Sound Off

Sound Off: Genesis Health Club

Are any changes planned at Lawrence Athletic Club now that it’s been purchased by Genesis Health Club?

Yes, LAC members can expect a major remodel of the facility. That’s what Rodney Steven II, owner of the Genesis chain, said earlier this month. He said the project would include changes to the building’s exterior and a completely redone interior, including new weight and cardio rooms and equipment, new locker rooms and new furnishings. Steven said the club will stay open during construction, which he hopes to have done by September or October. Work will occur in phases to minimize disruptions, he said. The facility’s hours will not change, he said, and it will continue to honor existing memberships.

Comments

gsxr600 1 year, 3 months ago

I could care less what the exterior looks like as long as the equipment is sufficient. Genesis on Iowa just got new dumbbells and some other stuff that was certainly in need of replacing. The crowd is generally sparse there so I can actually get a good workout without waiting.

larryville83 1 year, 3 months ago

Man I hope they renovate just like they did at maximus.... at least I got a letter saying they would a year ago...

And nothing had changed. I'll pass

Mary Ellen Hall 1 year, 3 months ago

Maybe the exterior work is regular maintenance that is needed? If they (LAC) hadn't been maintaining the equipment (which is a fitness facility's bread and butter) I can't imagine they were maintaining the exterior. Just a thought.

swampyankee 1 year, 3 months ago

How does changing a buildings exterior improve a fitness club ?

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 3 months ago

I think some of you are blaming the wrong person. I don't believe DC is the owner of that property. Block Properties is and DC is not listed as owning more than 5% of that LLC. Either way, I think Genesis tried their damnedest to buy the property but couldn't get the owner to sell. I'll hold out on final judgement after I see what they do at the old LAC sight, but I believe they had every intention of doing what they were talking about (they never promised it to me when I signed up) as far as the remodel at the Iowa Street location.

nativeson 1 year, 3 months ago

In the end LAC ownership was not going to survive. Genesis rates that I saw at renewal were about the same, and at least they now have a computer system. The club needed some stability. My guess is that they will likely consolidate into the LAC building and vacate the Iowa location when the lease expires.

whats_going_on 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope the first thing they do at the (old) LAC is get new machines. Theirs are absolute garbage.

jhwk247 1 year, 3 months ago

I just wish (DC) would fix the parking lot at the current Genesis Club. It is soooooo bad you could lose an SUV in one and they are all over the lot!

SofaKing 1 year, 3 months ago

Be very careful when you sign up with Maximus/Genesis. They enticed me with an additional 6 months free, but after there was a management change, they could not find the part of my contract for the additional 6 months.

On the other hand, LAC is renowned for their "Out of order - parts have been ordered" signs on machines.

Mdub10 1 year, 3 months ago

Im just glad I dont go to the LAC i was at genesis and was promised that there would be a remodel when they took over maximus, they also raised my rate from 20 which was maximus to 50 at genesis for the same exact gym, might as well go to anytime or the summit (i go to Summit now)

crimsonlaugh 1 year, 3 months ago

How about the changes Genesis has said would happen to their facility on Iowa Street? They've owned that club for at least a year (maybe 2?!) and no remodeling has happened.

63BC 1 year, 3 months ago

Great! Been to their clubs in Wichita, first class.