Sound Off

Sound Off: Why do the four middle schools each have their own unique honor roll systems instead of a uniform honor roll system applicable to all of them?

Kim Bodensteiner, Lawrence school district’s chief academic officer, provided this information: “For many years, each junior high school established its own criteria for honor roll. During our planning last spring, the middle school principals agreed that this site-based practice would continue as we moved to the middle school configuration.”

Comments

Nikki May 2 years, 8 months ago

I've always wondered that as well. It's the same school district, should be the same grades.

songbird 2 years, 8 months ago

Heck, grades are calculated differently WITHIN each middle school due to standards based grading. 6th graders only get letter grades in core classes so honor roll achievement must be calculated differently for 6th graders compared to 7th and 8th graders. Talk about complicated!!

Deb Engstrom 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm not a big fan of an honor roll anyway. They need to have a category that says, "working very hard, doing the best they can -- even though they might get a C or D."

rtwngr 2 years, 8 months ago

Sure, Deb, we can't have any winners or losers only "working very hard" or really trying. As we all know, it doesn't matter in life whether we are getting results its only important to understand that we are "trying." This attitude has a lot to do with the problems in our society.

Sheila Hooper White 2 years, 8 months ago

Laugh all you want, KRichards, I will be putting one on my van. My daughter worked hard for the grades she has, no matter what you or anyone else thinks. By putting the sticker on my van window, shows my daughter how very proud of her we are. Laughing and smiling is what more people need to do:)

Sheila Hooper White 2 years, 8 months ago

PennyBrite 2 years, 8 months ago

Do all 4 middle schools have honor roll bumper stickers? Someone mentioned that only some of the schools had them......

Sheila Hooper White 2 years, 8 months ago

Didn't mean to post it twice.........irritates me when it happens.

rtwngr 2 years, 8 months ago

I had one child that made it a couple of times and one child that was always on it. In the overall scheme of things it is irrelevant at that level but it is wonderful recognition for "achievement". We should reward achievers.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 8 months ago

things it is irrelevant at that level

huh?