Sound Off

Sound off: What is the ordinance about leaving your trash out seven days a week? We have a neighbor who, after trash day, starts putting sacks out next to the road again.

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: The City’s Environmental Code regulates when a person can and cannot put out trash for weekly pickup. Placing trash/trash receptacles prior to 24 hours of the collection day and failure to remove trash receptacles within 24 hours of the collection day are violations of the code. To file a complaint, contact the Code Enforcement Division at (785) 832-7700 or file a complaint online at www.lawrenceks.org/pds/code_violation.

Comments

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

If that doesn't work email and call the city manager. Otherwise he will not know what level of service his staff is offering.

appleaday 2 years, 5 months ago

I have a neighbor who does this. They put trash out in flimsy plastic bags starting the day after trash pickup. They throw out trash and garbage both and the food draws stray dogs and other animals who tear open the bags. When the wind is blowing, the trash blows all over the neighborhood. We have talked to the neighbors and some of us have even gone a re-bagged the garbage after picking it all up and they keep doing it. We're not crybabies -- we're just at a point where we have to get the city to enforce an ordinance. Laws like these are made for the few idiots who won't be good citizens.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

It's the city's responsibility to enforce city codes, not the neighbors.

People vary quite a bit in their reasonableness and openness to discussion with neighbors.

I used to think that talking with neighbors was the best way to handle these sorts of things, then I had some bad experiences trying to do that.

Now I'm much more inclined to simply call the police, or the appropriate city offices instead.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

My point is that sometimes the respective departments do not respond. At that point is when citizens call the city manager.

He needs to know what is going on in order to keep the operation at his level of comfort.

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

I've lived in Lawrence more than forty years, and this is the first I've heard of this ordinance. I hate people who violate it because having trash out at the curb longer than necessary just looks bad. It's nice to know I have legal backing the next time I complain.

HardwoodGoat 2 years, 5 months ago

Code Enforcement?! Ha Ha. I'm not sure what they do down there, lil light on the enforcement side. I live next to a moron who's bush light boxes and rest of trash blow around the neighborhood on a regular basis. Trailer is as Trailer does.

HardwoodGoat 2 years, 5 months ago

An example of one such violation can be seen as we speak @ corner of W. 5th Terr and Kasold. Pride, a rare commodity nowadays.

BMI 2 years, 5 months ago

Imagine. Being a helpful neighbor who helps out a few elderly or disabled citizens by mowing their yard for them. The only available day is usually Sun afternoon. The owner cannot move the large city bin themselves, so the mower bags the grass, puts it in a rented city receptacle, which he pulls neatly to end of driveway. It sits calmly, lid down all the way until time for city pick up on Thursday. How can this be a crime? It should be applauded!