Sound Off

Sound off: Are stop signs in grocery store parking lots legally enforceable?

Officer Jim Welsh of the Lawrence Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit provided this information: The stop signs that are often in front of the buildings directly are not enforceable because they are on private property. Examples would be the stop signs in front of Hy-Vee or in front of Michaels/World Market. The stop signs posted at the edges of the parking lot are technically enforceable, although we would not write it as a stop sign violation. The violation would be failure to yield the right of way when entering a roadway. This violation is enforceable if a stop sign is posted or not. In other words: You have to stop when leaving private property, whether it is posted or not.

Comments

tscaf2000 2 years, 2 months ago

Are they enforceable by the Police? No. Why? It's private property,thats why...unless asked for assistance, by the owners of said property, then the Police can pretend to be Mister BAD. But other than that...You can run them all day long. Just wouldn't understand, why you'd do it. Your safety and the safety of others would be in question. Let alone the law suit for your stupid act of running a stop sign. My advice...They may be dumb things to have in/on parking lots. But it mean's someone/body has already taken the shot of hitting someone and paid that price. Use your head. This isn't NASCAR.

killjoy 2 years, 2 months ago

I do support the death penalty in Kansas. failure to turn into the proper lane, failure to move out of the left lane on the hwy., failure to signal when changing lanes, failure to signal at roundabouts, pulling up to a stoplight when going straight in the right-turn lane...you know, serious offenses.

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 2 months ago

The police told a "victim" at McD's on 6th street that their is no lane but only the drive through lane. Someone had backed out and a car was moving forward in the space which appears to be a driving lane until someone backs out. Well, LPD said that first it is on private property and that there is only one lane at McD's. at that being the Drive Thru lane. Beware if you are driving behind the cars parked because you are in an illegal lane. Go figure that one out.

Police won't get involved.

its_just_math 2 years, 2 months ago

And why can you be ticketed on a gravel road, but when there's an accident on that same road....it's "no-fault" or at least as far as I've ever known. Seems incongruous.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

my son backed into someone at a gas station in north lawrence and the officer that responded said they can not write a ticket or a report on it because its on private property, anyone know about this?? is that true??? also on another note, if your not supose to talk on your cell phone and drive, why was the officer that i was next to in lawrence last evening for 8 blocks talking on his phone???

Enlightenment 2 years, 2 months ago

Ok, while we're on the driving issue, here is my big problem with local drivers. When turning onto a multi-lane roadway, enter the nearest lane and then make a safe lane change if you need to be in a different lane. Approximately 75 percent of the time, I've observed drivers turning onto a multi-lane roadway cutting across 2-3 lanes instead of entering the nearest lane. This is not only lazy driving, it's dangerous. Many times if I see a car at a stop waiting to turn onto the street I'm on, I will move over to allow them in only to have them cut across multiple lanes and cut me off.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 2 months ago

Why would you even think of running a stop sign no matter where it is? It was put there for your and other driver's safety. Why would you think that your failure to take time to get ready to go wherever you are late for takes precidence over safety? Drivers today are getting worse and worse in their driving skills and attitudes. Seems that the anaonmity of crouching behind the sterring wheel of about 1000 pounfs of moving metal and destruction gives some careless people the notion that they are the only ones on the road who have any right of way at all and I see it every day and everyplace.

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

better yet are the maroons that drive the wrong way down a parking row. I like to turn on my high beams and lay on the horn whilst staring the offender down. They usually need a clean pair of pantaloons afterward.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

After all, when operating a vehicle weighing tons in a high pedestrian density area, it's legal enforceability that is of paramount concern.

classclown 2 years, 2 months ago

Something I've wondered about for a long time. Police can't issue citations on private property as pointed out in this Sound Off article. Why are they allowed to issue them for people that park in the handicapped spots without the proper tags or placards?

In the interest of preventing the inevitable lecture from those that will assume I park in them illegally, my wife has handicapped tags so is able to park in them. As I'm not handicapped, I don't park in them even with tags on the car.

On another note, while there seems to be an awful lot vehicles with the tags/placards around here, I haven't really noticed too many parked in the spots without them.

its_just_math 2 years, 2 months ago

Once at Hy-Vee in Lawrence, I didn't notice the sign and got some dirty looks. The Legends is tricky. You have right-of-way if you're coming in from one of the 4-5 entrances, but, exiting, you must stop. People are always "rolling" though them. I've seen many road-rage incidents there.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

They aren't in Florida. Probably not here either, otherwise we'd have no Kansas Speedway.

KS 2 years, 2 months ago

I suppose that if someone does not stop at the sign on private property and hits/injures someone, the driver would have a lot more to worry about than a stop sign infraction. Oh, where did common sense go?

The_Voice_of_Reason 2 years, 2 months ago

Good question, I'd like an answer to that one too.

akuna 2 years, 2 months ago

Does failure to yield right of way apply if there is no other car to yield to?