Sound Off

Sound Off: I heard that postage went up recently. Are the “forever” stamps that were purchased in 2011 adequate now? What are the rates now?

Postage for a one-ounce letter went up to 45 cents, postal employee Greg Howard said. But forever stamps bought in 2011 will still be recognized, without the need of additional postage.

Comments

kansanbygrace 2 years, 1 month ago

usps, one of the best mail delivery services in the world, delivers small and light for less and faster than any of the competitors. Another point is that every single day, a great portion of the small packages that ups, fedex, dhl handle are delivered to the USPS for postal carriers to deliver to their destination. The private deliveries would be substantially more expensive if they didn't outsource their small package handling to USPS. The Congressional mandate to USPS that they must fund an enormous "future benefits liability" that no other business in the world has to do busts the budget by itself. Congress is doing everything they can to kill the more effective, efficient and economical delivery option and leave us paying more for less.

bigpimpin 2 years, 2 months ago

I bought $4M worth of forever stamps in 2007. In about 10 years when a stamp costs > $1.50 a piece, I am going to sell my stamps for $1.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

Right after the Forever stamps became available, I purchased several books, and then promptly misplaced them. It's been years, now, since I last saw them. Good thing they last forever.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

the garden love stamps are "forever" stamps, it is not limited any longer to the liberty bell stamps only ...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

"Mail a letter with UPS or FedEx and see what they charge you" - vertigo

But mailing an non-urgent letter with UPS of FedEx is illegal.

FlintHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's some clarification: Only the "Forever" stamps that have "Forever" printed vertically on the right hand side of the stamp are true "forever" stamps.

I spent hours earlier in the week trying to get accurate information about the increase and "Forever" stamps. Many people bought what they thought at the time were "Forever" stamps (no amount shown on the stamp), but turns out those stamps are NOT forever.

The only real Forever stamps I have are the Liberty Bell ones, with "Forever" on the right hand side. Those are now worth $.45.

tennesseerader 2 years, 2 months ago

U.S. postage has gone up 41% in five years. That is over 8% per year! In other words if you would have bought $100,000 of "Forever" U.S. postage stamps five years ago they would be worth more than $141,000 today. That is a better rate of return than any CD and just as safe.

Postage rates remained relatively unchanged until the 1960's and after the last link of the U.S. currency to gold was broken in 1971 the FED has printed money and devalued the currency.

From the Daily Oklahoman December 9th, 1951 said it best:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

purplesage 2 years, 2 months ago

When did this latest increase take effect? I don't remember news coverage.

FedEx and UPS both deliver piles of stuff to the post office. Then, the postal service is supposed to make the final leg of the delivery to an address. I say supposed to; a recent experience, small town, a parcel arrived from Massachusetts. Once the post office got it, it was never seen again. At least, until some unknown good samaritan left it, 3 weeks later on our back porch on a Saturday morning.

Why can the privately run, for profit agencies make a bundle and the post office is a welfare case?

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

Fund the damn post office & while you're at it, throw some money in there for public broadcasting.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 2 months ago

Kujeeper, Even sadder

Much like the sticker shock of the 1990s when citizens realized school administration in small communities were making 100K or more. In Western Kansas some of these birds were making 3 x more than anybody else in the county. We did nothing. Not much has been done about the contracts loaded with cash out insurance, new cars, full pay for a year after retirement, and gulp (smile you paid for it), the famous consulting contracts, we should now turn our attention to the USPS. Well all non specialized tax payer funded jobs really.

Folks are now realizing we gave up the farm to fed workers. BTW....regarding a national story ......The more folks know about Wisconsin state employees pay packages the less popular the protests are. Notice you don't hear much anymore. Why? The citizens of Wisconsin saw the real figures and benefits and are sizzling mad.

Check and see how much an average postal worker makes. Check out what the ave. for an asst. manager (10 years) of a small town post office makes. State employee benefits are generous, you should see what our federal buddies receive. You do not need any training except a high school diploma either. Think folks would line up for a job like the above?

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

Farney and Solomon retort: What about "forever" is so difficult to understand? Either the "for" or the "ever" part, probably.

This is Kansas. I'm pretty sure our illustrious Gpvernpr could somehow finagle even the USPS, in the name of "savings" for this Great State, to devalue even the forever postage stamp.

"That was forever; this is now."

kujeeper 2 years, 2 months ago

USPS is horrible, typical government workers who won't go above and beyond for any reason. Lets privatize it, see postage decrease, and service quality sky rocket. I just got a Christmas card from KC last week and I only live 55 miles from the sender, they could've walked it to me faster!

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

What are the USA H First-Class Rate stamps worth as postage today?

overthemoon 2 years, 2 months ago

45 cents is a bargain. With FedEX and UPS trying to push the USPS out of the market, just think what it would cost to mail a birthday card!! I recently got a letter from a friend in MO. It came in one day. No expedited delivery, just regular mail. For 43 cents. I think we need to think about the cost of mail relatively and not be going nuts over 2 cents.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 2 months ago

Um, I guess I save .45@ with auto deduction services and pay online.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 2 months ago

I wonder about people sometimes. :/

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

I am still using forever stamps I purchased in 2007. Between the rate increase and other factors, I figure I am earning 7¢ every bill I pay.

Norma Jeane Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

That was my thought also, FM. Especially since, when the Forever stamps first hit the market, they were merchandised as a way to avoid future postal increases. I still have some Forever stamps I bought in 2009. Looks like they were worth it.

Eybea Opiner 2 years, 2 months ago

Either the "for" or the "ever" part, probably.

FarneyMac 2 years, 2 months ago

What about "forever" is so difficult to understand?