Sound Off

Sound Off: Genesis Health Club

Are any changes planned at Lawrence Athletic Club now that it’s been purchased by Genesis Health Club?

Yes, LAC members can expect a major remodel of the facility. That’s what Rodney Steven II, owner of the Genesis chain, said earlier this month. He said the project would include changes to the building’s exterior and a completely redone interior, including new weight and cardio rooms and equipment, new locker rooms and new furnishings. Steven said the club will stay open during construction, which he hopes to have done by September or October. Work will occur in phases to minimize disruptions, he said. The facility’s hours will not change, he said, and it will continue to honor existing memberships.

Comments

63BC 2 years, 8 months ago

Great! Been to their clubs in Wichita, first class.

crimsonlaugh 2 years, 8 months ago

How about the changes Genesis has said would happen to their facility on Iowa Street? They've owned that club for at least a year (maybe 2?!) and no remodeling has happened.

posternutbag 2 years, 8 months ago

Exactly! I cancelled my membership at Genesis back in September 2011, despite promises from management that major facility upgrades were just a couple of months away. Over a year later, my understanding is that they still have yet to begin any such improvements. LAC members should probably limit their expectations.

Take_a_letter_Maria 2 years, 8 months ago

As I understodd from the story the JW did when Genesis purchased the LAC facility, they have been trying to purchase the building they are in on Iowa Street and will put money into that location if they are successful in buying it. I've heard their lease on that location runs out sometime during 2013. Would you put the kind of money required into making all of the improvements they mentioned into the property when you and your members may not even get to enjoy them if a new lease isn't worked out?

William McCauley 2 years, 8 months ago

Yea the owners have made it clear they don't like investing millions on upgrades to someone's property they don't own and that they were trying to buy the building and the current owner not wanting to sell it to them. (Dougie C.) That is why the fix up was and is on hold, till they could buy the building or buy another location.

whats_going_on 2 years, 8 months ago

They were never able to actually purchase the building, and didn't want to do major reconstruction on a rented place.

It was really crappy of them to promise that though when they didn't know for sure if they could do it.

Mdub10 2 years, 8 months ago

Im just glad I dont go to the LAC i was at genesis and was promised that there would be a remodel when they took over maximus, they also raised my rate from 20 which was maximus to 50 at genesis for the same exact gym, might as well go to anytime or the summit (i go to Summit now)

Highlife 2 years, 8 months ago

LOL!! This is true. The Summit is $60+ and empty.

Mdub10? what would happen to Genesis if they kept selling $20 memberships like Maximus? Let me remind you that Maximus was going out of business.

SofaKing 2 years, 8 months ago

Be very careful when you sign up with Maximus/Genesis. They enticed me with an additional 6 months free, but after there was a management change, they could not find the part of my contract for the additional 6 months.

On the other hand, LAC is renowned for their "Out of order - parts have been ordered" signs on machines.

gsxr600 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you should have asked for a copy of YOUR contract before expecting them to honor anything out of thin air.

jhwk247 2 years, 8 months ago

I just wish (DC) would fix the parking lot at the current Genesis Club. It is soooooo bad you could lose an SUV in one and they are all over the lot!

whats_going_on 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope the first thing they do at the (old) LAC is get new machines. Theirs are absolute garbage.

nativeson 2 years, 8 months ago

In the end LAC ownership was not going to survive. Genesis rates that I saw at renewal were about the same, and at least they now have a computer system. The club needed some stability. My guess is that they will likely consolidate into the LAC building and vacate the Iowa location when the lease expires.

MISTERTibbs 2 years, 8 months ago

I think some of you are blaming the wrong person. I don't believe DC is the owner of that property. Block Properties is and DC is not listed as owning more than 5% of that LLC. Either way, I think Genesis tried their damnedest to buy the property but couldn't get the owner to sell. I'll hold out on final judgement after I see what they do at the old LAC sight, but I believe they had every intention of doing what they were talking about (they never promised it to me when I signed up) as far as the remodel at the Iowa Street location.

Eugehne Normandin 2 years, 8 months ago

How does changing a buildings exterior improve a fitness club ?

hail2oldku 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone that has been a member of LAC during the past ten years can tell you about the roof leaks all over the building. One can only imagine what the rest of the structure is like when the roof is in such poor condition.

Mary Ellen Hall 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the exterior work is regular maintenance that is needed? If they (LAC) hadn't been maintaining the equipment (which is a fitness facility's bread and butter) I can't imagine they were maintaining the exterior. Just a thought.

larryville83 2 years, 8 months ago

Man I hope they renovate just like they did at maximus.... at least I got a letter saying they would a year ago...

And nothing had changed. I'll pass

MISTERTibbs 2 years, 8 months ago

Challenged by the reading comprehension thing I see.

gsxr600 2 years, 8 months ago

I could care less what the exterior looks like as long as the equipment is sufficient. Genesis on Iowa just got new dumbbells and some other stuff that was certainly in need of replacing. The crowd is generally sparse there so I can actually get a good workout without waiting.