Sound Off

Sound Off: Leash law in Lawrence

Does Lawrence have a leash law for dogs?

Yes. Dogs must be on leashes shorter than 6 feet and under control when outside of their fences, with the exception of dogs wearing electronic collars, according to the city’s pet ordinance on the city’s website. Owners must also clean up their animal’s waste.

Comments

Angela Heili 1 year, 4 months ago

@ the ironmouse. If used properly, just like a leash, e-collars are quite effective. I use one for my Aussie but rarely do I use the "shock" option. I mostly use the audible tone. However, I've been training dogs for over 25 years and my dog was very well trained long before I ever used an e-collar. She does very well off leash so I use the e-collar to comply with Lawrence leash laws. Granted, there are days when she's a bit overly excited and I'll put her on a 6 or 4 foot leash because I don't want to have to use the shock on the e-collar. Her personality is one that she doesn't respond well to strong reprimand.

As a side note, any e-collar I've ever purchased I've always tested on myself first so I know what level of correction I want to use or not use. Most e-collars the first level of correction is similar to putting your tongue on a 9-volt battery. It's just a tingle. The second is a little stronger tingle similar to a 10's unit used by a chiropractor. The third level is enough to really get your attention. Rarely, if ever do I go above the second level if I have to use it at all.

I would say, based on your description of e-collar maintenance and use, that it's not the e-collar that's a joke but the person using it that is. Any not willing to educate themselves with any dog training tool is a joke. In the hands of someone who is willing to educate themselves on the proper use, they are a very useful tool.

Also most e-collars now days are rechargeable. You plug them into an adapter that plugs into a wall. Hair build up isn't an issue and I've got an Aussie and she has a lot of thick, long fur. As a poster said, most accidents with children and dogs involve A) an uneducated dog handler who should stop a child from getting in the face of the dog and B) an uneducated parent who should've stopped the child if the parent was present at the time.

I agree with you that dogs shouldn't be allowed where food prep occurs. Dogs shed constantly and who wants fur in their food? Even dogs that "don't shed" will lose some fur. Maybe not a huge amount but there will be some loose hairs. My dog isn't allowed in the kitchen at all, whether food is being prepped or not.

As you can see, the common theme here is education not grumbling about how dogs shouldn't be allowed where children are and if you have to use an e-collar you shouldn't have a dog. It's the people not the dogs that are the problem.

parrothead8 1 year, 4 months ago

We live on a corner, and the same person always lets their dog poop in our yard, but they do it once they're past our fence-line so nobody can see who it is. I wish I could catch them in the act just once, because it's a real pain to clean up those big ol' dumps.

ImRonBurgandy 1 year, 4 months ago

I just wish they would outlaw PitBulls.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 4 months ago

If the dog is solo, scoop the poop, put in a plastic bag, tie the bag around the dog's neck and send it on it's way. fido's owner gets a present.

ridikkulus 1 year, 4 months ago

People who refuse to clean up after their dogs REALLY piss me off. I have four. Count 'em, FOUR. We ALWAYS have "poop-bags", and use them. They are ALWAYS on-leash when not in the fenced yard, and it's not a retractable piece-of-crap, either. Those are useless, and if anything, will TEACH a dog to pull. They do not ensure the safety of anything your dog should decide to chase, nor do they ensure the safety of your own animal. The dogs deserve better, the neighbors deserve better, and those of us who are capable of taking responsibility for our family members with fur deserve better. Always one or two jerks who have to screw it up for the rest of us, ya know?

Ginny Hedges 1 year, 4 months ago

workinghard - You sound like a very considerate neighbor. I wish my neighbors were. I don't think it is unrealistic for me to be able to go out in my own yard and enjoy it without seeing and smelling cat poop. My biggest concern is that someone will run them over accidentally or they will be underneath or around a vehicle and get hurt or killed. I guess I care more about their pets than they do and that is frustrating to me. I don't think that makes me an angry person like satcheljerk said. I just feel sorry for their cats because they aren't being cared for properly. Thank you for being a caring and loving owner.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

I just wish the damn deer wouldn't leave their pellet piles in my yard. And stay away from my garden.

Alexander Smith 1 year, 4 months ago

Well first of all.. Shock collars are a joke and should not be allowed. The industry likes to make you think that is is a perfect solution but its not. They require constant maintance or they don't work. Is it too lose, is the batteries in the colar good ..is the batteries in the remote good? is there hair build up under the contacts to prevent effect? people don't consider this.

Plus .. if you need a shock colar for your dog???? you Shouldn't have the dog.

Either way dogs should not be allowed in parks, grocery stores, or any place there is food prepared or children. Unless its a service dog were they are trained. People forget that most accidents involving children is not that the dog was mean..it was that the dog was playful and trampled the child trying to play... plus many people are allergic to dogs and cats. So health is a concern also.

Termcd4 1 year, 4 months ago

The police pulled me over when my passenger threw out an empty ketchup packet out her window. Luckily, we just got a warning.

workinghard 1 year, 4 months ago

"OH no! there is a dead mouse in my yard" No mice, but lots of birds, squirrels, and rabbits. You really think people should be ok with having to clean that up when it is not their cat?

workinghard 1 year, 4 months ago

I have an outdoor cat but I took the time and expense to make sure he cannot leave my property. A large portion is fenced off and cat escape proof. Took some work on my part but is he bothering the neighbors? Nope. You can have outdoor cats and keep them from bothering the neighbors at the same time.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

I have a neighbor down the block who is a real dick. So I walk my dogs at midnight and take them down to his lawn to take a crap.

It's either that or spraying Roundup in his lawn, so I prefer the lesser of the two crimes.

Clara Westphal 1 year, 4 months ago

There was a woman who passed my house every day walking her dog. She always stopped to let her dog dump on my lawn. One day I took a picture of her and her dog 'in action'. It never happened again.

I had a neighbor who had roaming cats. They were in my flower beds alot. It sure didn't smell like flowers. .

asixbury 1 year, 4 months ago

The leashes that reel in and out are ridiculous since they do not teach proper walking techniques to the dog. You are supposed to have the dog on a short leash so as to have more control. I hate when people on the walk/biking trails let their dogs run free. My dogs are leash-trained, but do not like other dogs. If a fight ensues, it is the stupid people letting their dogs off the leash's fault and is likely to get sued if my dog is injured. I really cannot stand irresponsible pet owners. My cats stay inside where it is much safer for them and not a nuisance to my neighbors. I don't find it a big deal to let them outside, but clean up after them!

irvan moore 1 year, 4 months ago

we walk our dog on a leash and we clean up after him, most of the folks in our neighborhood do the same. we have neighbors who let their cats run free and use part of our yard as a litter box, i feel really fortunate to have good neighbors and really don't think i have any thing to complain about

Ginny Hedges 1 year, 4 months ago

What disgusts me is my neighbors let their cats out to roam free and use my mulch as their private kitty litter. After cleaning up after their unsanitary messes too many times, I got rid of the mulch even though I didn't want to do that. I got tired of taking care of their cats. Guess they don't want to clean their own kitty litter in the house. They should have known when they got the cats that they would have to do that. So far, none of them have been run over and killed when they roam around. I called the Animal Control and they set a trap out for a few hours and that was that. You never know when they will be out, so they are hard to catch. Why don't pet owners take care of their pets??

MattressMan 1 year, 4 months ago

"At some point it takes personal responsibility because police can't and don't enforce every law"

Hit the nail on the head there KRich

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

At some point it takes personal responsibility because police can't and don't enforce every law.

Travel 47 in a 45. That is against the law but you won't get a ticket. Litter by throwing a cigarette butt out the window. That is against the law but you won't get a ticket. Let your dog poop and you don't pick it up. That is against the law but you won't get a ticket. No complete stop at a stop sign. That is against the law but you won't get a ticket.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 4 months ago

"...with the lease out much farther then 6 feet..."

That must be one detailed lease ... and strong enough to walk your dog.

/s

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

The folks in my apartment complex walk dogs with the lease out much farther then 6 feet and don't hesitate to let them charge up to you. Nothing like a yappy little dog challenging you on the sidewalk. People are just rude most of them and don't think twice about it.

Patriot2 1 year, 4 months ago

When I mentioned this issue to a recent "dog walker" they stated, "We just take them off the property and then management doesn't care!" Nice, so now it's the problem for the homeowners around the apartment buildings.

Patriot2 1 year, 4 months ago

Owners must also clean up their animals waste....? Wow........ Not going to happen.......ever walk the grounds around an Aberdeen apartment building? Parents of young children beware! Don't let your children walk or play on the grass unless you don't mind having them playing in and smelling like dogie poo!

irvan moore 1 year, 4 months ago

i knew there was a leash law but didn't know it was a 6 foot leash, i (and about everybody else i see walkig a dog) use the kind of leash that reels in and out

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 4 months ago

Are the people who ask these questions from the Planet Earth?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 4 months ago

But it is not enforced. Most dog owners do not know of the law. it was just something for a mayor at the time to sign, as to make it appear they were doing something.