Sound Off

Sound Off: Cat leash law

Does Lawrence have a leash law for cats?

Yes. Cats that are not on their owner’s property are considered “at large” unless restrained by a leash, according to city of Lawrence pet ordinances.

Comments

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw a guy walking his cat on a leash on 6th St. It was one of those things that makes one do a double take.

I tried putting a harness on one of my cats because he always tries to dart out the door. I thought maybe he'd get some regular outside time with me & would be less likely to escape outside. I attached the leash and he immediately flopped onto the floor and would not get up. If I wanted him to go anywhere, it was obvious I'd have to drag him. So much for that idea. I gave the leash and the harness to a friend who needed one for a new puppy.

Tomato 1 year, 11 months ago

That's pretty much the standard cat reaction to a harness. Kittens are relatively easy to train to a harness, but older cats take persistence (and usually a love of the outdoors on the cat's part).

I've successfully trained a former outdoor cat to a harness. His desire to be outside outweighed his hatred of the harness and he quickly got the message that he wasn't allowed out without it. He walked well - like taking a dog for a walk.

I halfway trained a second cat to a harness. She traveled with me a bit and I was never comfortable taking her out of her carrier without a leash. Since her natural reaction was to flop over, she stayed put and it was effective! Eventually she started moving around with it, but she wasn't much of a walker - she moseyed a bit. After we stopped traveling, she would just flop over at the mere sight of the harness - I think she was letting me know just what she thought of our trips.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Tried that with Tommy the Basement Cat. He became a feline chainsaw. He shall remain forever an indoor cat.

sourpuss 1 year, 11 months ago

My cats walk on leashes without any problem, but I trained them since they were kittens.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 11 months ago

Hmm....so cats are supposed to stay on the owner's property? Anyone tried a shock collar on a cat??? My guess is that you'd end up with several scratches, a couple of bites and a visit from the police over reports of blood curdling screams....

After too many cats becoming coyote snacks here in rural Douglas County, our cat earns its keep by catching mice indoors where she stays, watching birds through the windows making those hilarious chattering noises.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 11 months ago

Brutal predators are they. Suck your breath out they will.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Love this! Thanks for the link. Took the test on what I would taste like to a cannibal and was told bbq tofu!!

Valkyrie 1 year, 11 months ago

My Siamese hated a leash, but loved to ride on my motorcycle. He would get around my neck and wrap his paws around me to hang on. Got stopped (this was in New Orleans) and given a ticket because my 'passenger' wasn't wearing a helmet!!!! The judge laughed and threw it out, Big Easy cops (groan).

midwestmom 1 year, 11 months ago

Wish they had a 'Cat at Large' law in Eudora! I'm a cat lover and have (2) strictly indoor cats, but I have a neighbor who thinks it perfectly okay for their cat to use my flower bed as a potty pan and it is for them - they don't have to clean up after it. I called the Humane Society (after talking to the neighbor-offender who denied it was their cat) and they said it is perfectly legal for me to 'live trap' the cat and take it to the humane society. I don't want to do it, but I see it happening in the spring.... Crappy neighbor.

JayCat_67 1 year, 11 months ago

Place the live trap, then take the cat (while still in the trap) back to the offender's owner. Kinda hard to deny it at that point.

Water 1 year, 11 months ago

Those bohemians like to visit my home. They like to wiggle and twist around on my convertible's top. Walk thru wet concrete. Lay in wait under a shrub to attack another bohemian passing thru on his way to do nothing. They tell me stories of their adventures in exchange for food and then it's over the fence. It's fun to see two bohemians staring intently at a leashed dog squatting in my yard, doing his business. HEY! Hey wait a minute! Get that dog outta my yard! And clean up that crap! What can ya do huh? Am I right?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 11 months ago

I have 4 cats. When I was married, I loudly vowed that no cat was coming in my house. That is until my wife came home with Tiger, a white and grey striped "tiger" cat that she had paid good money for! Well, II got used to Tiger, and then the two cats my sons dragged home, Peach and Blackie. When we divorced, I let her have all three. But then it got awful quiet.

I went and got a kitten from a news ad, and gave "her" a girl's name. I took "her" to get her spayed and her shots. The Vet told me that I did not want to spay that cat, "he". wouldn't like it!" So now he suffers with a girls name and a male middle name. Solved that problem!!

Since then, we have aquired a beautiful calico from a former co-worker for my son. Then there was this cute little kitty at the shelter I just fell in love with the minute we saw each other. She was an outside cat previously, but now lives indoor with the other 3. Oh yes, a "friend" of my son was moving, and had a huge white cat that she did not want to take to the shelter, his being so obese they just might set him down.

So now we have 4 (four, count em) kitties. Two of them keep my feet warm at night and one grooms my beard every chance he gets. One sleeps on top of the china cabinent, one "guards" the house from atop of the TV entertainment cabinent. We have signs warning intruders of our "cat security system" and to avoid the "cat crossing"

Needless to say, I have certainly changed, my ex-wife loves to chide me that I used to be the world's worst cat hater, and now live with 4 of them, all indoor cats.

Bottom line, they are lovable and interesting, one parks his butt on my workbench when I am trying to work, one inspects every cardboard box that comes in the house, I would be lost without my "cat house". They are fascinating animals, and have very interesting habits and instincts.You ought to try one, remembering that they are diffrerent than a dog. They neet vet care and shots which are not too cheap. It is your responsibility to take care of them.

But remember the down side. The cat box. You need to keep em changed or your neeahbors will start complaining.

Check out the animal shelter, there are a lot of homeless kitties that would love to spice up your life!! And a donation would also be helpful (no I do not work there)

lllwhite77 1 year, 11 months ago

You haven't had a real back massage until you get one from a cat. My cat Kit seems to love it as much as I do. Purrrrr.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 11 months ago

Or be awakened at 3 am on a work day having your beard "groomed" by a sandpaper tounge in front of two beady blue eyes. You gotta love it!!

Kat Christian 1 year, 11 months ago

I have a cat that is absolutely TERRIFIED of the outdoors. Once I took her outside and walked as far as half the driveway and she freaked like nothing I've ever seen and let out the most God awlful cry and dug her nails into me. I can leave the front door wide open and she will not walk out of it, in fact she runs and hides. Whatever happened to her as a kitten tramatized her to the point that when we rescued her from the middle of 6th street years ago she has been ever so grateful to have a home and people who love her. Our Miss Gracie. My other cat uses the toilet and taught herself to do this. She was a rescue from the Animal Shelter. She hates the cat box and can't stand having kitty litter touch her bum so she saw me use the toilet and decided to so. I love cats.