Sound Off

Sound Off: Old schoolhouse by soccer fields

I frequently walk by the red brick building, which looks like an old schoolhouse, that is located at the northwest corner of Clinton Parkway/23rd Street and Iowa Street, at the Shenk soccer fields. Can you tell me about its history, original purpose and current purpose?

Comments

somebodynew 2 years ago

Well, maybe the LJW decided that since so many people here know everything, they would just give the opportunity for one of the posters to answer. You know, that way you get the correct, definitive answer immediately, instead of their answer being corrected or amended 2 or 3 times.

Sarah St. John 2 years ago

Good old Rural School Number Six!

Just one of the many rural schoolhouses of long ago...

Here's a nice picture of the area from the 1940s.

I believe it was operational until the 1950s.

If flintlockrifle gets on here, he can tell you about his old rural school playing baseball against No. Six, if I remember correctly.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

Sarah St. John, thank you! Shouldn't it be preserved as part of Lawrence and Kansas history?

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

And-thank you for turning me on to the wonderful photograph. Can you tell me more about him and his work? The photographs are beautiful. Why not a story on him?

xdcr 2 years ago

#6 was in operation until Wakarusa school was built around 1960. Mrs. Stanton was a longtime teacher there and then became Principle at Wakarusa. I attended Sigel (#8) first thru 8th grade. We played baseball against #6. Always got beat.

buffalo63 2 years ago

Wondering who owns it now and what are they doing with it?

kernal 2 years ago

Probably owned by the Lawrence School District or KU. Looks like it's being used for the storage of "stuff".

kuguardgrl13 2 years ago

I would guess that it's owned by KU since it sits so close to the soccer fields and Park & Ride. Either that or it is privately owned. I doubt that the school district owns it.

kernal 2 years ago

Mentioned that because at one time it would have been.

steveguy 2 years ago

When I was in grade school I went to a country school, Bismark. Had 8 grades in one room. I remember going to this red brick school to get shots. Had a visiting nurse and she just happened to be at this school at this time. I think it is being used as storage at this time.