Sound Off

Sound Off: When does Knology plan to update the “info” displayed on the channels in Topeka that they dropped. Right now, the info display still shows what’s on the Topeka channels but when you turn to that channel, something else is on.

Rodger Kutemeier, Knology of Kansas general manager, provided this answer (which was edited for length): “We have chosen to leave the guide information for KSNT and KTKA on our lineup for two reasons. “The first is we continue to have hope that the operator of these stations will again allow us to re-broadcast their signals. “The second is many customers have DVR recordings setup to record the network shows on these two channels. When we remove the KSNT and KTKA guide information, the DVR recordings will stop; therefore we are allowing time for customers to change their recordings to the Kansas City affiliates so they don’t miss their favorite shows in the middle of the network season. “DVRs are engineered to record the broadcaster’s Source ID, not the channel number. This is how we ensure we don’t break DVR recordings when we have to move a station or network to a different channel number. “The Source ID for KSNT and KTKA will go away at the end of February if we still do not have an agreement to rebroadcast these stations. Customers need to make sure their NBC and ABC shows are set up to record NBC on Channel 14 or 214 and ABC on Channel 9 or 209 so they don’t miss a future recording.”

Comments

David Albertson 2 years, 10 months ago

Knology is a joke, period. Once they took over, the prices went up and the quality of service went down. I switched to Directv and couldn't be happier.

Pete_Schweti 2 years, 10 months ago

Better question: Why are you using Knology?

jackpot 2 years, 10 months ago

Dish is working for me. Maybe if Knology put the money spent on mailers to lower the prices they would get more people to us.

oldvet 2 years, 10 months ago

Anybody here use ATT Uverse for TV/Internet? If so, how do you feel about their services? Thanks

kusp8 2 years, 10 months ago

I have UVerse, and I've had it for almost two years now, I've loved it. Initially they had to upgrade the boxes on the street corner and some of the wiring around the area to carry the digital signal. Butttt, once that was done, I haven't had any issues since. As opposed to Knology/ Sunflower where pixilation occurred on a daily basis and was never resolved.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 10 months ago

I regret getting at&t's internet. It is terribly slow. I can barely stream music videos on you tube. After my year contract is up i'm switching back to knology.

sustainabilitysister 2 years, 10 months ago

I use AT&T's internet with my Blu-ray and initially I thought it was my internet connection that was the problem but it was my Blu-ray configurations. Since I've switched this I've been perfectly happy with the upload speed with Netflix. I pay a fraction of Knology's charges and will never go back. I've gotten accustomed to reading the news online.

cjeter 2 years, 10 months ago

I switched to Uverse about 5 months ago. The DVR/guide is considerably better. From a whole home DVR standpoint i'd call it a 100% improvement. The picture quality is somewhat more compressed, and not as sharp though. That would be my only complaint. On the internet side I have no complaints, speed is good and the service is reliable.

Most of the reliability problems that you are seeing with Knologly, I feel stem from the fact that they have reduced their head end staff to the breaking point... Those poor guys are doing the best they can with what they were left with.

Cai 2 years, 10 months ago

aren't there only like 2 guys left over there?

Uverse has been great for me too, all the way around. I don't think you pay me enough to go back to knology/sunflower, given how awful the service was.

cjeter 2 years, 10 months ago

yes, as far as I know they are down to two local guys.

tomatogrower 2 years, 10 months ago

We have Uverse too, and like it. I thought when there was more competition, prices and service should improve, but Knowlogy doesn't seem to be keeping up, and none of it gets cheaper. Any of the devout capitalists want to explain why?

Cai 2 years, 9 months ago

they don't have to.

Many apartments in lawrence don't let you get satellite dishes. And uverse isn't ubiquitous.

Yet.

I'd predict that something changes as the breaking point gets closer - and that this is part of why they sold SFBB in the first place.

LogicMan 2 years, 10 months ago

With Dish Network and DirectTV, what levels of service do you need to get at least the KU BB and FB games that Knology carries?

And, with taxes, etc., what do they cost per month including equipment, etc.?

thisiknow 2 years, 10 months ago

I want channel 8 and channel 12 back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gedanken 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow - Rob really needs to stop placing the blame on the other party. The Topeka channels will let Knology broadcast them, but Knology will have to pay.

Gedanken 2 years, 10 months ago

You didn't do a bad analysis, but you forgot a few things. The advertisers could put pressure on the Topeka Channels to lower their advertising rates due to decreased audience. In turn, that may put pressure on those channels to negotiate. We could put pressure on Knology for removing channels and NOT lowering our rates. We have two less channels that obviously Knology was paying SOME money for and now they are not paying them at all. Did you see your bill get lowered?

Overall though - Rob just needs to stop lying about the situation and be honest. I would have much more respect for the guy if he just said, "Hey, they wanted a lot more money for us to broadcast their channels and we think that it is way too much." Instead, he keeps trying to spin the situation which makes him look pretty bad.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 10 months ago

Just a correction: Uverse has a 250GB/month cap on Internet.

John Spencer 2 years, 10 months ago

Re-correction, Att Uverse internet has no monthly cap for any tier. You may be thinking of the internet phone or DSL from ATT, which both have caps.

Done 2 years, 10 months ago

Gedanken== If Knology let them back on the cable system then you will pay more for your service. So in Knology's defence they are tryingt to keep cost down. Not that if fixes any other problems they are having.

seagull 2 years, 10 months ago

Bring back the Topeka NBC affiliate!!!! I am tired of listening to Jack Harry bash KU with enthusiasm while he talks incessantly, and positively, about Mizzou. Rod, work a little harder to bring them back!

madcow 2 years, 10 months ago

I am growing pretty angry with Knology.

Every single time I try to watch one of the few shows I do watch, there ends up being pixelation issues 2-3 times an hour.

They also said they would have HBO GO service available by the end of last year... yeah still don't have that.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 10 months ago

THAT is your problem with Knology? Interesting.

cjeter 2 years, 10 months ago

From first hand knowledge, The ad department doesn't intentionally crank up the volume of the ads (in this case) it's really more of an issue of them not having the right equipment in house to encode the spots at the right levels to match up with the volume settings on each of the different channels. And this indeed did happen before the sale to knology. Dialnorm is a tricky thing to deal with. Now on the other hand, I agree completely that the issue needs to be worked on. I also know for a fact if there is a spot that is completely blown out all it takes is a call (well I guess it used to just take a call, not sure who you would call now) and the spot would be looked at and re-encoded with lower levels.

mistydjensen 2 years, 10 months ago

I apologize you are having frustration with our local commercials. If you hear this again, please email me directly at misty.jensen@knology.com. If you could provide the specific commercial, network you were watching, and time this occurred I will personally look into it.

Ray March 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why anyone would care that the Topeka channels are gone. They were terrible anyway. Their local news looks like it was shot in someone's garage with a cell phone. It's not in HD and looks like a small town/ameteur video compared to the KC stations. There have been instances where they broadcast a KU game in standard def, when it's in HD on the KC stations. Losing the joke Topeka stations is no loss if you ask me. If they want to change us to get it when they're broadcasting it for free over the air, heck with them.

I don't like that Knology took over, since you now talk to someone in Georgia when you call 841-2100 but the service is still great. However, Sunflower built a pretty awesome platform and that hasn't changed. The video quality and the internet speeds can't be beat. My parents have satellite. It's fuzzy and goes out if the wind blows more than 2 miles an hour or if it sprinkles outside. Another friend of mine has Uverse. It looks OK, but looks a bit fuzzy compared to my Knology.

Ray March 2 years, 10 months ago

typo: I meant to type "charge us"......not "change us" in the 2nd paragraph...

Done 2 years, 10 months ago

Everyone wanted a Time Warner or a Cox in Lawrence well now you got one. I guess when you have something good you dont appriciate it.

Done 2 years, 10 months ago

Curtis Lange 2 years, 10 months ago

+1 for ditching the terrible Knology service for the much better Uverse service.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 9 months ago

In defense of Knology, their customer service isn't great, but it's a LOT better than AT&T U-verse's customer service. I was going to switch my Internet/television/home-phone service from Knology to AT&T (I live on a street in Lawrence that's covered by both), however, after dealing with U-verse customer-service representatives (took a whole afternoon to get my questions/problems resolved with the installation appointment), I decided to keep my service with Knology.

As an aside, I'll mention that I've been very happy with the service I've received from Knology. By this I mean I've been happy with the Internet, television and phone service itself. The Internet is fast, with no bandwidth quota on the "Palladium" plan. The television picture looks great (they're broadcasting in 1080i high definition). The home telephone is still using copper wiring and the sound quality is excellent.

Yes, Knology's customer service leaves a lot to be desired... you're calling Georgia or North Dakota, and the Georgia call center (the one open at night) can't make any changes to your account... but on the whole I've found these people to be enormously more knowledgeable and helpful that AT&T's representatives.

One more thing: AT&T is essentially divided between the wireless/mobile/cell department and the U-verse department. The people over on the wireless side are usually pretty good. It's the reps on the U-verse side who seem to be so awful. Maybe this is just my experience?