Sound Off

Sound Off: When does Knology plan to update the “info” displayed on the channels in Topeka that they dropped. Right now, the info display still shows what’s on the Topeka channels but when you turn to that channel, something else is on.

Rodger Kutemeier, Knology of Kansas general manager, provided this answer (which was edited for length): “We have chosen to leave the guide information for KSNT and KTKA on our lineup for two reasons. “The first is we continue to have hope that the operator of these stations will again allow us to re-broadcast their signals. “The second is many customers have DVR recordings setup to record the network shows on these two channels. When we remove the KSNT and KTKA guide information, the DVR recordings will stop; therefore we are allowing time for customers to change their recordings to the Kansas City affiliates so they don’t miss their favorite shows in the middle of the network season. “DVRs are engineered to record the broadcaster’s Source ID, not the channel number. This is how we ensure we don’t break DVR recordings when we have to move a station or network to a different channel number. “The Source ID for KSNT and KTKA will go away at the end of February if we still do not have an agreement to rebroadcast these stations. Customers need to make sure their NBC and ABC shows are set up to record NBC on Channel 14 or 214 and ABC on Channel 9 or 209 so they don’t miss a future recording.”

Comments

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 1 month ago

In defense of Knology, their customer service isn't great, but it's a LOT better than AT&T U-verse's customer service. I was going to switch my Internet/television/home-phone service from Knology to AT&T (I live on a street in Lawrence that's covered by both), however, after dealing with U-verse customer-service representatives (took a whole afternoon to get my questions/problems resolved with the installation appointment), I decided to keep my service with Knology.

As an aside, I'll mention that I've been very happy with the service I've received from Knology. By this I mean I've been happy with the Internet, television and phone service itself. The Internet is fast, with no bandwidth quota on the "Palladium" plan. The television picture looks great (they're broadcasting in 1080i high definition). The home telephone is still using copper wiring and the sound quality is excellent.

Yes, Knology's customer service leaves a lot to be desired... you're calling Georgia or North Dakota, and the Georgia call center (the one open at night) can't make any changes to your account... but on the whole I've found these people to be enormously more knowledgeable and helpful that AT&T's representatives.

One more thing: AT&T is essentially divided between the wireless/mobile/cell department and the U-verse department. The people over on the wireless side are usually pretty good. It's the reps on the U-verse side who seem to be so awful. Maybe this is just my experience?

Curtis Lange 2 years, 2 months ago

+1 for ditching the terrible Knology service for the much better Uverse service.

Done 2 years, 2 months ago

Everyone wanted a Time Warner or a Cox in Lawrence well now you got one. I guess when you have something good you dont appriciate it.

Done 2 years, 2 months ago

Ray March 2 years, 2 months ago

typo: I meant to type "charge us"......not "change us" in the 2nd paragraph...

Ray March 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know why anyone would care that the Topeka channels are gone. They were terrible anyway. Their local news looks like it was shot in someone's garage with a cell phone. It's not in HD and looks like a small town/ameteur video compared to the KC stations. There have been instances where they broadcast a KU game in standard def, when it's in HD on the KC stations. Losing the joke Topeka stations is no loss if you ask me. If they want to change us to get it when they're broadcasting it for free over the air, heck with them.

I don't like that Knology took over, since you now talk to someone in Georgia when you call 841-2100 but the service is still great. However, Sunflower built a pretty awesome platform and that hasn't changed. The video quality and the internet speeds can't be beat. My parents have satellite. It's fuzzy and goes out if the wind blows more than 2 miles an hour or if it sprinkles outside. Another friend of mine has Uverse. It looks OK, but looks a bit fuzzy compared to my Knology.

bigtoe 2 years, 2 months ago

Open letter to Rodger Kutemeier, Knology general manager, and local advertisers on Knology cable service:

As you are well aware, a new federal statute was passed and signed by the President into law last year, which requires all cable companies (Knology) to reduce the volume level on their commercials to the volume level of their normal programing (i.e. no more blasting the viewer out of their chair with ultra loud commercials).

There was never a problem with local commercials while Sunflower was the local cable provider. It was only after Knology took over operations that the the volume on locally produced commercials has been apparently deliberately increased to at least 5 times higher levels than normal programing volume.

I and everyone I know with Knology cable service are outraged with the volume levels of the local commercials. You are collecting high dollar fees for cable TV service while at the same time ruining the viewing experience for your customers by deliberately jacking up the volume on your local ads.

We intend to make sure Knology is put on and stays on the the FCC's s*** list, so we will be providing a steady stream of complaints to the FCC, until such time as you lower the volume on your local commercials to that of normal programing (e.g. Montana Mike's, Jade Garden, Dr. Van Blaricum, etc).

Also, until your pumping up of volume on ads is corrected we will not use the services of any such local advertisers.

madcow 2 years, 2 months ago

I am growing pretty angry with Knology.

Every single time I try to watch one of the few shows I do watch, there ends up being pixelation issues 2-3 times an hour.

They also said they would have HBO GO service available by the end of last year... yeah still don't have that.

Andini 2 years, 2 months ago

I wouldn't have a problem about not having the Topeka ABC affiliate if the Kansas City ABC one broadcast Nightline at 10:30 pm instead of reruns of Two & A half men.

seagull 2 years, 2 months ago

Bring back the Topeka NBC affiliate!!!! I am tired of listening to Jack Harry bash KU with enthusiasm while he talks incessantly, and positively, about Mizzou. Rod, work a little harder to bring them back!

Done 2 years, 2 months ago

Gedanken== If Knology let them back on the cable system then you will pay more for your service. So in Knology's defence they are tryingt to keep cost down. Not that if fixes any other problems they are having.

Keith Richards 2 years, 2 months ago

Knology was terrible and I switched as soon as Uverse was available in my neighborhood. The service is fantastic, the DVR setup is really good, and the pricing is better overall than Knology without any bandwith restrictions or quotas.

Gedanken 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow - Rob really needs to stop placing the blame on the other party. The Topeka channels will let Knology broadcast them, but Knology will have to pay.

thisiknow 2 years, 2 months ago

I want channel 8 and channel 12 back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LogicMan 2 years, 2 months ago

With Dish Network and DirectTV, what levels of service do you need to get at least the KU BB and FB games that Knology carries?

And, with taxes, etc., what do they cost per month including equipment, etc.?

tomatogrower 2 years, 2 months ago

We have Uverse too, and like it. I thought when there was more competition, prices and service should improve, but Knowlogy doesn't seem to be keeping up, and none of it gets cheaper. Any of the devout capitalists want to explain why?

cjeter 2 years, 2 months ago

I switched to Uverse about 5 months ago. The DVR/guide is considerably better. From a whole home DVR standpoint i'd call it a 100% improvement. The picture quality is somewhat more compressed, and not as sharp though. That would be my only complaint. On the internet side I have no complaints, speed is good and the service is reliable.

Most of the reliability problems that you are seeing with Knologly, I feel stem from the fact that they have reduced their head end staff to the breaking point... Those poor guys are doing the best they can with what they were left with.

oldvet 2 years, 2 months ago

Anybody here use ATT Uverse for TV/Internet? If so, how do you feel about their services? Thanks

jackpot 2 years, 2 months ago

Dish is working for me. Maybe if Knology put the money spent on mailers to lower the prices they would get more people to us.

Pete_Schweti 2 years, 2 months ago

Better question: Why are you using Knology?

David Albertson 2 years, 2 months ago

Knology is a joke, period. Once they took over, the prices went up and the quality of service went down. I switched to Directv and couldn't be happier.