelligent person to believe such nonsense.

Laura Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

I went through the Lawrence school system, too, and I couldn't tell you the political or religious bent of any of my teachers unless I knew them in a setting outside of school (example, I knew a teacher who went to my church).

Heck, I went to a Protestant school in Ireland for a year and don't know for a fact that my teacher was a Protestant!

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

no, it is NOT unadulterated nonsense. perhaps you should open your mind and your eyes. it is not patently false. you must not very smart.

Armored_One 2 years, 9 months ago

And with no evidence, you are to be taken at face value why exactly?

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

You don't think that maybe your kid exaggerated a wee bit??? I mean, surely I'm not the only parent whose kid blew things out of proportion on occasion? To whom hyperbole and grandiosity were ways of speaking?

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

perhaps the school district needs to give teachers a mandatory refresher course on school policies. frankly i am surprised this is still going on, unchecked for decades.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 9 months ago

First of all, you don't kow it's going on at all, unless you attend school there. Secondly, the teachers are given a manual, and many days of "in-service" education yearly just to make sure this kind of thing does not happen. Thirdly, the report by the kid may or may not reflect reality in the situation, and may have simply been a teaching "moment" from which the kid learned nothing. Fourth, I find it hard to believe, after growing up as a teacher's/administrators kid, that the administration would allow simple bias to exist in the classroom without investigation and truth-finding. And, finally, of what "decades" do you speak? Your assertion or belief that "this is still going on" needs some documentation not to sound empty and false.

Gedanken 2 years, 9 months ago

Contact the teacher first. Get their side of the story. It is rarely so cut and dry when it comes to what people say and what young minds perceive. If you aren't happy with that response, then go to the principal of the school. If you don't do this - then you won't be taken seriously because you didn't follow generally accepted protocol for handling class room issues.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

What you are suggesting be done is just as ridiculous as doing some research before posting here.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 9 months ago

Yup. Like you say, Ron (and Gedanken), acting like an intelligent, mature adult is just horrible, I say! Horrible! The J-W needs to ban anyone who has the audacity to even suggest something like that :-)

Lane Signal 2 years, 9 months ago

In our current society, the line between fact and opinion does not really exist anymore. People spout distorted political rhetoric as fact. They repeat political talking points as fact because they saw it on the "news". Many also will reject an obvious and well supported fact as propaganda if it does not fit well with their political convictions. I imagine many teachers have fallen into this trap as well. (I don't claim to be immune from this phenomenon either.) But even if a teacher is able to approach politics objectively, I don't think it will be seen that way. I think most students who think they are politically aware are just choosing which talking points to believe in. In a state where teachers are often required to teach fiction as fact for political reasons (e.g. creationism must be taught as Science), it does not seem like teachers can win on this issue not matter what they do.

FlintHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

One of the best posts in this thread. Repeat any lie often enough, and people believe, even those who are actually opposed to whatever ideology the lie is promoting. We should all be saddened, and angry, at the lack of critical thinking, mindless repetition of rumor and the hate that substitutes for discussion, conversation or debate.

As for the person who stated that there was less prejudice against Catholics in the '50s than now — rubbish! I was a student in Catholic schools (elementary and high school) in those good old days. My peers and I experienced a life's worth of hatred, fear and prejudice against us because of our religion. Do you not remember what an issue religion was for JFK? "The Pope is going to rule America!!!!!!!!!" Of course, at the same time, the nuns were blatantly hating on several Protestant religions, the Northern Irish (especially those who dared to wear orange on St. Pat's day), the Masons, and on and on. So ingrained was that bigotry that I still have to exert my now-more-knowledgeable will to beat back that old stuff.

nomorebobsplease 2 years, 9 months ago

I have 2 kids at LHS right now. I am one of those parents who goes to PT conferences and to events that my children are associated with, and I've met a few teachers whom I would consider conservative, perhaps even radically so. I have heard from my kids about some of the more conservative leanings of a couple of the teachers, but that's OK. It was a conversation starter for the two of us. I WANT my kids to learn to think for themselves. I want them to be able to engage in philosophical debate and to be able to figure out where they stand on issues, even if their viewpoints are different than mine. You know, to actually USE the brain that GOD gave them.

xyz 2 years, 9 months ago

My 1:59 post was in response to Nomorebobs:

Right on! Keep up the good work with your kids!!

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

brainwashing children is a parents right, how dare the schools interfere and give a kid another point of view

xyz 2 years, 9 months ago

Right on! Keep up the good work with your kids!!

overthemoon 2 years, 9 months ago

I suspect that the school is engaged in teaching about reality. That's a mighty liberal area according to people hanging off the right wing cliff.

tomatogrower 2 years, 9 months ago

Well teachers do teach kids to be nice to each other and share and help each other out. They teach about the history of our country that evolved to include rights for all people, not just white, property owing males. They also teach them to ask questions and wonder about the world, instead of following a lock step agenda. I guess that's pretty liberal.

mdab1609 2 years, 9 months ago

(I think) This question is asking what is USD 497's policy on teachers TELLING students what to believe and what not to believe. This question is not asking if teachers are allowed to discuss beliefs, teach beliefs, or share their own personal beliefs. This is not a demand that all the teachers in USD 497 be Republican and Catholic. If a teacher told their class that all Democrats lie or that all Atheists are misguided, then I would disagree with that teacher's attempts at indoctrination.

acg 2 years, 9 months ago

Good, maybe your daughter will learn something. Something besides how to blindly follow something without question. Kind of like one is supposed to do with their religion or their political party. Stop being sheep!

mdab1609 2 years, 9 months ago

This question is not saying that teachers should not discuss politics or religions. It is asking what is USD 497's policy on teachers SAYING what to believe/teachers making derogatory remarks about certain beliefs.

Sheesh. It seems like some people are not comprehending the question...

Elaine Elliott 2 years, 9 months ago

My nephew's teacher told him God makes the clouds and makes it rain. That was at an elementary school here in Lawrence. We explained to him that some people believe that but then explained the water cycle to him. Sounds pretty atheistic and liberal, evil USD 497.

Nikki May 2 years, 9 months ago

I have two children in the Lawrence Public School system. The oldest one is in middle school now, so that's as far as my personal experience goes. I know which church a few of the teachers go to. I know some political leanings of some of the teachers. However, I haven't really had an issue either way. Recently, I've heard that the middle schoolers are required to do the pledge of allegiance, with one teacher very adamant that they will do it. Another teacher at that school chooses many Christian songs for the class to sing. That same teacher made a big deal at the winter concert to say, "Merry Christmas - If I can even say that any more." AFTER singing 80% Christmas (mostly religious) music. The music choice really didn't bother me, because they weren't discussing the MEANING of the songs. They were just singing pretty songs. I believe that the teacher chose them for both reasons, but the same teacher lets them sing pop songs as well (which I actually find worse!)

Anyway, I'm willing to bet it's not as bad as the author implies. It probably is more of a current event type thing. If you send your kids into public they WILL hear things you don't like, no matter what. That is exactly why you must teach them HOW to think (and in some people's case WHAT to think) at HOME.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

Good grief, bet there are not more than 5 conservative teachers at either LHS or FSH. Not a huge problem for many former students figure the truth out on their own in later life.

No problem, couldn't be a teacher. What a job, and many do it with great skill.

Teaching is a bastion of liberalism. They never grow up. Public education, college, then into the brink of the difficult job of teaching. Everything move they make is based on being paid with tax dollars.

Liberalism, big government, teaching perfect match.

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

List of People, Groups, Publications, Creatures, and Inanimate Objects Conspiring Against the GOP, and therefore, America:

Liberals Democrats Socialists Geologists Biologists Meteorologists Atheists Muslims Jews ABC NBC CNN CBS PBS All of cable except FNC The New York Times The LA Times The Washington Post The Associated Press Reuters BBC The Guardian Black People Mexicans Human Rights Activists SCOTUS Europe Movie Industry Television Industry Environmentalists ACLU The United Nations UAW SEIU AFL-CIO Colleges Teachers Professors ACORN National Endowment for the Arts Gays Judges NPR Paleontologists Astrophysicists Museums (*except Creationism Museum) WHO WTO Inflated tires The Honolulu Advertiser The Star Bulletin Teletubbies Sponge Bob and Patrick Nobel Prize Committee US Census Bureau NOAA Dogs Sesame Street Dictionaries Comic Books AARP Condos

seriouscat 2 years, 9 months ago

It would not matter if your teacher were conservative, liberal...or any of the other BS labels people like to throw around if schools actually did what they are supposed to do: Teach people how to THINK. As long as thinking critically = intellectualism=the devil, schools will serve to indoctrinate in line with whomever gets to decide on the angle of the truthiness.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

Agnostick, ummm what planet and what age are you living in right now. Teachers have great impact on young minds. Personally I do have problems with if my son was correct in telling me about open campaigning by Government teachers at LHS for Obama.

BTW........of all folks hurt by President Obama teachers as many government workers barely noticed the monster recession under his leadership.

Inflation has not hurt folks getting a regular salary or even raises. Once ObamaCentric programs really hit home come the cruelest of the cruel, inflation on top of overinflated energy prices.

Again, if you get free chow, and housing what does inflation mean to those on the dole? Teachers are not on the dole and will feel 30 percent inflation. They align themselves with thoughtless get elected officials who only vote more more more without thought to who is paying. If I was a teacher, you bet I'd be on the line for Obama types.

You will begin to see real cracks in Obama support, Kansas pays teachers very poorly. Not like Wisconsin.

Like any other government tax paid worker dropping 10-30 teachers in district like normal people deal with home budgets and you would hear squealing like stuck pigs.

Yet, we cut cut cut, why can't government?

Pretty sure LPS could cut, tweak, move, and be creative in making our district more efficient financially.

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

i cannot wait to walk through the halls of our local schools in a few months seeing the "Obama" bumper stickers pinned to some of the cork boards of the classrooms, then i'll recall this sound off question and the official school policy, when i complain.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

Good God Agnes, when a Lawrence Lib thinks the public schools are a bastion of free exchange of conservative and liberal ideas we have some serious problems.

LHS Young Dems, LFSHS Young Dems.............Green Party yes, any other cause left wing cause yes.......Conservative groups, nope.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

Most often it comes when they begin paying in taxes, and not thinking the government is giving money back to them. Hey folks, it's always been your money.

What I can't understand is why in Lawrence with all the LImo LIbs on the HIll living in cool ranch houses making big bucks, sipping booze off the golf courses traveling to France every two years on students dime, we have the 60 year old libs who serve us french fries living in squalor with no health care.

They need to develop a museum of old hippies.

This I will never understand.

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

"Conservatives believe and rightly so, when a person is ready to understand and not react like a burro with burrs under the saddle to complex problems, then they change to Republican."

Yes, the rest of us understand that you believe that, and if a single premise in that thought held any observational validity, then you might be on to something. Sadly, however, not a single one does. Except, of course, "conservatives believe". That one bears itself out under observation. They certainly do.

One might even say they have faith.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

jonas, the saying is as old as American politics. Conservatives are simply grown up democrats.

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

Your defense of your statement is how long it's been around? Haha.

If conservatives were, as you say, adult and grown-up by definition, then why do so many of them act like petulant children who aren't getting their way?

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

Like a weeping Nanny Pelosi and Chuck the Duck All Water In The United States ponds, rivers, streams, run off needs to clean enough to swim in, and oh by the way guns should be banned New York Senator Schummer for example.

This green belch stuff sounds so good...........to

Yep, sounds good to high school kids, then of course they grow up and realize there is farming, there are ranches, there are lands near border areas, and by golly they could actually own one someday.

jonas, actually many of us are starting to realize we have gone so far socialist this nation is gone forever. Actually socialist is not quite the word, Nanny State is better. We have far too many folks who never heard John F. Kennedy say ask not what your country can do.............

Obama 2012.........yes ask beg demand the country does something for you, just do as Michelle and I say, not do.

Yep Jonas maybe time I need to think differently. Hey, I can give your money for donations, pay somebody to volunteer, instead of helping people just show them how to get a free chow card. Really easy to do, give using others money and freedom.

Mr and Mrs. Wissmo need to learn how to reach the hand out palm open while begging more more more.

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

I am impressed by the grown-up quality of your response. Thank you for showing me what you think mature looks like, it answer my query quite effectively.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 9 months ago

partisan political rhetoric should be left to moderated discussion from the students, learning to express, support, defend their opinions and have them challenged. Teachers should moderate with neutrality.

As far as anti faith discrimination, if that really happened, it is also completely not acceptable, however, most of the time I hear people whining over the anti religion card, they are really upset because their desire to force others to practice their version of their faith has been challenged.

They mistake freedom of religion with religious supremacy. Just like white supremacy, black supremacy, male supremacy, religious supremacy is a violation of the values of this country and the law.

kugrad 2 years, 9 months ago

While I sincerely doubt there is any truth to the original claim that starts this discussion, I will comment as a long-time teacher. I will not tell students who I am voting for, although I might give it away if my car has a bumper sticker (which it currently doesn't, but who knows). I try very hard to be even-handed in any discussion, letting the STUDENTS talk about their views, asking questions, and not indicating my preferences. I want to bring out both sides of an issue, but I do not want to advocate for one or the other. My goal is to help raise students who think for themselves. It would be wise for parents to do the same, but that is their choice, not mine.

In my building, I am certain this is the prevailing philosophy. The chances are good that the original question arises from a misunderstanding or miscommunication of some sort.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 8 months ago

Even college students are greatly influenced by what they hear in the classroom. Don't get too comfortable thinking that you have taught your children to be independent thinkers. It is the responsibility of teachers to avoid biases.

It concerns me that the response from Boyle was a typical bureaucratic brush off. How hard would it be to send out a reminder of the school policy on bias to all teachers? This doesn't need to start out as a problem with a teacher. It would be better to give fair warning.